What engine to change to?

8v Standard rebuilt w/ CAM etc
16v 9A/KR/ABF
G60 16v 9A/KR/ABF
Live with the G60 8v
You do not have permission to vote

Back to the top

Helios Blue S2 GTI

Oh dear mate not good news. :(20vt conversion??

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Oh dear mate not good news. :(20vt conversion??

Thaught about it, ironically had a 20v and swapped it for this G60 motor which was daffodil in every way  :lol:

But got my TFSI S3, and its made me not a great fan of turbo's lol

Thinking maybe 16v G60, but might just strip it and acid dip it and build it up slowly…. again haha, it been 2 years whats another 2  :ninja:

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'02 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
Any updates? :)

Back to the top
standard build mate, if not sell it to me...youve seen my work lol

Back to the top

das_auto said

Any updates? :)
Yeah there are some mate. G60 I had imploded basically, due to the guy I got it off having everything powder coated….. Inside of rocker cover + sand/ media = a nice grit paste around the engine on turning it over. Cheers Niko :o :ninja:Basically ready for the road now though. Bought a DX/ GTI engine to stick back in……. then got carried away and got another 8v G60 rebuild/ refreshed by VW 20k miles ago, so should be like new. All other supercharger bits etc have been carried over from old engine, so should make for a strong runner.

Original GTI engine to go back in when I've rebuilt it, going to go for a rework for the head and bottom end…. balancing etc make it the best it can. Might do carbs as well, as won’t be in a rush to get it banged in. Then sell G60 on.

Will get some pics later!

Swallowtail_uk said

standard build mate, if not sell it to me…youve seen my work lol
Nah I'm alright, its mine & staying that way. Happy pottering along slowly :thumbs::lol: 

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top

An update….

I didn't think It had been quite this long - December 2013! Yikes.

Anyway back to the matter at hand…

So, in the last few years what's gone on, not a lot, sadly, until the last few months

I could drone on about work and the birth of my daughter, but this is a car forum after all

I'll try skim update with the safe knowledge, now I have my password and a fancy camera I'll be updating it a lot more, well more than once every 2.5 years.

So, what's happened….

Anyone that's seen this thread knows I've a penchant for changing my mind on engines, and basically anything

So with the following pic ill show my decision -

I went for the character, and I think best engine for it….. you guessed it a 1.8 Gti lump

Having bought it a while back, I had the idea I'd do it all…. that slowly turned out not to happen. Basically after a week of dismantling

Fast forward a year or two and I plucked up the courage, and cash, to have a local engine builder give it a once over.

He's a reputation for building some hot MG A + B's and a few Mini's, he did have it over a year too, so not all my fault for thread slowness

I bought the engine as a runner in the past, with a good maintenance history. And it was, my engine builder saw relativity minor wear on most items.

Even down to the shells and oil pump. But I had it all swapped out for a fresh start. Sadly no pics, this was an 'old-school' place

The head was also overhauled, new valve seats, guides, and I could go on. Engine should be as new once its fired up.

Various stages once Id got the main bits back -

I also had my Gearbox 'done' by which I mean, it was sent off to a great place in Leeds, who stripped it, replaced as necessary.

'box was given a relativity clean bill of health, a few minor replacements - few bearings that would have been 'grumbly' and some Planet Gears which had taken to not liking the look of each other.

Should keep me going before its back apart for a diff'

As the pics show, I changed my mind on the OEM+ paint scheme, i.e. Aluminium and painted Iron. Instead, along side the (patchwork) Helios Blue, Black components. Something a bit different, all done @ a local powder coaters in Barnsley, top job, would highly recommend, ask if anyone wants the name of the place (not sure on forum rules for naming)

I also managed to source all stainless and black oxide cap head bolts - (visible locations) from the same place. Even some of the majorly obscure VW sized bolts

And all for about £40. I created a handy list of bolt sizes + locations of them, if anyone wants a copy/ posting on here.

So, for my own benefit and ramblings up to this point the following has been done over the last 2.5 yrs -

> Engine Overhaul to Standard Spec
 > Water pump replaced
 > Oil Pump replaced
 > All bearings replaced
 > All gaskets & seals replaced
 > All Bolts/ Studs/ Nuts replaced
 > Water outlet replaced to 'earlier spec' so to use air oil cooler
 > Thermo Switch replaced, and all other sensors
 > New 'old style' silicone hoses throughout
 > All new engine bushes L, R and a Diesel rear (never realised how much of a difference they make!)
 > Powersprint 4-2-1 manifold and system
 > New std spec GTI radiator

> Gearbox Overhaul to Standard Spec
 > Bearings replaced as required
 > Planet Gears replaced as required
 > Reverse switch replaced
 > Sachs standard clutch
 > ECP's finest Pagid clutch cable
 > Green end cap, (couldn't work out how to do the bearing sadly. Another day!)

> Car body + fixings
 > New Accumulator
 > New Stainless brackets for Accumulator And Fuel Pump
 > All new stainless fuel lines up the the metering head
 > Reverted to std GTI front brake setup, albeit i have grandiose plans of actually just setting it up correct w/ Brembo pads + discs
 > New steering rack, steering UJ Boot, rack boots and tie rods/ ends.

Other than that, I've tackled the windscreen .... easy they say, not so if your a male that thinks how hard can it be, bit of string a few choice swear words and yer done.

Erm yeah, didn't find it quite so.

So -

My choice of a new screen, a heated green tint item. Lovely looking thing (I obsessed over it for a long time)

I sold it to SWMBO as a quick job, not long, maybe 30 mins tops.... ill then get a take out pizza so we can admire our handy work.

Yes, not so.... 3-4 hours later and having at various points debated the best way of doing it (I will point out, the best way IS how its detailed on the forums, para cord and some form of lube-ooh er, to make the rubber pliable - I found pencils were also a very worth while item, and a small spoon, don't ask)

So, 'we' gave up after so long to fight it another day. Roll on the following day, I went to tidy the garage, and did it in less than an hour

We got to here -

Cleaned -

I now need to work out the finer details of what exactly to do with the weird little bug-type feelers for the heater element connections.

That brings us up to about now really, other than sticking the bonnet  back on (so, so, so badly stored - chipped, scratched and abused)

I went to town on it with some G3 and PB Blackhole + Natty wax.... looks better than it is

As it stands today - Literally today

So, if you've got this far I hear you crying thanks for the long post, not really said much than waffle on a bit, where's the good bits!?

I have to disappoint, but here's what's coming soon -

> New front panel (captive nut for the current 'new' panel has come off)
> Uprated JMR or Vagabonds + Epytec Front and Rear mounts
> New Hel Fuel lines in Red
> Hel Brake Lines
> Headlights to go on along side new trim pieces (old ones met with a rather frustrated angry end)
> S1 Dash to go in - Currently attempting wiring
> Engine Loom to go in
> New front hard line for brakes
> New fuel tank + pump (may as well, everything else is new)
> S1 Rear Panel to go on, some may have spied it on previous posts

Thanks for looking,
Adam.

Last edit: by adi3390

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
Nice project, glad you're back on it. Where did you source the heated screen from?

Back to the top
Welcome back!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

mike.d1979 said

Nice project, glad you're back on it. Where did you source the heated screen from?

It was from Ricky Evans motorsport, they dont look to have green tint listed on the website. I emailed though, and they were then in contact when a batch of them came in. It was a year or two ago thinking back!

Hairyarse said

Welcome back!

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
Cool. Thanks for the tip. They look quite cool

Sent from a phone, please excuse all the medium steaks. Stupid autocorrect!!

Back to the top

Helios Blue GTI

mike.d1979 said

Cool. Thanks for the tip. They look quite cool

Sent from a phone, please excuse all the medium steaks. Stupid autocorrect!!

Just looked at their website. They do a lot of them and seems a fair price too

http://www.heatedwindscreen.com/acatalog/vw-golf-mark-1-clear-heated-windscreen.html#SID=520

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Helios Blue GTI

Great project. Nice to see the car come together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Looking like a good base for a solid rebuild, hope it's better this time around!

Back to the top
Thanks for all the comments, their appreciated

So todays little job; Steering UJ Boot Protection

Picked up a heat shield from my local Audi place, whilst also getting stuff for my S3…. a thing to put you off modified cars

Anyway, on one of my many thread reading quests of an evening I came across Shughy's Tintop thread.

On page 10 or so I think he's used a Audi TT Intercooler shield for such a job as mine today, so a big thanks goes to him for an OEMish solution.

So ordered one up. I think it was around £18 ish…. I then proceeded to remove a little of the stitching to make it easier to place around the UJ Boot.

Pics -

Before

Now I'm after some opinions, because that manifold is damn as close as touching it … unsure if to have it swapped out or modded for some extra space. Saw what happened to Brads cabby some years ago.

Heat shield fitted -

If it wasnt touching before I'd take it as now….

I know I know, another non fun update, Ill try on the next one

Cheers,

Adam.

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top

Helios Blue GTI

So update time.

Some might have seen a few of my S1 bits up in the for sale section.

On the interior bits I did a part ex for some S2 bits, dash, lower pods, wing mirrors.

Came to the realisation I like a nice S2, and switching it to a half baked S1, without the all the little details to make it one, would just be wrong.

So, just a few pics before a 'proper' write up at the weekend, few bits to go on -

It took a fair few bits more than I remember removing!

So recent splurge have been

>Px Dash
>Px All black dash trim
>Headlight switch
>Gti clocks, reset the milage and tarted them up! They were a set on ebay… negotiated a decent deal on them
>Atiwe Indianapolis Colt steering wheel… grand sum of £15 from Latvia
>Momo Hub off ebay, and a pcd adapter
>Audi sport sump, not sure if it will be fitted
>NOS vaccum hoses
>Another S2 dash for internal clock support bits, ones missing on the px one grr
>MFA stalk and indicator, ebay again
>S2 Wing mirrors… now have a black plastic set and a colour coded set! Not sure which I prefer

As always would love to hear any comments

Until next time

Cheers
Adam

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
I've just read your whole thread, do I get a prize for working out how many times you've changed your mind?  :P

Keep the updates coming and get it running, then decide if you want to go down a different path but at least you're on the road.

And congrats on your daughter.  :thumbs:

• 1978 MK1 GL 2 door with 2.0 16v ABF, twin 40's, Recaros, lots of suspension mods. I'll get it back on the road one day.
  • 1991 MK2 GTI 4 door. Was my daily doing over 1000 ks a week until it hit a truck. RIP. Got another one now and loving it!
  • 1991 MK2 GTI 4 door for parts.
  • 1998 Seat Cupra + another used as a donor for the MK1
  • 1999 Passat Wagon. Needs street cred but at least it's a manual.

Back to the top
Hahahah 10 points as the prize ;)

Its not far off now fortunately… back to plan A after running through plans B to G ha.

And thanks :)  she is my new little helper on this… excuse for broken things ahem.

Ah there's the janspeed turbo for when its running! Long way in the future though

Cheers,
Adam

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
Here's a silly question but how fast do you want your car to be?

The reason I ask is I'm putting an ABF in mine running twin Dellortos. I don't want more than 180hp because I think it will spoil the car as a fun thing to drive. A lot of my driving is on country roads and I like having to think about where and how to overtake.

Too much power would make it too easy.

Cheers

Paul

• 1978 MK1 GL 2 door with 2.0 16v ABF, twin 40's, Recaros, lots of suspension mods. I'll get it back on the road one day.
  • 1991 MK2 GTI 4 door. Was my daily doing over 1000 ks a week until it hit a truck. RIP. Got another one now and loving it!

Back to the top
When I look at it now, I don't think I really want it much faster. The times I did drive it, it seemed fast enough!

If I'm honest anything 140+ is enough for me in it. Always felt 200 is the most for a balanced useable Mk1.

But big numbers look nice :-P

Plus my other car has nigh-on 400 horsies… so point a fly power is done in that one

Yours will sound nice B-)

Cheers
Adam

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
So a well worked 2.0 8v would suffice (and look original).

ABF would look nicer though.

engine0616_zps7f2f73da small.jpg

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.