What engine to change to?

8v Standard rebuilt w/ CAM etc
16v 9A/KR/ABF
G60 16v 9A/KR/ABF
Live with the G60 8v
You do not have permission to vote

Back to the top

Helios Blue S2 GTI

Cheers  :D its getting there slowly. Am actually in Penistone so not quite barnsley but close, and I know Royston quite well  :)

Cheers,
Adam.

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'02 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
penistone is that bit in the country on way t manchester? if so ive been there a gd few times, few mates live there

Back to the top
Aye it is, about 5 mins from the woodhead road to manchester.

Adam.

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
Loving the work, cars going to look ace when done  :wink:

Back to the top
Small tiny update, just waiting on a friend of a friends electric gun thing to get the top caps off my old suspension before the front set-up goes on, then it'll be on the floor again !! …. well almost.

Bit of a change on the old engine front as well, swapped my 20V T jobby for a 8v G60 Unit. Bit more old-school and characterful in my eyes :D. Had grand plans of making it a 1.9 straight away, but a charger rebuild soon put that dream to bed ~ £515 later.

How it arrived at mine -

It had/ has one problem tho - a bolt had snapped off inside the head :( (Bottom one of the two)

So rather than have a go myself - would make an absolute mess if i did ! I whipped the head off to my localish mechanics to have a go at !

How it is now :

Boxes upon boxes of G-lader related paraphernalia  :twisted:

Its new play-mate, an 02J box off the 1.8T left behind after the swap. Should give better ratios in 1+2nd as well as being newer. Glad I found the guide on converting it to a worm drive to fit the original clocks !  :D

More updates soon ! thanks for looking :D

Adam.

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
Not much of an update really, but nevertheless thought I'd put something up here, so it keeps me going !

No real good pictures at the mo, just stuff off my phone, but will update when the camera is found,

Finally pulled my finger out and did something to the golf after a few months of moping around and avoiding it like the plague/ just not looking at it in the garage when going to the freezer.

Finally got it off the roll over jig, did it on my own with the help of my engine crane !  :D

Then this morning decided to refurbish the rear bumper

From this :

To this :

A lot better, albeit with dust on it already

All the back-end wirings done as well, seats and door cards in, just got to run the seatbelts, but not manned up enough to tackle them yet

Also having sold my RZ's as they wont fit over the 280mm front set up, I got a set of beasty 13" steels of my mate, still had to take all the callipers off so they'd fit hahahaha  :roll:

Gives me an idea of how the 15" G60 steels will look being the same design though  :twisted:

Dash wiring's next then onto dropping the G60 into it  :mrgreen:

Any comments as always are welcome,

Cheers,
Adam.

Edit* The steel wheels and jig are up for sale if anyone wants them, and I'm on the look out for some nice 15" alternatives to G60 steels for new year time  8)

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
Nice job  - I'd really like to get the underside of mine cleaned up, re-sealed and rebushed etc as I use it all year round (although it's not exactly a 'daily'!)

Would be tempted by the roll over jig if you weren't so far away for collection….

Keep it up - will be great when it's done and the G60 should make it plenty scary enough!
 :D

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top
Cheers Mike, I hope to use mine daily when its done, providing insurance isn't too ridiculous.  8O Was north of 1k for me when it was standard aha let alone modified.

I was sceptical about the jig when I first got it - a backlash buy of being under the 28+ years of road dirt doing the gear linkage and it going in my eyes ! But I have to say made it so much easier specially when it can do 360 degrees and stay upside down at 180, running brake lines + fuel lines was a doddle ! All of 30 mins.

Have come to the conclusion about selling the jig that I'd have to meet people half way or so, as most of the interest has come from down south compared to up here.

Cheers for the comment  :D

Adam.

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
Small update,

Cars a bit further along, re-wired the inside of the car in about 3 hours not a big job once the radio wires were removed  :roll: so seats/ dash etc are now in

Brakes are on, but not connected pipe wise  8O another job but not a big one.

Just finished setting up the 'big brake' upgrade, may be a bit much on such a little car but hey ho 280mm on the front and 232mm on the back , fronts fill the entire wheel LOL  :mrgreen:

Small clearance !

Also got the wheels a few weeks a go from Jamie (Rabbit82) still really happy with them, they'll look even better when their refurbed   :D Not seen them before Compomotive CX-N 15" have a really nice but not OTT dish

Also managed some rear camber somehow ?  :dontknow: Might need to grind somemore metal off the beam  :(

Even had a dilemma in recent days as regard to the trim: Single or Twin Grille !? I'm leaning to twin. But good to hear peoples thaughts  ? :D

Camber on the front is waaayyy off on the N/S so need to sort that

Otherwise the focus is on the engine ! Supercharger has been taken to be overhauled at OCD - Only Charged Dubs in Doncaster, bit of damge was found but has been fixed and subsequently taken to stage 4 aka ported :D Looks to have been a snapped timing belt on the 'charger.

Thanks to Matt for the charger build pics+ work done on it  :D

Elsewhere I've been dawdling about taking the engine apart, need to find piston rings + gasket sets as its a full rebuild going on. Sourced a new head for not much money to replace the old one (water flange bolt hole was knackered !)

So pressure test/ clean and a skim along with the block - skim and bore honing next and it'll be going in, with a view to some head work by JMR soon to release a bit more power :) but focus is getting it running for now.

How it stands

Thanks for looking !

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
Not posted for a while, bit of a big update ish

G60's now in…… not detailed in any way……. just want to hear it start   :mrgreen: Just waiting on the loom atm, and a rad, I/C, starter and little niggly bolts for the tensioner LOL

Not much clearance down the side  8O …….. getting the tenisoner on is gonna be fun!

Inside's all done…… mostly need to sort the radio out/ speakers…. gonna place them under the dash and remove the door pockets, give a neater look IMO

Also the door's no longer drop, which is a bonus !

Came back from Elsecar meet yesterday and had some renewed enthusiasm, results are driveshafts on, and lowering  8)

Think there is scope to go lower still by about 1", but want to keep the splitter on and not bottom out on all the potholes around here haha!

Oh if anyone has a starter.m they dont want anymore let me know  :D

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
Stunning

Back to the top
Slight update ……… not a lot of pictures, but as I hope you'll all agree…….. getting better slowly.

Helios blue is quite annoying to get a colour match over panels  :o

Pain in the ass trying to get the quarter panel blown in/ colour matched to the rear panel at home……. still not bad for rattle cans sprayed by my mate?Then Just gave up and power polished it after some lacquer, all better than primer

Me and my mate had some pretty frustrating times….. starter I got was cack….. fuel pump relay was broke….. earths were turning out live?

So its taken a shed load of cash to get the G60 up and running lol! Hours and hours of fun with the injectors being live at ignition then turning off on cranking, switched it to a permanent live………… almost had bleeding ears when it roared into life at the first turn!

Still needs the cooling plumbing in…. waiting  to be able to afford hoses, as I'm now poor jobless university graduate.

Only had it running for a few seconds at a time. But here's the result. Fully rebuilt bottom/ top-end  1.8 PG G60, with 65mm pulley, solid tensioner and 90mm intake and boost return delete.

Video

Oh and no boost piping or exhaust system haha……… their on my to do list, brakes bits are on order  :wub:

Just need a job now…. to be able to afford it properly  :D

Cheers

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
This car is gonna be so sweet Helios blue is def the best colour!!!

Back to the top
Lookin good fella can't wait to finally see you on the road

It dunt fit

Back to the top
What handbrake cables have you finally decided upon ? Seeing that the 6N polo is not much bigger than the Mk1 & virtually uses the same braking set-up would these not be a direct swap ?

ps:single grill for me   :wink:

Back to the top

dub-step said

This car is gonna be so sweet Helios blue is def the best colour!!!

Cheers mate, I'm starting to love it again after all the engine work haha Paints going to be next on my list so its all one colour, think their is about 3 different shades on there haha. I'll be a very very happy man if it comes out anything as immaculate as yours!  8)

BigandDaft said

Lookin good fella can't wait to finally see you on the road

Aye not be long now till its around penistone  :D

Cero said

What handbrake cables have you finally decided upon ? Seeing that the 6N polo is not much bigger than the Mk1 & virtually uses the same braking set-up would these not be a direct swap ?

ps:single grill for me   :wink:

Handbrake cables, I've got from C&R enterprises nice fit, but not cheap  8O £65ish IIRC Went down the whole Scirocco 16v route but they were a tad short with brand new pads. But C&R ones are custom for hte mk4 calipers so do the job perfect. Brake hoses fit up nicely to the original flexi lines too, being part rigid and part flexi themselves, and all interchangeable with mk4 golfs lol Makes it chaeper from ECP for bits

Not sure for the fronts as I've G60 front calipers but the back brakes were relativity easy to get on, stub axle bolts straight up to the mk1 bolt pattern on the beam so everything goes on without too much fuss, apart from trimming a lip of metal off the beam that used to hold up/ mount the drum brakes correctly, 2 min job with an angle grinder  :D

Apart from that they've been an easy change from the drum brakes, alot lighter than mk2 ones and also none of that sticky handbrake cables :lol:

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
Haha and I would be chuffed to have that motor in mine :)

Back to the top
Haha If i can do it anyone can! I had no mechanical knowledge at all before jumping straight in, Most I'd ever done was the gear linkage prior to it   8O 8)

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
Hahahah now tht does sound promising because I am basically the same I mean I've done the usually like starters and exhausts etc but it does seem like you say jumping in at the deep end haha :P think the mechanical part I'd be okay with just the wiring would be baffling! Very impressive job youve done tho!!!!

Back to the top
Wow, not updated this in a year ! Time flys when working :dry:Well I'll update, up until a week ago I'd almost finished; new exhaust setup on, engine rebuild and back in, brakes done.

Just stuck the interior in…… happy days almost ready for MOT and taxing then, decided to take the engine out to put the blanking plate under the drivers side mount to give a bit more clearance for the tensioner bracket, save giving the chassis leg a shave…… manifold stud snaps :ocf_emoticons__BangHead:Then decide to check the VIN/ engine no, never crossed my mind to check before. ** Drum roll** its gone, missing, wiped off :o, effectively showing that its been nicked at some point.

So hand on heart I couldn't run it in my Golf as I wouldn't be able to update my V5 properly ( I don't think) In any case its somewhat tainted now in my eyes. Shame as basically everything bar pistons/ rods, crank and block is brand new.

So this happened; LOL

Which has left me with a nice clean and installed interior but not a lot else

Just got to keep faith and think of a new engine project for it, or start again a dismantle the whole thing :ninja:…… again

But I'd like an idea what other people would do:

Go original
(A) 8v Standard rebuilt
(B) 16v 9A/KR/ABF
(C) 16v 9A/KR/ABF G60
(D) Live with the 8v G60
(E) Part the thing out for bits and weigh it in :(Cheers,
Adam.

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.