Skip navigation

polo gt engine rebuild

Back to the top

polo gt

polo gt engine rebuild

hi, tyhe engine code is ADX 032491
so obviously this makes it n ADX engine but what cc is that??
if it is a 1.3 is it a lower compression than the gt block
if so could i put the gt pistons and rods onto the ADX crank to up the compression back to the gt ??

thanks for help  :D

Back to the top
A quick google shows it to be a 1.3 8v, so prob 55bhp(?)

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
ya 1.3, 94-97 polo lump.

cant find any numbers that match so i dont think gt internals are going to fit :(

I'm no expert though so you never know!but I checked pistons, rings, crank, block, gasket, head etc all different numbers

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

polo gt

so trying to swap the crank over would be a waste of time?
and to use the non gt bottom end with just putting the gt head and box to it, im going to be losing out on the torque/power from not having the gt bottom end?

Back to the top
you could try, but i cant tell you if it will fit or not. same with pistons, rods etc. not even sure if the head will swap over as i say gasket number doesnt match any mk3 polo part. though it is metal, but the g40 one is too

personally id just get a 1.4 ABD bottom end out of a mk3 golf if i was going to all the effort of an engine swap.

i'll see if i can find any details on the compression etc of this engine though

Back to the top

polo gt

thanks a lot for all this  :D

what sort of years am i looking at for the ABD and was it only in the mk3 golf or was it other varients

cheers again

Back to the top
ABD:
91-95 golf/vento
94-95 cordoba
93-95 ibiza

might be ok to use the later blocks actually i think problem is on mk2/3 polos they need a certain block configuration and this changed later on? maybe mk1 needs the same but im not sure!  as you can tell im hardly a smallblock expert im afraid :(

Back to the top

polo gt

ive read that the swap isnt as straight forward as first thought so maybe give it a miss

do you know of any insides that i could replace mine with such as the crank and bearings, thats all i need

would i be able to buy a new crank and bearing set from anywhere?

supose VW would have stopped making things a week old as usual

Back to the top
I'd forget about trying to rebuild the internals of your existing engine and simply try to obtain another small block engine. It seems you have 4 choices:

1. Standard Mk1 Golf 1.3 engine. Might be hard to find a good condition one now. Might need to adapt or revert things back to standard
2. Proper Polo GT engine. Since your car's engine conversion isn't one of these, you might need to adapt more stuff, etc as in 1
3. Search around for a direct replacement of yours. This makes the install simple (if everything in the engine conversion was done right) but limits your choices
4. Use some other small block engine. Once again, adaption may be necessary.

I can't see the point of doing an engine conversion and the resulting one being 55bhp, but it makes a lot of sense to adapt a newer engine which has more power, if the adaptions aren't too onerous.

Back to the top

polo gt

i have a full mk3 polo gt 3f conversion with everything from the lift pump and fuel pipes to the digifant engine management…absoloutly everything as i bought a whole running tax + mot'd car to do the conversion

the problem i have with it is thats its done 110 thousand miles and not been treated very well so is sounding a bit sick especially when pressing the clutch…this has all been narrowed down to play in the crank and big ends

i cant be arsed naffing about with 1.4 block for the sake of some crank bearings and re-ground crank which is all i need

the rest of the engine is absoloutly tip top and never skips a beat as its had a lot of time spent on it getting it running spot on (within reason because of the crank)

i have a spare ADX engine that i ran prior to the conversion which is a 1.3 but i dont really wanna waste time stripping it back to find its completely wrong

so if you or anyone has any sugestions it would be getting me out of a big mess before a shell spins over or something £££ related

Back to the top
whats difficult about the ABD swap? so far as I knew the bottom end is identical to the mk1/2 1.3 block externally? the head is the same as a polo GT, the only problem with that is it has no hole for a mechanical fuel pump. but thats no issue to you as its a GT conversion already

Back to the top

polo gt

i heard that you had to do something to the top of the pistons to compensate for the gt camshaft??

obviously eitther read it wrong ?   :dontknow:

Back to the top
1st ive heard of that, got a linky?

Back to the top

Re: polo gt

shinny said

i heard that you had to do something to the top of the pistons to compensate for the gt camshaft??

obviously eitther read it wrong ?   :dontknow:

Nope :wink: I ran an ABD with a GT cam and none of that was needed. Absolutely no more hassle than fitting any of the polo engines :D

GT engines are an absolute rip off as well, and ABDs are very cheap and much faster when coupled with the GT cam 8)

Back to the top

polo gt

and ABD with a gt cam? is that going to be the same as swapping the gt head onto the abd block??

Back to the top
yep as gt head is same as abd :)

Back to the top

polo gt

does it also have the same valve set up as in the size and twin valve springs?

Back to the top
yes the head is the same as equivalent age gt ;)

Back to the top
The only reason you'd need to worry about piston valve contact is if you fit an aftermarket cam with massive valve lift into a GT bottom end. :wink:

The ABD head may or may not have the double valve springs but it won't make a difference either way, the only thing which makes a noticeable difference between the GT, ABD, and the rest of the polo 1.3 engines is the cam.

Fit ABD, fit GT cam, fit bike carbs or whatever, and you'll have a car which embarasses 1.8s 8)

Back to the top

polo gt

thanks alot for all the help people
i am thinking of fitting the whole abd engine as it gives me a chance to work on it when its out the car and still have my daily

GT gearbox also?..my one is excellent although constant gear changing is wearing a bit thin :(

as for throttle bodies/ twin carbs…i havent seen anything on it for a gt and the idea of it having to go on a rolling road to get the most is putting me off the mose…i would prefer tbs and keep the fuel rail as aposed to carb  8)  any help on that??

struggling to find an engine close enough though and at a right price also  :(
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.