Skip navigation

Mike's MK1 GTi Campaign

Back to the top

Mike's MK1 GTi Campaign

Hi All,

Signed up a long time so thought it best to finally share my cars with you.

Currently have MK2 Golf GTi 16v (small bumper), Corrado G60 and my MK1 Golf GTi Campaign.

Have to say this one is my favourite :)

Right, best make a start on this one [:)]

For a long long time, I always wanted to own a MK1 GTi.

Book after book, magazine after magazine, website after website I read them all and listened to all the stories people had to tell - I was intrigued and hooked. Many years later even having owned spanking newer generations of GTi, the MK1 was still the one I had to have. I still to this day regard it as the original and the best. It was the catalyst of a whole pile of fast affordable cars and there is always something special by getting into a MK1 and bringing it for a good run to stretch its legs and flex its chassis. It was one of the few cars where the engineering department had a greater say over the marketing and sales people which doesn't really happen too often.

When I discovered the availability of a classic insurance policy I decided to make the leap and the search started. The criteria was simple, I wanted a good straight one and I wanted a run out model Campaign.

A detailed listed and background to the subtle Campaign differences can be found here:
 http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=7

After much searching, I eventually went back to a Tim Browne in Wales who had previously given me some guidance on how to identify a good one. Off I flew to Wales, collected the car and made the infamous trip back through Holyhead to Dublin.

The car is reasonably well known at various VAG shows both North and South of Ireland and has already picked up a number of awards including the most flattering to date being Best MK1 of Show at Castlewellan.

Anyway, even though the car is what some would consider a completed project I have been gathering a selection of parts to improve the car. My intention is to maintain it's originality but to make subtle changes to give the car some improvements and to make it even better.

This thread will outline work as it progresses. Some inital pictures to start with:

My MK1 1.8 GTi Campaign

Shot from Castlewellan 07 where it won Best MK1 of show

Recent pic from Gandon meeting

Mike

MK1 Golf Gti - Mars Red Campaign / MK2 Golf Rallye SE/ MK2 Golf Gti - Black 16v (small bumper) / Corrado - Red G60 / Porsche 911 (Daily)

Back to the top
First the suspension:

Suspension:

A popular and effective combination, springs will be Eibach and shocks will be Koni top adjustable:

Strut bolts

I'm considering an Eibach ARB set but have decided to wait until the above is fitted.

Finally, all bushes are being replaced with uprated Powerflex.

Including the rear axel bolts refreshed

New wishbones and ball ends

K bar will also be fitted to tighten up the front suspension (sample pic)

Mike

MK1 Golf Gti - Mars Red Campaign / MK2 Golf Rallye SE/ MK2 Golf Gti - Black 16v (small bumper) / Corrado - Red G60 / Porsche 911 (Daily)

Back to the top
Rear brakes will get a full overhaul too. Drums, shoes, brake cylinders and sundry springs etc.

Mike

Back to the top
There will be some work at the top end

and a nice new mild Kent GS1 cam (its the one on the right - for comparison, the one on the left is a standard GTi cam so you can see the difference on the lobe profile)

New springs

New valves

and to complete the sequence a vernier pulley

;)

Mike

Back to the top
New stretch bolts, oil deflector, tensioner and cam belt….

I have tested the compression of the engine and all is very well so no bottom end work is planned for the moment but will take a closer look and inspection when the time comes to fit the following windage tray

and of course fresh oil and filter ;)

Mike

Back to the top
a wee look at the refurbed P's [8D]

Mike

Back to the top
Forgot these bits:

Autotech Intermediate Shaft Pulley

New manifold…

And decided to refresh the pump too…

Mike

Back to the top
Few more bits will be replaced around the bay but next up is the exhaust:

Supersprint stainless steel manifold and Jetex stainless steel exhaust system front to back

hung using Powerflex hangers

Mike

Back to the top
Now for some more shiney bits :P

I have a spanking new distributor to fit and have decided to give one of these KStar modules a go:

and new leads, plugs and coil.

Out of sequence but here is what's planned for a bit of front stopping power:

Brakes:

Front callipers, discs and pads will all be renewed.

The Callipers will be 256mm from a Scirocco 16v

Discs are ATE powerdiscs - vented and grooved and griped by EBC pads.

Mike

Back to the top
The mastercylinder and servo will be upgraded (MK2 16v) and a set of Goodridge braided hoses added.

Splash guards

So as you can see the plan is pretty much:

1. overhaul electrics - dizzy, Kstar, plugs etc and new fuel pump
  2. Top end rebuild, cam, valves, cam belt, tensioner etc
  3. double check bottom end
  4. exhaust from manifold to rear box
  5. all beams, wishbones refurbed and powerflex bushed
  6. brakes front and rear
  7. steering, ball joints etc

Mike

Back to the top
Decided to freshen tie rods and ends on both MK1 and MK2.

Note: originals are not threaded nor adjustable on both sides but when getting replacements you can get both threaded. Just makes it slightly more convenient and less confusing when the guys are setting up alignment etc

Note the subtle differences between the two generations. MK1 is straight ended and MK2 has slight angle.
MK2 is upper one

MK1

MK2

Rubber boot

Mike

Back to the top
OK, I sourced this MK1 beam during the summer. The plan is to fully rebuild this one and swap out the existing one on my car. The beam will be blasted and painted. The brakes will be fully refurbed and a new Eibach ARB fitted. Powerflex bushes will also be introduced during the rebuild.

This post describes the strip down process which will cover:
  1. Anti roll bar removal
  2. Brakes

These beams are now close on 30 years old so some preparation is recommended before you belt ahead with the work. Prior to starting the job, I sprayed all bolts with easing oil a couple of times.

First up the tools. Big lever can be handy!  ;)
    [/list:o]

The beam itself was in reasonable condition. The arrows below indicate the areas you need to tackle. The anti roll bar is held in place in 4 locations using a combination of straps and clips. I will be fitting a set of Eibach ARBs at a late stage and the kit includes the new parts required to attach ARB to beam.

Loosen off the bolts holding the retaining clip. The easing oil made this relatively easy.

The clip once removed looks like this.

Next you need to tackle the straps. The straps are secured by a tapered top plate - see red lines. Bend the retaining tab upward and using a hammer and punch tap it off. Unfortunately mine was well secured so I ended up having to cut the plate down the middle. The straps and plates are still available from Crazyquiff in UK if you need them.

The removed strap. Note the grooves at either end where the retaining plate is secured.

Next hold head of the bolt and loosen off the retaining nut.

You should then be left with the selection of parts below. Bush will need to be removed and parts blasted and painted as needed.

The removed ARB  :)

Mike

Back to the top
After all that rusty stuff I thought it better to lighten things up with some shiney stuff [:D]

Inside, some minor fixes needed but biggest update will be getting leather steering wheel refurbished, refresh the carpet.

Some pics of other minor bits and pieces:

Some fresh badging

Now back to the rust again [:s][:y:]

Next up the brakes.

First up remove the end cap, pin, nut, bearing and drum.

Before removing the assembly, loosen off the retaining bolt for the brake cylinder at the back

Next loosen the 4 bolts as indicated. Note the lower arrow which points to a little clip with prevents the brake spring mechanism getting fouled. The  big lever may be needed at this point  :P

The clip - put away for safe keeping! Note the full spring clip is still available. I got mine in ECP.

What the end of the beam looks striped:

and the rear of the plate

The striped MK1 beam

When I get the beam back I will post it rebuild steps here also.

Mike

Back to the top
Just for comparison sake here is a selection of pics of the MK1 beam alongside the MK2 beam.

Mk1 is the lower one in this pic

MK1 on the left

MK1 on the right

MK2 is the lower pic. Note the way the bar is located

The rubber bush guide

Threaded through….

welded and secured….

Mike

Back to the top
Found these pics too:

Some of the other bits heading off to be blasted and painted. Mixture of rocker covers, rad, K-bars.

I have some more parts to be done but need to dig them out this week. Just showing these pics so as again you see before and after to get an understanding of what is possible.

K-bar, one of left is actually fine but I'd like to get it touched up.

Mike

Back to the top
Some interim pics of sand blasting….

Mike

Back to the top

Very happy with first phase.

This is what they looked like before!

Mike

Back to the top
Some powder coating pics. Really happy with the way they turned out. Apologies in advance as pics aren't great but you'll get the idea. It's also very reassuring when they go to the effort of wrapping the job after it's done to protect the paint.

I'll put up better pics when it's all being reassembled.

nicely wrapped up

Didn't strip the beams but you can see the end result

Note: shafts were wrapped in tape

Mike

Back to the top
Different project but this is a Rocco 16v exh manifold:

Rocco 16v Callipers

All parts so far are satin finish whereas callipers are gloss…

Mike

Back to the top
more nasty stuff….picked up this brake mechanism and wishbones with a view to refurbing and rotating them in….

I have new aftermarket MK1 wishbones but given the way the sand and powder work is turning out I picked up a pair of originals to get the treatment also. I'll see how they turn out then select the best option.

Also, the infamous brake linkage from the MK1. Planning on refurbing this also. Again a variety of pics below to see how it all hangs together. Will get better ones after the refurb for those interested.

Mike

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.