Skip navigation

Engine Problems

Back to the top

Engine Problems

andi71 said

I had the same problem.struggling for power,cutting out and not starting straight away.It was my wire from the coil to the fuel pump relay had gone knackered.

This is a carb model, it has a mechanical fuel pump

Back to the top
the pumps can fail, so it might be wort ha look at that later. also check the fuel reservoir on the front of the head. ive seen people bypass them and solve fuel starvation issues, though i never could figure out why this would help

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks alot for the replies....This morning i took the car out and let her rev for around 10 mins, revved perfectly at 900 ish thanks to the brand new weber. I then went and parked on a really steep slope in my garden and she cut out in about 20 seconds, having revved perfectly for 10 mins. This emphasized to me that it isnt a power issue and must be fuel as the engine wasnt even in gear, it turned off just sitting there idling...........I therefore tested the fuel pump and it was squirting fine.........Im wondering if this could be possibly due to pressure being relieved when i took the pipe off....this could be completely wrong. Just now i went and filled her up and it went up the hills much better but not perfectly. It still loses power at around 4500 revs. Tomorrow i will try bypassing the resevoir to see if that is effective. Has anybody had simular issues and does anybody think that pressure problems in the fuel are anything to do with it. Oh also rubjonny thanks for the advice on the airbox, im fairly confident the carb icing has dissappeared...

Back to the top
Its unlikely to be fuel pressure issues caused by mechanical wear or faulty components, since a carb only needs to be supplied fuel at a pressure marginally higher than 0. Fuel is supplied at excess and the return line returns the remaining. They can still fail, but when they do they tend to either work or not work, not produce poor running.

It could be a fuel blockage, eg caused by rust/dirt, though.

But it sounds more like carb icing or a lean/rich condition at load & speed.

Back to the top
maybe there is a slight leak somewhere introducing air into the fuel?

Back to the top
i think i mentioned earlier that the rubber mount on top of the manifold is slightly perished. Could this affect it ?? Going to give the tank a clean today and will report back. Thanks for the help

Back to the top
if its perished enough to give you an air leak for sure, does it look liek the carb is able to rock back enough to open an air leak when on a hill?

dont know if either of these ones will fit:
http://www.vwspares.co.uk/g2other.php

Back to the top
it doesnt really rock, but i think i should replace it anyway, getting the petrol out of the tank at the mo to clean out rust and debris. The little filter at the bottom of the fuel guage sender was a bit blocked, could this have caused problems. Also can anybody tell me where to find this filter on my car. Its the 1st 2nd and 3rd pictures on this thread…….The Mk1 Golf Owners Club. Thanks

Back to the top
you dont have that one, its in the k-jet main pump only :)

Back to the top
cool, so i just went out and she flew better than before. Im pretty sure i figured out why. On the bottom of the fuel sensor bit the filter was blocked with pieces of paint that had fallen off the inside of a jerry can.......DONT fill your car with an old flakey can......im hoping that was the problem and its now solved but i rekon i will be back here asking the guru rubjonny for more advice. Thanks everyone for helping . Ali

Back to the top
damn i actualy guessed something right for a change lol by saying there was stuff in the fuel getting to the carb like i used to have in the driver.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.