Skip navigation

help tonneau cover

Back to the top

help tonneau cover

hi i have just bought a tonneau cover off ebay it was off a 1981-82 clipper but it not fit on my 1990 clipper did they change the roof fittings in anyway as this cover has press studs in a diffrent place ?

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Keiron foster Forever Fund for Meningitis UK

xxx jen xxx

Back to the top
Hi,

The early hoods used to sit higher than the newer ones - they changed the design in 1982 according to cabby-info.com - which might explain why it doesn't fit.

Not sure about the press studs though.

On my '87 Clipper:

For the internal fitting:
It has little elastics with metal hooks on the end (attaches to plastic trim either side of rear seat) and velcro tabs (attach to the bottom of the parcel shelf).

Externally:
It has 1 press stud either side (attach to roof hinge cover with the two screws in - one screw has the male part of the press stud built in) and the two hooks at the back which go into the loops of material that pop out from the back of the hood.

However there was no Clipper before 1987, so if it was advertised for a Clipper maybe you could send it back?

James

1987 Mk1 Golf Clipper Cab - SOLD
1984 Citroen Acadiane Mixte
1968 Mk3 Triumph Spitfire
1977 Saab 96 V4
1987 Citroen 2cv

Back to the top
thanks for your help this is the one ive just had delivered and it just does not seam to fit :(

xxx jen xxx

Back to the top
I've not seen one like that before.

T

Back to the top
yeah my old one that i had with my blue golf had the velcro on and the press studs on the side …
why is it always me getting ripped off on ebay :(
it said mk1 golf tonneau cover on the listing and has 100% feed back

xxx jen xxx

Back to the top
does anybody have an idea what this is off as i dont have a clue and ive asked the seller if i send it back will you refund me but he said no so stuck with this cover with no idea what car its off.. got to put a paypal claim in now :( hate ebay

xxx jen xxx

Back to the top

veramk1 said

does anybody have an idea what this is off as i dont have a clue and ive asked the seller if i send it back will you refund me but he said no so stuck with this cover with no idea what car its off.. got to put a paypal claim in now :( hate ebay

It was originally for a cabby but its been repaired at some point.

Back to the top
yeah but it dont fit my car the press studs are in the wrong place and whats the orange things for then?
when i had my blue cabby the tonneau cover had velcro strips on it that went down the back of the seats and hooks on the back that hooked onto the roof..
im stuck with the stupid thing now :(

xxx jen xxx

Back to the top
It doesnt fit because its been repaired very badly.

The orange straps are part of the bad repair.

Raise a dispute with paypal I would.

Item not as described.

Back to the top
it looked the same as my old one on the photo but it just not fit … the seller has said he had it on his clipper that he still has on his drive way think im being taken for a ride again..
needed this for my big sister's wedding this weekend :(
i will go try and fit it again and put some photos on of the STUPID COVER!!!

xxx jen xxx

Back to the top
I would ask the seller where they were connecting the straps ect.

Failing that I would open a dispute with paypal.

I had to open a dispute before and paypal are very helpful when it comes to buyers.

Dont leave it to long as you only get a certain amount of time.

Back to the top
I would ask for a picture of his car with it fitted and also see how it fits onto his car, does he give you a description on how it fits?

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
this is what its like on my vera :(

xxx jen xxx

Back to the top
i have put the orange straps on the parcel shelf but i think if i was to blast down the A30 it would blow off :(

xxx jen xxx

Back to the top

xxx jen xxx

Back to the top
I wouldnt use it if I was you.

Its not fit the purpose anymore.

Where are the studs that lock in place?

I know I keep saying it but your only option is to raise a dispute with paypal.

Back to the top
i have opened a dispute :)

xxx jen xxx

Back to the top
Good news.

Paypal are very helpfull if an item is not as described.

Back to the top
yeah i had the same problem a couple of months ago when i won a mk1 golf gti hard top i paid a deposit then went to collect the car and it was a pile of shit took ages to get my money back but i won in the end :)

xxx jen xxx

Back to the top
That cover is from/for a 1979-1981 Cabriolet.  The give-away are the snaps across the front and the shape of the rear portion of the cover.  The retaining straps are not original; those are repair add-ons in order to make the cover work with a 1982+ Cab.

Here's hoping you have better luck with your dispute than I did; however, it's possible that your seller did not genuinely know that all covers are not the same ("it worked on mine, so it will work on yours!").  I ended up settling for a partial refund with the cover I bought off eBay for a premium several years ago: Seller said in the ad that it was "like new!!", but he took forever to ship it and, worse, it was missing parts – seller tried to tell me the missing parts were not factory original, but were extras you could buy separately – and it was rusty and filthy… "well, you should've asked for additional photos".  Yeah, well you should've been honest in your description, buddy!  eBay… :roll:

1986 Mk1 Cabriolet
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.