Skip navigation

Hot Cabbys Thread

Back to the top

Hot Cabbys Thread

just found this ….tissues at the ready theres some realy nice cars on this thread 8)

CLICK ME

Back to the top
Some nice looking cars there.

It does however confirm to me that original is best :-)

Back to the top
each to there own :wink:

this ones perfect for me, real inspiration there 8)

Back to the top
That is a beauty.

The ones I meant are where they have changed the bodywork.

A nice set if wheels and suspension is all you need for a perfect mix

Back to the top
yea i agree theres some horrible ones on there

Back to the top

Re: Hot Cabbys Thread

Ste-9n3 said

….tissues at the ready

Good job you warned me.. I threw up as I was sobbing..  :cry:

So many cabby's ruined!..

Back to the top
Some nice looking cars there, i liked the one with the reiger gto kit on it. Body kits rule  :mrgreen:

1989 MK1 Golf Clipper
1999 Ford Cougar 2.5 v6 (soon the nightmare will be over and car gone)

Back to the top
:sick:

Back to the top
it would be a damn boring scene if we all had standard cars without a personal touch walt

Back to the top
You're right.. It would be boring.. I just think that it is a shame that for an old classic icon that are rare enough to see on the road as it is, that they are mostly messed with beyond saving.. Each to their own and of course you can do whatever you like to your own car, but my point is that to be different now, it seems that you need to be totally standard.. I love the look that vw created and in fact, whenever I have had a nice car I have kept it as close to original as possible except for maybe a stainless exhaust so I never have to buy another..

When you go looking for a car to buy, what do you look for?.. A pimped out, tricked up, slam dunked, low n loud. bitch wagon with flame kit, body kit, vented bonnet, blacked out windows and a set of 19" spinners or a totally genuine original car?.. That wasn't aimed at you or anyone in particular.. It was I hope a rhetorical question.. Having watched my godson absolutely destroy his first car, I kind of get a feeling of how this modifying thing can get out of control and that is, that certainly in my godsons case, he wanted his car to be so much more than what it was and because he couldn't afford what he really wanted and wanted to be different and fit in with the car scene etc etc, he set about pimping his car..

First of all the neon lights under the skirts and then the footwell.. Hmm… now it was just a 1.1 c2 with lights and it looked pretty silly not being either standard or a pimped up tricked out bad ass machine, so some alloy wheels were purchased and just thrown on.. Hmmmm Its still not bad ass enough.. I know a big bore exhaust so everyone can hear me coming and drill a few holes in it for good measure.. Hmmm still not good enough, not to worry though because removing the door handles and smoothing over with welded panels and bog with a two tone paint job will make it stand out and then nobody will know it's only a 1.1 c2.. Except for those standard seats.. Its just crying out for a white set of leather look bucket seats and with a few holes drilled here and there.. Voila.. hmm The white seats look good but the orange ones in the back look silly now.. I know, strip it out and make room for a roll cage.. After all, £4500 for the car and another £4500 spent already, it would be a shame not to.. etc etc etc…

At no point did he stop and think that if he had saved his money and not destroyed his car, he would have been able to sell it on and been way in excess of £6000 better off… Now, like I already said.. Each to their own and I am sure he enjoyed it while he was doing it to a degree, but it is now off the road in his grandads garage because he can't sell it and is an embarrassment to drive.. And I think after spending so much money, it is very difficult to ever accept and admit that you have made a mistake.. And so maybe the next addition will help and make you feel better.. but no and so on and so on..

Back to the top
So that is why I appreciate standard cars.. Sorry to be so boring..

Back to the top
i think your refering to the modified scene max power style, the modified dub scene is subtle stuff mostly like a coloyr change with tastful wheels such as th lines say and a retrim but the bodywork pretty much standard. i hate neons, bodykits and bla de bla its cringe worthy, like my polo with the mods ive done improves its looks from a standard car as ive just used OEM parts and rare audi wheels thats enough done. My cabby will be stnbdard as possible series 1 looking but very low.

I do enjoy looking at standard cars though like a series 1 mrk 1 GTi for instance.

Back to the top
I think more and more people will as the numbers of unmodified cars decreases.. You see, the thing that these people forget is that heads also turn for cars that have that "where the hell did that come from?" look about them.. For example a totally original immaculate mk1 as if it had just come off the production line.. Slammed mk1's on stretched rubber with single light grill conversions are everywhere.. Standard for me I'm afraid… Maybe I'm just showing my age?.. :dontknow:

Back to the top
The only modification that I have seen and thought wow, I love that, is polished design 90's.. For me, the nicest wheels ever made.. :)

Back to the top
I agree, a mint original mk1 will turn my head more than a modified one.

A slightly modified one is ok tho.

Back to the top
I got mine in 2002 when it was faded pink.

I had two directions, 1 - standard or 2 - taking ideas from others in Golf+.
You know my decision.

Everyone was doing the modified stuff, I recall a really bright orange cabby with a massive ICE installation at DubFreeze along with a maroon one with flip paint i think it was. Neither were my bag. Over the years its got harder and harder to keep things standard with original parts becoming harder to find in good condition.
Brown interior pieces were laughed at and ridiculed when I first came on here (I haven't forgotten those who did… my time will come!!!  :lol: ) but suddenly everyone want the cream/ brown look and its cool.

I had the chance to change direction again recently but chose standard because, as walt and BigNorm says there are relatively few totally standard cars around now - especially small bumper examples.

Golf+ originally wanted a small bumper example for their feature this month but there weren't any placed handily to Kent so Rivage1991 was lucky to get his featured. Nice job as well, I was very jealous as I'd have driven to Kent from Preston to have mine featured!!!!

Standard - rules

But slightly modified with lowered suspension/ air ride, BBS wheeels and chrome will also turn my head!!!

Back to the top
I think the owners of those two crazy mk1 cabby's in orange and burgundy are brothers.. I was next to the orange one at Harewood house 6 years ago and about 4 years ago at GTI International I saw the burgundy one in a stand advertising paint.. Both got the same body kit and although done to a high standard, its really not my taste at all..

Back to the top

Back to the top
To say to be different now you need to be totally standard is like the "rat look" brigade saying they want something that is individual when they all seem to have no bumpers, rust and the obligatory roof rack full of suitcases. My daughter a few years back was into the "emo" scene and dressed accordingly because she wanted to be individual, when she was with her mates it was hard to tell them apart. Point being, with the current trend in standard cars, how different will standard be. Still, one good point is that with all the unmolested mk1's that will be out there i should be able to find a few blank canvases to put bad ass body kits on  :twisted:

1989 MK1 Golf Clipper
1999 Ford Cougar 2.5 v6 (soon the nightmare will be over and car gone)

Back to the top
But there aren't that many standard cars..  :dontknow:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.