Skip navigation

Mk1 Berg cup , the never ending project .

Back to the top

Mk1 Berg cup , the never ending project .

Hi all been along time off this forum , i used to own a mint llasa green 83 gti which some of you may remember from the clubs 2006 calender . Well one year on from that i decided to park it on 2 trees - totally my own fault and absolutley gutting as it was my my pride and joy .

I bought the car below soon after but i wanted to go full on track toy with this one so its been 3 years so far , family and work commitments have led to a string of other vdubs and audi's whilst this mk1's been sat on the drive (2 years ) and in the garage for the last year following the sale of my vdub camper van , ive lost heart a few times but am now trying to get it finished .

This build thread was started on another forum but its not really the right home for it so here goes , i not gonna copy 3 years worth of posts across just some of the better bits to bring you guy's and gals upto speed .

Here's what ive been upto for the last 3 years , hope you all approve .

After some soul searching i decided that my current mk1 would need far too much work to repair after i parked  it on two trees , a lack of decent panels and time to fix ive decided to strip it down to a bare shell (well barer than it was already) and use the bits on an undamaged mk1 shell if i could find one .

Spent sometime before christmas looking in all the usual places pistonheads , free ads , auto trader all to no avail l- ots of gti's but nothing that took may fancy until i stummbled across this 83 1300 on ebay ,
low mileage , no damage , minimal welding needed and most important no sunroof (hence why i dident want a gti) , non sunroof models dont rust so badly , have stiffer shells and dont weigh so much and it was fairly local (Bristol).

As it was only £102 with 1 day to go I was expecting it to skyrocket but i guess most people were out enjoying themselves too much to notice , 2 bids later and its mine , picking it up on sat hopefully for a grand total of £210.

The original plan was - 1.8t with silly power , cable change box with lsd , some lovely brakes 280mm's with wilwood dynalite 4 pot calipers and discs out back with a bias valve stuck in between , stripped interior with full race roll cage , race seats , harnesses and
plumbed in extingusher and most important a full berg cup kit and some - et wheels most likely 9x15 minilites . was going to be sprayed as a 60's gulf racing replica but some other schemes have been sugested which i like abit more .

Pic of the motor

But this has since changed , the engines been sold and a more humble powerplant will be employed instead .

How it all started .

Racing is life . Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen

Back to the top
These were bought fairly soon after

and strip down commenced

Trial fitting the cage

Back to the top
It stayed like that for a year after loosing heart due to a major bust up with a fellow member over the paint job .

But i couldnt sell it for some reason , then my gorgeous daughter came along and a need for money saw my camper van exiled from its 9 year slumber and the mk1 replaced it .

Work quickly  progressed

And thats where i am at the moment , lots still to do  will post up as and when it happens .

Hope you enjoy

Guy .

Back to the top
It stayed like that for a year after loosing heart due to a major bust up with a fellow member over the paint job .

But i couldnt sell it for some reason , then my gorgeous daughter came along and a need for money saw my camper van exiled from its 9 year slumber and the mk1 replaced it .

Work quickly  progressed

And thats where i am at the moment , lots still to do  will post up as and when it happens .

Hope you enjoy

Guy .

Back to the top
Great write up so far dude, glad to see you sticking at it, will be well worth it in the end!

Have you decided on colours yet ? And how hard did you find putting the cables for the gearbox through the bulk head as thinking of doint this but a bit nervous about drilling through !!!

Cheers

G60

Back to the top
Cheers for the comment mate , Depends on how you intend to seal the holes - if your using plain rubber grommets then ideally the holes should be a little more to the drivers side , i'm using a product called seal it which needs a flat area to provide a gas tight seal so had to go for the area ive gone for . Just a point of note which cables are you going to use , i originally went for lupo cables but i'm quite leggy and the seats a way back from original so i found the cables were too short for me ive ended up using a corrado setup which seem to work well .

As for paint thats still to be decided , the insides going white so i can get the cage back it before building a spit roast so i can tackle the underside , going through a fair few rattle cans tho .

Back to the top
Good work…

How easy was it to shorten the handbrake?
I have the same shifter as you, positioned further back and also tilted up a little. The handbrake doesnt touch it, but it is only about 1mm away, so I could do with taking an inch off it.
Thinking about it, I have a welder now, so it must be a fairly easy job?!?!

Back to the top
looking good Guy, i'll have to pop down soon and have a look :wink:

Back to the top
Oh - Just spotted that you are only up the road too!!!

Back to the top
looking gooood, cant wait to see the finished machine

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top

aircooled1968 said

cant wait to see the finished machine
worth keeping an eye on it, a bit of a genuis when it comes to mk1's  :wink:

Back to the top

geezer said

Cheers for the comment mate , Depends on how you intend to seal the holes - if your using plain rubber grommets then ideally the holes should be a little more to the drivers side , i'm using a product called seal it which needs a flat area to provide a gas tight seal so had to go for the area ive gone for . Just a point of note which cables are you going to use , i originally went for lupo cables but i'm quite leggy and the seats a way back from original so i found the cables were too short for me ive ended up using a corrado setup which seem to work well .

As for paint thats still to be decided , the insides going white so i can get the cage back it before building a spit roast so i can tackle the underside , going through a fair few rattle cans tho .

Cheers dude thanks for the advice, well im 6ft 5" so im also using the corrado cables, going to try and use the same style rubber grommet that the heater matrix pipes use, if that makes sense.

Fair play for doing the underneath, your not messing about !!!

G60

Back to the top
Cheers all , i'm only 6ft mate and the rado cables are only just long enough for me …

AL_Mk1 said

Good work…

How easy was it to shorten the handbrake?
I have the same shifter as you, positioned further back and also tilted up a little. The handbrake doesnt touch it, but it is only about 1mm away, so I could do with taking an inch off it.
Thinking about it, I have a welder now, so it must be a fairly easy job?!?!

Hi AL , weve spoken before , on this forum and once or twice at margem park , hows that lovely red mk1 of yours these days ? - Yes the handbrakes an easy mod , strip it down lop out what you dont want weld it back together , then you just shorten the little rod inside the same amount and rethread the end to fit the button on . Canbe a bit fiddly to get back together tho .

Cheers Matt , hows that blown valver coming along , did you get an ignition switch after ?

Some work from this week .

There is now a pretty much even layer of white dust over the entire garage and i appear to have clogged the filters on my mask with the stuff too , hope the police dont call in i could have trouble explaining things ..

Got these back from my mates machine shop , drawn up crudely by myself they are the last parts for the front engine brace just need welding in now .

Cleaned up the gearshift tower brackets .

Got the front cage bits into a bit of gloss .

Rear panel nearly there .

And the front almost done , Gonna do the floor pans in por 15 and chassis black as it'll be a high wear area .

Thats it for now
Cheers
Guy

Back to the top
Looking good guy. Keep it up  :)

Back to the top

geezer said

It stayed like that for a year after loosing heart due to a major bust up with a fellow member over the paint job.

That would have been me due to a mix up  :redfaced:  though i hope after such a long time things are all ok  :cry: .

Anyway a great build Guy, keep up the amazing work on it.

Mike

Back to the top
going to keep eye on this one.like the burg look.
so whats the colour going to be ?.or you still deciding.
keep up the good work :)

2000 R1   TOY ;-)
2003 CIVIC TYPE R reliable daily
1989 cabby 1.8 gti  ongoing project (my 1st vw)
husqvarna te 410 supermoto
just aquired a series 1 tintop:D

Back to the top
we need more updates fella. lovin it

92 caddy, Now stripped for full rebuild
83 golf gti R1 carbed 16v(soon to have 1.8T)
07 Leon FR TDI daily

Cambridgeshire regional host

Back to the top
Awesome project man! Keep up the good work :)

Back to the top
Hi all , thanks for the positive comments and sorry for the delay had just about enough of the internet recentley (must be something todo with getting old ) so had a break from that side of things .

I have still been pressing on with a few things when time and money allows here's some more pics of progress so far hope you all enjoy .

Back to the top
Few more

Thats where i'm at at the moment - engine out next so i can raise the rack mounts .

Thanks Guy

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.