Skip navigation

When is a Mk1 not a Mk1?

Back to the top

When is a Mk1 not a Mk1?

GavB95 said

Oi! you suggested it was alright to pillage parts from Cabs to fit to 'real' Mk1's! I don't know if you have fitted any cabby 'crap' to your car, but then I wouldn't…I don't class it as 'crap' you see!

I don't want to go look at your build thread.  :posh: These 'real' Mk1 owners are pretty highly strung!  :P

Sorry dude I miss-read your post! I assumed you meant after market parts when you said other crap but you meant cabby parts! like I said earlier I have nothing against cabbys at all! of course they are a real mk1 but I just think there an entirely different car to the tintop!

I do like a sportline as well as the rivage editions of the car.  

I think some people have got a little confused by what some have said, nobody denies that any golf on here is a mk1!!!!

Back to the top
I've owned both and loved both, but agree they are different in their nature/how they handle and how you drive them.

Cruising with the roof down on a cabby can never be compared to a face full of sunroof channel rust from a tin top!  :lol:  :wink:

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
LOL no pas for me either Lee, do have electric windows though  :redfaced: Ah the joys of summer, wind in your hair, flies in your teeth. Tintop, cabby, citi and even the b@stard child caddy - lets all have a group hug  :D

1989 MK1 Golf Clipper
1999 Ford Cougar 2.5 v6 (soon the nightmare will be over and car gone)

Back to the top

Lee_dub said

PAS - power assisted steering.

as I said Tian, obviously they are a REAL mk1 but alot of people just don't see them as a TRUE mk1 in the spirit of the original design/purpose.  

A lot, this is a little contentious. As you have no figures whatsoever I'd be happier if you left it as some people.

Please give me your definition or 'real' and 'true' as if I'm not totally mistaken it appears you're getting rather too bogged down in semantics, usually the first sign of a faltering argument.

Also, a TRUE mk1 in the spirit of the original design/purpose.  

Please tell me what in your opinion was the idea behind the original design/purpose and in turn what the Cabriolet no longer fits it. When you've done that please also tell me why it needs to and also if the GTI, a relatively late comer to the MK1 family fits the original design brief as clearly if it does not then it's not a TRUE or perhaps REAL MK1 either

Lee_dub said

Obviously all you lot with late cabbys are going to jump in and defend your purchase

You've unwittingly hit the nail on the head here. Yes Cabriolet owners sometimes do feel the need to defend themselves but only because of the rather snobbish Holier than thou attitude of some Hatchback owners, who feel the need to look down their noses at a variant they simply don't like, as if we're somehow polluting the good name of the MK1 Golf.

Lee_dub said

And 89clipper - a clipper kitted cabby will NEVER EVER look better than a tintop assuming both are in standard form!!!

There you go again. In your mind it's some sort of bizarre competition between Hatchbacks and Cabriolets. I've tried long and hard but I simply don't understand this attitude. Can you explain why there has to be a 'them and us'?

You mentioned that this was all supposed to be lighthearted but is it? Really I don't believe that such divisive views have any place on a Forum dedicate to the survival of the MK1 Golf as a whole

I work my arse off trying do do my bit to keep this club going but, I have to question if I can be bothered for much longer. The thought that after all these years and effort there will be people at the AGM looking at my car, thinking it doesn't deserve to be there leaves me speechless.

Maybe you're right, maybe I should spend more time on the Cabriolet forum where I've NEVER seen anyone look down on another members car regardless of what marque it is. Either way, I have plenty to think about.

T

Back to the top
Walt - YOU are a legend! I actually did a LOL! Rust Monkeys, class!

Wonder what the % difference is between Cabby owners and Tintop owners on the club is?

Back to the top

bouchay said

Walt - YOU are a legend! I actually did a LOL! Rust Monkeys, class!

Wonder what the % difference is between Cabby owners and Tintop owners on the club is?

Pre or post 1984?

T :roll:

Back to the top
There's probably more cabby owners on here than hatchback owners now. I did get the data off the DVLA a while back on how many were on the roads, however nobody followed it up to get updated figures so its a bit out of date now.

There's more in common than there are differences, therefore it makes sense to have the club to cover both bodystyles.

It still personally amazes me that if you're welcoming in cabbys, the line is drawn short of Mk1 Jettas, though. But that's another issue for another day.

Back to the top
C'mon T be cool man  8) from what i can see your efforts with regards to the club are more than appreciated hence the good take up of your marketing efforts. At this years AGM when you see 50 plus people walking around with matching hoodies on you can think "i did that". I started this thread to find out what people class as a "real" or "true" mk1 and have achieved just that. They, under all the paint, plastic and in some cases rust are all the same DNA  :D

1989 MK1 Golf Clipper

Back to the top

paul_c said

It still personally amazes me that if you're welcoming in cabbys, the line is drawn short of Mk1 Jettas, though. But that's another issue for another day.

Yeah i know, another issue for another day but a cabby is a golf and a jetta is, well a jetta…………..

1989 MK1 Golf Clipper

Back to the top
Shheeesh how easy is it not to understand 2 simple rules:

1. You don't need to own a Golf, Jetta, Ford, or indeed any car to participate on the forum or join the Club.

2. The Club is about preserving any A1 platform marketed as a "Golf" (ie Type 15 or 17). That means you can sell parts/discuss technical matters/put your A1 "Golf" on Club displays.

Anything else is just mindless banter.

Banner

Back to the top
Has everybody finished now?

Good!

Campaign Mk 1 Black

16v Mk2 Red (decsd )

Back to the top
I thought this was friendly banter not mindless?

Rules is rules everyone, opinions don't count!  :mrgreen:  :wink:

Back to the top

dubboy said

Shheeesh how easy is it not to understand 2 simple rules:

1. You don't need to own a Golf, Jetta, Ford, or indeed any car to participate on the forum or join the Club.

2. The Club is about preserving any A1 platform marketed as a "Golf" (ie Type 15 or 17). That means you can sell parts/discuss technical matters/put your A1 "Golf" on Club displays.

Anything else is just mindless banter.

So Rabbits are excluded?

Back to the top

mk1

Mines an 87 mk1 and thats it .......i will not be told otherwise . so bite me.. :dontknow:

Back to the top

paul_c said

There's probably more cabby owners on here than hatchback owners now. I did get the data off the DVLA a while back on how many were on the roads, however nobody followed it up to get updated figures so its a bit out of date now.

Yeah i never see tintops on the roads around here (or early softtops come to that ) but still see a few late model cabbys.

Back to the top
Bloody hell Tian.  :roll:

Its just a bit of forum banter! I think you may need to calm down a bit mate.

I don't want to quote every line of your post as you did mine as frankly its boring but I will say this (for the 3rd time in this thread)

I DO NOT THINK THAT CABBYS ARE NOT A REAL MK1.  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

I simply said I don't think they fit the original design philosophy.  I have driven both and they are not the same car.  The cabby is a real cruiser, no doubt about it and an important car in its own right.  The tintop GTI is sharp in the corners, nippy and just feels alot more 'bare'? if thats the right word.  What I was trying to say is Electric windows, electric roofs, PAS and all other modern stuff like that does not fit in with the original design and detract from what in my opinion makes the tintop such a great car.

Please Tian, respect my opinion for what it is, an opinion.  Also this is not the first time I have heard you saying "I do this and that for the club and im not sure I can be bothered any more" Please do us a favour, everyone on here appreciates what you and the rest of the staff do for the club so please stop saying this as its getting insulting.

I just don't understand why you feel the need to get so angry over it? Ill come and stand admiringly at your car at the AGM if it makes you feel any better?  :D

Back to the top
Had a feeling this thread would get a bit serious…..cheer up guys at least we all had sence to go the dub route,things could be alot worse, we could all be arguing over which of our ford's or peugeot's is a true original. :lol:

Back to the top

89clipper said

paul_c said

Yeah i know, another issue for another day but a cabby is a golf and a jetta is, well a jetta…………..

Spot on - if you simply go by the name badge, which with the exception of Rabbits (still unexplained…) is what defines the area of interest in the club. But if you took the number of body panels and other parts as a percentage, you'd soon realise that Jettas have a higher % of parts than cabbys (a lot of the stuff is just different etc). Also, the Mk1 Jettas, while there is a Jetta owners club, are a) poorly served by it and b) have more in common with Mk1 Golfs than the Mk2/3/4/5/6 Jettas anyway. Also it has to be said the Jetta OC is very small in comparison to here.

Ask yourself this question: is it right that a Jetta owner should post their build on here, and feel they should have to park the rear end of it in a garage, hiding its true identity for as long as possible?

Back to the top
Tian.. Go and have a cup of tea and on the way home, go and get a vanilla slice from Hampsons and have another cup of tea.. I will even treat you to the vanilla slice.. You will feel much better  :D

Back to the top
When your spare wheel well has fell out and sump is old an gunky,
your gear links gone, your seats are worn and smelling rather funky,
remember as you buy new wings, your gearbox will soon be clunky,
just don't be sad and jealous cos your bumpers aren't so chunky..

And when the sun comes out to play, the chicks want their blokes hunky,
not some sweaty hard topped guy who doesn't look so spunky,
so when noone will get in your car and you're alone and drunky,
just know that this is all because, you're a jealous sad rust monkey!!

:mrgreen:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.