Skip navigation

When is a Mk1 not a Mk1?

Back to the top

When is a Mk1 not a Mk1?

for me the tin top is the real deal but only when fitted with at least the gti engine/suspension
wasn't the golf for sale years before they were making gti's?
they re-designed the golf a little bit so is it a true mk1?
does that mean only swallowtails are true mk1s?

what about CITI golfs? don't they have mk2 front ends?
would you call them mk1.5's or something?
like the mk3 cabriolet with a mk4 front end. some people call them mk3.5's.

does that mean late cabbys are mk1 and a bit? because they dont have a mk2 front end but they are convertable like the mk3.5.

oh dear… i have confused myself now.

I think everything from swallowtails to late cabbys are mk1s. even ones made in america and south africa. even if it is a mk1.9999r, it is still a mk1 in my eyes.

Back to the top
Well having read all that lot I ve just taken my 83 1.1 tin top to the " end of life vehicle recycle center" cause its just an old banger poluting the enviroment  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: Perhaps replace it with a yaris or a Kia? :redfaced:

Id rather shove Wasps up my ___  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
its been a good read this and where as i believe a mk1 is a mk1 whether it be cabby or tintop mine is a fairly late model, 88 to be precise, it has a dx engine in there and to be fair i havent a clue whether they used this engine in a mk2, I also own a 5 door tin top GX whic is in pieces which has a 1600 engine in it (its stamped i1.6 on engine) he is an 83 (gf's car) and would be about one of the last of the mk1s (proper one to some) I respect Lee-dubs opinion but got to be said, I love both of these cars and i always loved the cabby's, late or early models, i do prefer the early grill as it keeps the mk1 look about it and not a face lift or mk2 i have however kept the later grill on my cabby as its original as is the clipper kit that she came with

a mk1 is a mk1 no matter what the age and i will love em all with equal respect

chris  :D  :D  :D  :D

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
can of worms this aint it!

Back to the top

Ste-9n3 said

can of worms this aint it!

Yeah but ad me smiling all day. :lol:

Back to the top
I have enjoyed reading how this thread has gone and has remained in the light hearted way it was intended  :D Just one more question, if i have a series one GTI and replaced the engine with a 16v for instance, changed the wheels, interior etc and replaced all of the rotten panels for pattern parts is it still a "true" mk1?  :mrgreen:

1989 MK1 Golf Clipper
1999 Ford Cougar 2.5 v6 (soon the nightmare will be over and car gone)

Back to the top

Lee_dub said

I know why this thread has appeared, its because you read my reply to the what do you do come SORN time thread.

I have a couple of ways I think about this.  I don't in general like cabbys that have the clipper kit on them.  It ruins the lines of the car and gives it that 90's look.  The MK1 golf is an iconic shape no doubt about it and a clipper kitted cabby looks pretty much nothing like a tin top mk1.  I don't know what year they made the cabriolet up to, well into the 90's when production of the real original deal stopped in '84.  So yea I don't class anything past when the tin top stopped production as a TRUE mk1, obviously it is a REAL mk1 but not a TRUE mk1.  Lets face it they got fitted with mk2 engines, got PAS and all that other crap that just isn't mk1 at all.

So yea, if you have an early cabby on small bumpers with a mk1 engine Ill call it a mk1, if you have a late cabby with mk2 blended in and a clipper kit im afraid I just can't see it as a mk1…

I did read your reply to the SORN thread yes, but the "it is not a real mk1" line has been said many times before, i guess then the clipper must have been ahead of it's time with the 90's look. PAS, what is that? Personally i think a cabby looks better with a clipper kit than without but i would say that wouldn't i. If you line up a tintop, a early and a late model cabby, the late model cabby is by far the nicest looking car, without a doubt. Though i do like a nice tintop with a zender kit on it  :D

1989 MK1 Golf Clipper
1999 Ford Cougar 2.5 v6 (soon the nightmare will be over and car gone)

Back to the top
I think any Committee Member who DOESN'T own a pre 2984MK1 should step down as they don't own a "proper MK1"

See ya.

T :wink:

Back to the top
Up to late 93 they are all MK1's including Cabbies.
Under the Big Bumper kit is still the origional shape.
Why are we differenciating between them when with a top up on the cabby there is not much difference in profile.

There is no such thing as a Karmann edition Cabbriolet.

All the Cabbies were made by Karmann in Osnabruck, even those for the USA Market.

As many of you think the MKI Rabbit was made in Westmorland Pennsylvania, but that's not true. The plant was actually located a few miles away in New Stanton Pennsylvania. Production went from April of 1978 to July of 1988 when VW closed that plant. A total of 1,192,411 cars were built there.
The pressing Plates then Went to S.A. to continue production.
So because the Golf MK1 shape was still being produced is the Citi Golf not a MK1.
Apparently the Plates were damaged in transit so that's why there is an indent on the upper rear quarters of the Citi golf.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
PAS - power assisted steering.

as I said Tian, obviously they are a REAL mk1 but alot of people just don't see them as a TRUE mk1 in the spirit of the original design/purpose.  Obviously all you lot with late cabbys are going to jump in and defend your purchase and why not? I would too.  However the original poster wanted to know why people say that there not a real mk1 and I think it's been answered.

And 89clipper - a clipper kitted cabby will NEVER EVER look better than a tintop assuming both are in standard form!!! But as you think they do that's cool, we all like different things.  I personally don't mind that cabbys carried on production ages after the tin top - more parts available for us tinny owners!!!

Back to the top
I think this kind of talk is tantamount to racial prejudice and should be banned from the forum forth with… Otherwise.. I am gonna break "not real" mk1's and keep dipping the parts in the sea until they are rotting, then sell em to all you "Real" mk1 rust monkeys.. Then nobody will own a "Real" mk1 and the site will implode in a huge spiteful, prejudicial cess pit of hate and jealousy and I will drive off into the sunshine with my roof down and wave at you all squabbling at the road side..  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Any golf is a Mk1 golf if you are allowed to register it with the Mk1 owners' club. Stands to reason. :wink:

Campaign Mk 1 Black

16v Mk2 Red (decsd )

Back to the top
Leave it now russt… You are just fueling the fires of hood envy in the rust monkeys..  8O

Back to the top
rust monkeys FTW!

Back to the top

Lee_dub said

rust monkeys FTW!

You see, I shall demonstrate self control and not lower myself to the level of a rust monkey and therefore shall not make a prejudicial joke about your syntax error… And if any of the rust monkeys cannot help themselves (like the pack of dogs that they are!!!) I shall back you Lee_dub… You are not alone.. come and join those who love you…  :)

Back to the top

Lee_dub said

Lets face it they got fitted with mk2 engines, got PAS and all that other crap that just isn't mk1 at all.

So yea, if you have an early cabby on small bumpers with a mk1 engine Ill call it a mk1, if you have a late cabby with mk2 blended in and a clipper kit im afraid I just can't see it as a mk1…

Lee_dub said

I personally don't mind that cabbys carried on production ages after the tin top - more parts available for us tinny owners!!!

PAS?  :dontknow: not on any UK cars! MK2 Engines? My late Sportline GTI has a DX on K-jet from the factory!

But taking 'all that other crap that just isn't mk1 at all' and fitting it to your 'real' 'tinny' mk1, yeah that's OK Lee.  :P

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top

GavB95 said

Lee_dub said

Lets face it they got fitted with mk2 engines, got PAS and all that other crap that just isn't mk1 at all.

Lee_dub said

I personally don't mind that cabbys carried on production ages after the tin top - more parts available for us tinny owners!!!

PAS?  :dontknow: not on any UK cars! MK2 Engines? My late Sportline GTI has a DX on K-jet from the factory!

But taking 'all that other crap that just isn't mk1 at all' and fitting it to your 'real' 'tinny' mk1, yeah that's OK Lee.  :P

Why what "other crap" have I fitted to my tinny? go and look at my build thread…

PAS was indeed fitted to some later cabs, it was a dealer fit extra done by a company called steering developments…..

Some later cabbies were fitted with PB code engines I think…

This was a bit of light hearted banter…..

Back to the top
GavB95… Go to the car park and say 50 hail Karmanns… Have you learn't nothing… If a rust monkey punches you in the face… Turn the other cheek…  8O

Back to the top
all mrk 1s are mrk 1s i prefer the earlier ones but there all the mrk 1 form aint they!

ive learnt a lot off this thread though interesting stuff

has anyone got a pic of the citigolf indent?

Back to the top
Oi! you suggested it was alright to pillage parts from Cabs to fit to 'real' Mk1's! I don't know if you have fitted any cabby 'crap' to your car, but then I wouldn't…I don't class it as 'crap' you see!

I don't want to go look at your build thread.  :posh: These 'real' Mk1 owners are pretty highly strung!  :P

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.