Skip navigation

Lady G as our lass has named her

Back to the top

1984 "Lady G" as our lass has named her

The sandblaster is awesome to say the least.  Here's the pics of the sorry for itself engine and the work done so far

The years of crud taken away

Now nice and shiny black

Also been reconditioning and painting other components

As you can tell the whole engine theme is black

Been quoted £60 plus vat for inlet manifold polishing (internal).  So looks like i'll be trying that myself.

Also thinking lumpy cam but have to see how the funds are after ordering new gaskets and seals for everywhere

Why did I start this

Back to the top
Right. Couple of weeks since posting but been polishing the inlet manifold which Im happy with.

Ive also reconditioned the oil filter housing.  Ordered my wrinkle paint for the inlet manifold and the rocker cover. New gaskets for everywhere, new cam belt.  Took the cylinder head off Friday, during a powercut, with a headtorch.  Thats dedication.

Really struggling to find a replacement rubber gasket/washer for the water pump.  Anyone any ideas?

Why did I start this

Back to the top
Oh and I cant for the life of me get the bloody bolt off that holds the crank pulley on  :banghead:

Why did I start this

Back to the top
do you mean the middle 19mm bolt? that doesnt hold on the crank pulley! the 4 19mm bolts hold on the pulley, if its stuck get yourself a set of pullers. the middle 19mm bolt is done up to uber torque and holds on the timing belt sprocket. if you need that off you have to wedge wood in the crank to stop it spinning and use a massive breaker bar

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
i used an air gun and still had to heat it up to get it undone, uuuuber tight!

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top
Been a busy bee this week.  All valves, pistons etc. are in good condition and dont need replacing.  New head gasket and bolts gone on, head painted and then my wrinkle paint arrived today  :D

So rocker and part of inlet manifold painted check this out

And heres how the blocks looking now

Why did I start this

Back to the top
Rubjonny and boyle_sbd thanks for your replies after trying just about everything in the world, I bought a puller and it cane straight off

Why did I start this

Back to the top
Engine now mostly reassembled.  On to the timing and set up

Why did I start this

Back to the top
good work on the block pal.

Wheres your wrinkle paint from?

Back to the top
Sorry for delay smillsey, wasnt aware I had a reply.

I got the paint from here http://www.burtonpower.com/vht-wrinkle-plus-spray-paint-black-sper001b.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=gb_feed?WbRf=GBase

Its a tad more expensive than some places but thats because its wrinkle plus not just wrinkle.  The plus can withstand more heat

Why did I start this

Back to the top
Not much work happened really.  Bodyshop has started prepping for paint  :D but discovered a new lower windscreen panel is needed  :banghead: but best getting it all mint now as opposed to having to do the work again later

New crank seals, plugs, road/race cam, rocker seals, manifold gasket fitted.  Clutch and flywheel back on now

Ordered loads of stuff for when she comes home.  Apex coilovers, new rad, ARB bushes, tank straps, braided brake hoses etc…

Why did I start this

Back to the top
OK.  Rear axle finally built and polybushed.  The outer ARB clamps are a nightmare which lead to many strikes in the head by molegrips flying off.  But after smashing the hell out of the garage floor with a lump hammer, beer and some dubstep rave, they are finally on.

Been to see the old girl today to find her in primer  8)

Hopefully only four more sleeps until she returns  :D

Why did I start this

Back to the top
SHE COMES HOME TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Heres some pics of her nearly painted

Why did I start this

Back to the top
Loooks awesome mate

Just read the thread from start to finish…loving your work

keep it up

Back to the top
Thanks for that blink. Means a lot

Why did I start this

Back to the top
Welcome mate

come on then where are these photos lol
I wanna see it in that lovely british sun us Aussies get told about haha

Back to the top
AWESOME matey, the colours cool

List of past and present cars ive owned

1997 corsa 1.2 poop

2003 Ibiza 130 tdi hybrided to 240bhp

1991 Mk 2 jetta calypso green 1.6td

2001 MG ZT 190+ v6 in trophy blue…. Sold to my brother

2003 Golf GTI TDI 150 black leather heated recaros ;) the

Back to the top
Heres some more pictures but unfortinately they are taken from the garage as the beautiful English summer weather closed in and started to rain

I was going to leave it today but couldn't help myself.  Started to build up the coilies

Why did I start this

Back to the top
Really nice mate

keep up the good work

Back to the top
Well got a little time on her today.  
Wishbones on
front coilovers on too.
Front ARB was a pig to fit.  
Put brake lines on rear axle.
Spent an age working out the route of the fuel lines but couldn't put on and connect due to needing some pipes :cry: .  Struggling to find the one for the filler neck to tank too :banghead: .

Fuel tank in place though so one more thing out of the bedroom

Why did I start this
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.