Skip navigation

1979 Golf 1.1 Lemon Yellow

Back to the top

1979 Golf 1.1 Lemon Yellow

It was a genuine vw one i got and it was about £90 delivered.

Back to the top
Lovely car Neil, we've got a lemon yellow Mk1 Polo that I hope to get to a similar standard as your Mk1. Just to point out, the parts from VW Classic Parts are not always genuine VW parts, if you read on the homepage of http://www.vw-classicparts.de/ it states:

"Genuine Parts and reproductions of highest quality
We supply spare parts for both aircooled and water cooled Volkswagen vehicles that are no longer regularly available through the Volkswagen Genuine Parts Division. These are in most instances save discontinued Genuine Parts, but we furthermore offer parts from Mexican and Brazilian Volkswagen production as well as reproductions of highest quality made in Germany."

Of course they will assess the repro parts and make sure they meet the VW 'grade', or as near as they possibly can, but it has been know for some 'VW Classic Parts' supplied parts to be inferior to the originals.

All the same the additions are looking great and well done on the 2nd - 1st place must've been exceptional to pip yours to the win.  8)

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
I had seen that some of their parts were repro, better then nothing or a damaged part I think.
The grille was genuine old stock vw, dusty bags and all  :D

Back to the top

Neil_Ireland said

I had seen that some of their parts were repro, better then nothing or a damaged part I think.
The grille was genuine old stock vw, dusty bags and all  :D

Agreed! and it sounds like a good score on the grille trim!

Look forward to any updates, although I can't imagine what you would want to change and update us on?! Perhaps it'll just get shinier and shinier and you'll have some updates on the trophy cabinet.  :mrgreen:

Cheers, Gav

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
It's been a while since I updated this thread, since then the car has gone from this.

To this.

Since I got the car I knew it would get a complete respray at some stage. I also wanted to do some mods which could easily be reversed.

Started by stripping the trim from the car.

Some damage that need to be fixed.

Doors stripped, original vapor seals still fitted.

Stripped the boot floor for painting.

As it left for the body shop.

Back to the top
In the mean time I picked up some bits of trim to freshen it up.

Coilovers were a must. H&R monotubes.

Few more bits'n pieces.

Wings stripped to check for rust/corrosion, nothing found which was great.

Stripped back and stonechipped.

Back to the top
Front panel repaired.

Bonnet prepped.

Repair to dent in rear arch.

Doors prepped and coated in polyester primer.

Ready for primer.

Back to the top
This is how it looks now in it's second coat of primer. The first coat was left to sit for 2 weeks then flatted back. Second coat then applied and has sar for another couple of weeks. The finish is flawless, it looks like a new shell!

Back to the top
Boot panels were a bit scratched so I repainted them with vw satin black trim paint.

Glass cleaned and seals refurbished with swisvax seal feed.

Wiper mech stripped and refurbished.

Boot vinyl had overspray and paint on it, looked tatty.

As good as new, cleaned with apc and poorboys natural look dressing.

Vin plate polished :$

Back to the top
Wow is all I can say. Absolutely gorgeous mate. I bet you are delighted with the results so far.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Wow is all I can say. Absolutely gorgeous mate. I bet you are delighted with the results so far.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Thanks.

Yes delighted so far, in the final stages now so should be finished in the coming weeks.

Back to the top
Very nice!

Like where this is going, look forward to some more pics:thumbs:

Back to the top
Your mk1 is going to look stunning after this paintjob Neil - I thought it was good to start with.  Looking forward to seeing the finished pics.

Back to the top
Very nice! Really want mine resprayed when all mods and mechanical things are finished.

Keep up the good work!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
What a stunning car, amazing attention to detail too! hats off mate :ocf_emoticons__notworthy:

Andy. :cool:

Back to the top
Beautiful s1. Let me know if you ever want to sell her ;)

Back to the top

Dublove said

Beautiful s1. Let me know if you ever want to sell her ;)

Thanks, no plans on selling so far but money talks as they say  ;)

Back to the top
Nearly forgot I had these :$Zender sports.

Back to the top
Lovely rims matey :)

Back to the top
Really nice car. Looks in excellent condition. Are the seats and door cards standard or have they been re-trimmed? Whats it like underneath? All solid im guessing judging by the rest of the car. Ive just bought a 81 "N" model in lemon yellow that I plan to restore and put back to standard.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.