Skip navigation

what a pile of pants and a 298 round mile trip

Back to the top

what a pile of pants and a 298 round mile trip

just got back from what should have been a great day that i picked my new 1981 hard top mk1 gti. what a complete waste of a day and petrol after getting there and the car was a pile of pants :( looked so nice on the photo on ebay diffrent story when we got there.                    
first it had no headlight light bulbs init front indicator lense was missing passanger door had dropped never seen so much crap inside a car and the so called sunroof was a bit of plastic with what looked like a wimdow seal off a bay camper so was just like having a window in the roof that you cant open looked stupid.
so now got to try and get my deposit back not happy its been a long day

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Keiron foster Forever Fund for Meningitis UK

xxx jen xxx

Back to the top
Ah I feel for you dude.....

Back to the top
Dont know what goes on in peoples heads! Did they think you would just give in and take it anyway?

Banner

Back to the top
was it an ebay purchase??

i try to alway view before i buy, buying blind if a iffy business.

how much deposit have you lost? and how did you pay it?

:)

Banner

Back to the top
we couldnt get to view it as it was so far away but the lad was ok on the phone and sounded a genuine chap just said that it stopped on him the other week so we new it was a none runner,
but he forgot to mention all the other bits
I paid a £150 deposit though his dads paypal

xxx jen xxx

Back to the top
i'd forget speaking to the little lying scroat and go straight to daddy… explain that you have been missold and that you want your deposit back - simples

did the pictures on ebay so the car in a better condition than it was?

Guy

91 Rivage project thread < its a slow process but getting there!

Back to the top
hell yeah the car look ace hence i paid the deposit and then drove all that way to find a bag of shite
the driver seat was all ripped to i told him this when we was there yesterday he said he put it was ripped on the listing but ive cheeked and he dint.
mate it was a complete was of my time and petrol for something that was listed wrong if he had put all the stuff on ebay that was wrong with it i would never have bothered
The photos on ebay must have been taken months ago been sat there that long it had loads of little spiders living in itand moss
it was just a mess

xxx jen xxx

Back to the top
good luck with getting your deposit back bud, i hate people that cant give an accurate description of goods, why lie about the condition of the car, did he really think you would just take it away? What a plonker

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
Yeah he was up for us taking it he said it looks nice when is clean
i said its not about how clean it looks its not worth the money your asking its listed completely wrong should have said project car needs lots of work he wanted us to make him an offer at that point i said im not impressed just drove all this way i want my deposit back so waiting to see if it goes in my pay pal  now if not i will open a case and report him …
my northern attitude is  coming out now and its not nice :)

xxx jen xxx

Back to the top
Feel your pain, went there last weekend with a similar lying git  :banghead:

Back to the top
I think you're pretty much committed to buy it, if it was a private seller. There is a small glimmer of hope if its definitely misdescribed but you'd need to be very careful with the wording of the advert. Basically, if its an old car then faults are to be expected. Private sales are very much buyer beware.

Buying unseen (in the flesh) is risky, and long distance is just more hassle for you.

In theory they could sue you for the remaining amount of money you owe and charge storage on the car until you pick it up. So I think walking away after making the trip and losing the deposit, isn't such a bad outcome compared to how bad it might have been.

Out of interest, what is the eBay listing link and what price did you pay for it?

Back to the top

MK1

My opinion is - if the car is not as described in any way, then the deposit is to be returned!
The advert description acts as the contract and the seller cannot just chose to leave out all the faults!

PayPal is perfect way to pay for something like this, you can easily get your money back without the other party's help.
Get on the phone to paypal - not as described is all you need to say.

GOOD LUCK & do not give up till you have the dosh back!

Back to the top
Well, from experience I can tell you the above isn't true, and Paypal won't help. I needed an indicator lens for a Pajero, which is clear and a smooth shape. The seller sent the wrong side, so I asked for the correct side I'd asked for. He sent the correct side, but a Shogun one instead of Pajero. Its amber/clear instead of clear, and a different shape. I complained to him, he did nothing, I complained to Paypal, and they closed the case in his favour because it was roughly what was described - it was an indicator lens.

If a seller doesn't detail the faults of a car, I don't see how this could be a breach of contract - after all, some people perceive different things as faults anyway. Simply not putting them down is fair game. After all, the responsibility is on the buyer to look at the car and decide if they're happy with it. "Sold as seen".

I'm sorry if it jars with a lot of people's emotional instinct here, but there's always 2 sides to each argument.

Also, its vital to know what the price is - since price obviously reflects condition. If you bought a 1981 Mk1 Golf GTI for anything less than about £3000, its going to have some faults! Especially if described as a non-runner!

Back to the top
Hopefully the guy will do the right thing and refund your deposit!  If not I would open up a case with paypal for sure. I guees the guy required the deposit to hold the car after the acution has ended?

2007 Passat 2.0 Sport Estate TDI 170PS (The Bus) 2004 Golf FSI 1.6 (The Wifes) 1988 MK1 Golf Gti Cabriolet (The FUN!)

Back to the top
he ended the auction early as we agreed on a price so i paid £150 deposit i no its an old car but he listed it like all that was wrong that it had stopped on him the other week and told use that just the firing order was out.
never mentioned all the other bits that was wrong with it :(
still had no refund and ive sent him a text message if i hear nothing back by tomorrow i'm opening a case with paypal car not as described .

xxx jen xxx

Back to the top
What was the price?

Back to the top
Sounds a bit of a fix that bud, I don't think paypal will be able to do anything as it was not a straight eBay transaction, I.e the auction finished with you being the winning bidder.
I hope he sees you right coz it just ain't fair that!

2007 Passat 2.0 Sport Estate TDI 170PS (The Bus) 2004 Golf FSI 1.6 (The Wifes) 1988 MK1 Golf Gti Cabriolet (The FUN!)

Back to the top
im affraid if it is not as described it is the sellers fault and you are not committed to buy anything if it is not as described.  Just open up a case and say it was completely different to the add and you will get your money back.

Back to the top
I did this, drove to stoke on trent from Reading just to find the car was pretty poor =[

Wanna Hug?

Back to the top
It is very annoying that people can do this sort of thing looked so nice on the photos and the guy sounded ok just the fact when we got their he did not mention on the listing all the bad bits i.e ripped seats window in the roof which did not open was just a bit of perspex with a seal round it no bulbs or fittings in the head lights, indicator lens missing and they was not the normal type he did not no what they came off so would find it hard to get a replacement one.
It was just a bag of shit  complete waste of my time and petrol :( now i have the stress of trying to get my £150 deposit back as he still has not paid it back

xxx jen xxx
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.