Skip navigation

Stuie's 1983 GTI 'Mildred'

Back to the top

Stuie's 1983 GTI 'Mildred'

Hey all,my name is stu and this is my GTI 'Mildred'.Im not a stranger to the VW scene however i am when it comes to classic cars.Ive owned a fist full of modern golf gti's and R32's but this is my first classic.Ive owned her just over a week and ive made some progress into returning her back to standard.
When she was first built she was black,some time down the line she had been chaved up,BIG TIME with subaru bonnet vents,silly mods and a two tone paint job in what looks like a blend of green,purple,gold and brown,its very strange.Two years ago the previous owner started to restore her and gave her new bumpers,new front wings,rear arches a full respray in candy white,so when i bought her she was well on her way.

Ive made a start on the interior by moving the stereo and gauges back to there original places and tidying the door cards up for now until i source all original parts

Ive also given her,her face back

There are still plenty of things to be done but im pleased with my progress so far.

"Mildred"1983 Candy White GTI,Low and Slow

Back to the top
Looks better already, was this the one on ebay recently near Hull ??

Back to the top
Are you getting rid of the bumpers for standard gti ones?

Back to the top

MalC said

yeah thats right,i felt guilty giving him what i paid for it,its a great little car that just needs tidying up.

Back to the top

Mathers said

Are you getting rid of the bumpers for standard gti ones?

no im gonna keep those ones.i like the look of them and they are pretty much brand new.

Back to the top
Looks great, like you say just lots of detail work, but that's what you get the most satisfaction from. Another one saved :)

What do you need to do to loose all the Black tint?

1990 Singlecab 2.1 manual

Back to the top
Took me a couple of glances to realise what looked so different,  looks so strange with smoothed sides, also the rear arches look wider than norm, or is it just the camera angle?

Be good to see it on Sunday at All Types  :P  :P

Back to the top

stuie said

MalC said

yeah thats right,i felt guilty giving him what i paid for it,its a great little car that just needs tidying up.

I was toying with the idea of a bid myself but no time talked me out of it - you just missed out on a set of standard GTI seats I was selling also

Back to the top

DoubleOSeven said

Looks great, like you say just lots of detail work, but that's what you get the most satisfaction from. Another one saved :)

What do you need to do to loose all the Black tint?

another one saved indeed.Just sort out the rear interior,when it was sprayed they didnt do the metal work in the back so its still the stupid two tone colour.i also need a parcel shelf.

Back to the top

MalC said

stuie said

MalC said

I was toying with the idea of a bid myself but no time talked me out of it - you just missed out on a set of standard GTI seats I was selling also

luckily he gave me the original front seats in the sale so im going to get them re-covered along with the rear seat.unless i find some immaculate originals.

Back to the top

GAMMYGOLFGTI said

Took me a couple of glances to realise what looked so different,  looks so strange with smoothed sides, also the rear arches look wider than norm, or is it just the camera angle?

Be good to see it on Sunday at All Types  :P  :P

i was wondering about the rear arches,they do look wide.il be able to tell for sure on sunday.the sides and rear have'nt been touched yet,not too sure what im going to do.might just put the waist line strip in on its own or get the arches and strips and put it completely back to stock.il be able to get some inspiration at the weekend.

Back to the top
A bit more progress made since the wales show

tints removed

standard back box

original lights and badges

original steering wheel and gear knob

Back to the top
The first pic of the thread made me frown, however, as I saw each pic emerge, I started to smile.  Starting to look great again :-)

1981 MkI Golf Cabrio

Back to the top

Zeffi said

The first pic of the thread made me frown, however, as I saw each pic emerge, I started to smile.  Starting to look great again :-)

Cheers mate,she is starting to take shape bit by bit.

Back to the top
Spot the subtle difference.Wheels are ordered:-)

Back to the top
Looks miles better with the swage line!

The standard rear lights set it off too mate

Loverly

Back to the top
very nice  8)

Back to the top
Happy Happy Happy

Im over the moon with how its turned out.Thats the bulk of the exterior done,only a few details left to do.Interior is next.

Back to the top
what a difference dude 8)

Back to the top
lovely car :P

jj weir
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.