Skip navigation

Guy's Rivage

Back to the top

Guy's Rivage

its been a while!! :$was SORN for months but now back on the road this summer… have finally found this thread so I can throw some updates on here! :lol:

Guy

91 Rivage project thread < its a slow process but getting there!

Back to the top
so since she was SORN'd and the put back on the road with surprisingly little effort I have been ironing out a few niggles and identifying areas for improvement.

jobs done for MOT - new brake lines as old ones were shot and new injection unit from a rado as it failed on emissions, was adjusted, passed and then wouldn't run.

since MOT and driving it.

on another thread I was having problems with the brake lights not working, fixed these through changing out the fuse in the fuse box (twice), decided to go the whole hog and completely refresh the fuses in the fuse box.

fuse box before by Guy Frankland, on Flickr

fuse box after by Guy Frankland, on Flickr

had a little crack at the drivers door card.. it had three problems. the leatherette was coming away from the card, the handle kept on falling off and the speaker cable was earthing and causing an error on the radio.

interior in need by Guy Frankland, on Flickr

so, door card off, speaker cable sorted, plates made up for door handle grommits… then epoxied to the door… they ain't coming off! then reattached the leatherette and glued and stapled it in all the right places…

door card by Guy Frankland, on Flickr

not 100% happy with it so might revisit when I sort the passenger door card out.

the poppers on the tonneau cover were either missing or looked rubbish so I replaced them all… haven't taken an after shot yet but this is the state it was in before…

interior in need by Guy Frankland, on Flickr

I can now drive down the road with the top down and not worry that it is going to ping off at any moment!

replaced the pedal covers with some cheapies I bought from ebay.. not too impressed with them but better than the ones that were falling off

did a little clutch adjustment today as there was too much travel and started to have a little tinker in the engine bay, just some odd jobs, cleaning washer jet contacts and wiper blade contacts… now spray much stronger and appear to wipe faster!

found that the airbox wasn't closed properly… must have been the garage.. now sorted.

next up, service, door cards and roof repair and refit rear carpet once I know it is watertight again. then repair and repaint the seats. :)

Guy

Back to the top
Good news on the brake light issue Guy.
Just keep at it matey and it will soon come right. Like you say it just takes time.
I have some spare material for the roof if you need it. Under and over patch till your ready for a new one.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

chortle said

Good news on the brake light issue Guy.
Just keep at it matey and it will soon come right. Like you say it just takes time.
I have some spare material for the roof if you need it. Under and over patch till your ready for a new one.

hi carl

that sounds tempting… I purchased some from ebay but I want to create almost a second skin on the rear 'panel' where the window is so that it looks almost complete and not 'patchy' - the material on that entire section is pretty fubar really - how much are you thinking ok £ wise? pm me if you like? ;)

Guy

Back to the top
so its been a few days… ECP were having a -30% sale on service items so I ordered oil filter, 5L 5W40, new air filter, new spark plugs etc…

ran some wynns engine cleaner through the system

popped it up onto a chuff ramp

Chuff ramp by Guy Frankland, on Flickr

drained it and replaced the oil filter

replaced the air filter too, the old one was orrible

New and old air filters by Guy Frankland, on Flickr

tightened up the rocker gasket as that appeared to be leaking somewhat

gave the bay a clean, not perfect and needs a lot more work!

Engine clean by Guy Frankland, on Flickr

also replaced the MFA stalk as the original was knackered.. the MFA selector had sprung out of the stalk and was determined that it wasn't going back in!

Mfa stalk replacement by Guy Frankland, on Flickr

MFA still isn't working on the dash though… will have to have a read up on it… unless anyone has any specific suggestions?

have obtained some hardboard for the door card replacement - hope to get around to cutting them out to template, waterproofing them and building them up with the original components from the existing cards.

Guy

Back to the top
stripped out the carpet today to check that everything was ok after last years deluge  :whistle:

pleased to say it was…

Interior cleaned by Guy Frankland, on Flickr

added a bit of sound deadening

Sound deadening applied by Guy Frankland, on Flickr

and then popped it all back together and added a sticker - and as we all know a sticker like this adds +5bhp ;)

Golf mk1 forum sticker by Guy Frankland, on Flickr

Guy

Back to the top
Nice work Guy. Engine bay is getting there. Going to look proper good when finished mate. Keep up the good work :)

Back to the top
Nice Rivage and good effort.

1991 Black Sportline 1.8 GTI Cabby - gone

1983 Papyrus Green 1.5 Auto GL Cabby - gone

1984 Nevada Beige MK2 Golf 1.6CL LHD Auto - gone

1981 Schwartz Black MK1 Golf 1600 GTI - gone

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top

smudger said

Nice work Guy. Engine bay is getting there. Going to look proper good when finished mate. Keep up the good work :)

thank you :)

if only there weren't so many goddam wires and cables going everywhere!! Does anyone have any examples of a GTi engine bay that has been, erm, simplified.

i'm also using this thread MK1 Golf GTI - Engine Detailing | Detailing World Forum as a bit of inspiration… although I don't think i'll get there just yet!!

Guy

Back to the top
Wow that engine bay on detailing world looks awesome. Lots of hard work gone into that. Credit to him.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Very nice Rivage you have there… Good work on interior and engine  :cool:

Back to the top
right… its time to log back in and update!!

as usual it's been a while! :$have just serviced with oil change, coolant flush, new fuel filter, spark plugs, HT leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm

have also just correction detailed but will wait till other bits are done before posting pics!

added new genuine hella headlights but am really, really, struggling to find genuine inner spots 😕 (want in new/A1 condition)

have had a problem with rough idle but found the source of the air leak and done a temporary fix for the moment.

more to come…

Guy

Back to the top
Wow, it's the brother (or sister?) of mine. J510NDD!  :thumbs:

1992 MK1 Golf GTi Rivage - Classic Blue Metallic - Long term project
1991 MK1 Golf GTi Rivage - Classic Green Pearl - Sold

Back to the top
ha ha!! indeed!! Looks like you found yourself a good motor there!  :thumbs:

Guy

Back to the top
finally found some original hella spots and fitted them today! also found a socking great dent in the rad so going to replace that sucker at some point.

also replaced the little rubber outer ring on the rear boot lock today… i've been meaning to do it for ages and it looks so much better!

Guy

Back to the top
lovely car there !

ive got alot of grafting before mine gets to that standard :)

loved reading all the updates :)

Alps 1992 Rivage Green, 1991 Rivage Blue (SOLD), 1986 GTI convertible White (SOLD) 

Back to the top
well its one step forward and one step back at the moment... was all working perfectly and went out last night, tried starting the car to come home and the starter motor was shot. got the old one off, will fit a new one on saturday.

Guy

Back to the top
VERY nice Rivage !  Ever thought of putting 3 point seat belts in the back?

Work on my Clipper

Back to the top

jez said

VERY nice Rivage !  Ever thought of putting 3 point seat belts in the back?

cheers Jez… I did think about it a few years ago when I was with someone that had a small person… but I don't have any kids myself and there is hardly any time when people go in the back now and I am trying to keep things standard.

Guy

Back to the top
little update…

popped a new starter motor today in as the last one went ping last wednesday, had the usual kerfuffle with ECP and the wrong part but got the right one today.

Looks like the front engine mount is shot… at least what I think is the front engine mount… sits with the starter motor bolts through it? Will check in the engine section.

replaced the plastic seat runners and handle bushes… i had ordered these thinking that I could find a home for them but I couldn't - any ideas if I should be able to find a home for them?

also added top rad card thanks Shugy :thumbs:then started on an engine bay clean as a camshaft oil seal leak made a bit of a mess last year! 

Guy

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.