Skip navigation

16v kr conversion wiring loom

Back to the top

16v kr conversion wiring loom

I give in, will it be a quality job for £90? Do you wrap it all and make it look neat too?

Back to the top
i send it back unwrapped but with it held together with strips of tape every foot or so. I have to do this because i don't have direct access to the car, so the routing is my best guess. that way if you need to adjust anything you can do so easily :)

then when you are happy you can wrap it up in your desired tape or harness wrap, i recommend this stuff which is pretty much identical to the OEM VW harness tape:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Scapa-Rayon-Cloth-Wiring-Loom-Tape-1-Rolls-18mm-x-25m-/270533414190

it will be a quality job, but then i suppose im biased. if it helps I think I have wiring OCD, for one thing i removed my entire dash so i could replace the spliced stereo loom for a completely uncut loom i spent nearly 2 hours removing from a MK3 golf in the scrappy, including the proper key-in-ignition live feed from the ign switch. i also put in the lights on warnign buzzer while i was there. all without cutting any wires :lol:
ive done loads of looms for peeps on many forums so hopefully someone can vouch for my work :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Sounds like you have quite high standards. Its annoying because I'm just starting electrical hand skills as part of my avionics course which I will be doing lots of crimping, soldering and making aircraft spec wiring looms, and I really wanted to do it myself, but I struggle reading the wiring diagrams and knowing where to connect stuff. Although I think I have most of the connections in the right place .
Will it come back ready to plug in to my fusebox?
The brown connector that fits onto the temperatue sensor on the side of my cylinder head needs some attention as the wires have broken off, I have the connector, would you sort that out too?  :D

Back to the top
heres a guide on how to read VW wiring diagrams:
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=38676

and another one i wrote:
http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=173722

by the sounds of it once you get your head round this you should have no problem doing the job, KR wiring conversion is pretty much the simplest one you can start with :)

Back to the top
Even if the car started as Driver? Thanks for helping, I think I'll keep perservering with it, and hopefully with your guidance, knowledge and a bit of flooke I manage to do it.
What was the loom you mentioned that goes behind the dash for the isv? I think that bits missing. The 3 connectors I have from the isv look as though they would have plugged into the corrado fuse box.

Back to the top
I think I may be finally getting somewhere. I have made a list and noted down every single wire in my engine bay, original mk1 loom, kr loom, ecu/ tci loom and made notes on where everything connects to/ from.
I have looked at the wiring diagrams too, and I have to say suprisingly they're starting to become clearer and make more sense.
But, I'm not certain on where to connect the 3 wires coming from the ecu loom, so I'm just wondering if you can confirm my thinking is right.
Black/ yellow stays connected and goes to the throttle valve switch.
Black/ White I connect to the coil +ve.
And red/ yellow I'm unsure of because it says connect to D13, but the D13 on my original fuse box is empty  :dontknow:

Back to the top
Black/yellow - idle switch closed signal, goes to the throttle switch and the isv controller see diagram on page 2 circuit track 28. note how F25 (throttle switch) has 2 sw/ge (black/yellow) wires from it. 1 goes to a box [29] which means it runs to circuit track 29, which is on the next diagram for the ISV controller. the other wire runs across to the previous diagram to the ECU :)

Black/White - ecu pin 5, ign live feed from coil +ve

red/yellow - fuel pump trigger to D/13

with the last one this is needed if you want to use a proper 16v/EFI type fuel pump relay. rather than a rev counter signal these use a -ve trigger from the ECU.

Since your car was a carby there is no fuel pump wiring either, so you will also need to add a pin to E/14 for the fuel pump, plus a thinner wire on a spade connector for the WUR. See the last diagram for this, the 1 pin connector is T1g on there.  its just a spade connector hanging off E/14 on a short length of wire, this means the engine loom can be split from the car. if it was joined to E/14 then you wouldn't be able to disconnect it without cutting the wire if you know what I mean?

You have 2 choices to go with this:
1. find a random spare CE1 fusebox loom and chop out pins from it for D/13 and E/14 (E/14 is the larger pin type fyi) then pop these into your fusebox plugs.

2. wire up a separate relay above the fusebox, if you do this use a std automotive switched 40a relay. Wire this up as usual except run the earth for it to the red/yel wire, rather than direct to ground.

you could use a k-jet relay without a rev limiter in the fusebox, that way you can leave the red/yel wire to D/13 disconnected but you would still need to add an E/14 pin.

Oh and don't forget to add the fuel pump fuse 5 if you add all the fuel pump wiring to the fusebox ;)

Back to the top
ok, Thanks.
So can I connect the black/white wire from the ecu direct to the coil +ve?

I'll have to have a think about the red/yellow wire and study the diagram and your instructions cause it sounds complicated.

If I can just concentrate on the coil wiring for now i'll conquer the rest one step at a time.

So, to coil -ve Should I connect the green from ecu loom direct to it, The red/black from the isv which splits from the spade connector, and the red/black from d16 on my original fuse box.

+ve side of coil, Black from ecu loom, black/white from the 3 pin female connector (which shares the same connector as the red/yellow and black, yellow) and the wiring diagram shows a black wire coming from d23 on my original fuse box that goes to the coil aswell, which I presume connects to the +ve connector too.

Back to the top
yep black/white direct to the coil +ve. on the MK2 the TCI and ECU power wires both go to the same spade, for some reason on the corrado vw split the black/white wire off to a separate plug.

you should be able to figure it out with a bit of reading, simply put the ECU controls the fuel pump on th 16v and later VWs, using an earth trigger wire. the relay itself is just a switched relay with no complicated gubbins inside, so it has an ign live, a live and an output to the pump. instead of the earth being direct to ground,it runs to the ecu via D/13. early k-jet cars instead have a relay which takes a rev counter input, this is why if you pop one of these in you can ignore the D/13 wire.

coil -ve yes, you run the green wire from the tci to here. this is what tells the coil to spark.

then you have the red/black wire to the fusebox, this is the signal for your rev counter. last of all on the 16v there is an extra wire with a spade, this is the rev counter signal to the isv control box, so it knows what the revs are :)

D/23 is the live feed from the ignition switch which powers the coil, the wires from the tci and ecu are piggybacking to this feed so they also get power from the ignition switch. you could run these to a separate ign live feed if you wanted, its just vw chose to run them off the coil +ve side.

on the coil all the pins on the + side are joined together, same with the 2 pins on the -ve side.

the coil gets power from the fusebox, and the tci/ecu piggy back off this feed. the coil is triggered to fire by the -ve feed to the TCI unit, the rev counter/isv piggy bag off this signal so they 'see' when the coil has fired :)

edit: oh, its worth noting the massive spade terminal 'N' is also a fuel pump feed, so you could run the pump and WUR to this. it is not fused however so you'll need to put an inline fuse in the feed wire.  this is up to you, I prefer to wire everything as per factory, but there is no reason why you cant do it this way. the advantage is if you use this and a k-jet relay from gsf without a limiter, you wont need to add the D13 and E/14 fusebox pins :)

Back to the top
Thanks for all the great help so far, I've got another question. The kr loom has a female black plastic connector with 2 wires, 1 black/ red and 1 black/ blue, it goes to one of the corrado fuse box plugs, any ideas?

Back to the top
ah, i believe thats the reverse light switch, does it come out near the gearbox area?

Back to the top
Yeah, it does mate. I thought it might have been something radiator related because of the length and the area it reaches. I shall chop it out. Thanks.

I bagged myself a lift pump and reservoir, and an early 16v airbox at the weekend too. Hopefully, just got the fuel lines, drive shafts and an exhast to sort when my wiring is done and she should be almost there. Oh, and the gear linkage problem.
 :lol:

Back to the top
i used my standard mk1 airbox and just added an extra port for the extra breather, exhaust wise i brought a conversion manifold at first but with my power steering conversion the rack and manifold were touching so took it off and sold it then for the same price as what the manifold cost me i put a standard mk2 manifold on and went to powerflow in kingswinford and they built me a full stainless system for £280 .. whats wrong with the gear linkages ???

Back to the top
My car started life as a 1.3, I would have used the corrado airbox that came attached to the kr lump but it was frikkin massive and I couldn't close the bonnet. I bought a second hand 16v conversion manifold off here, not sure what make it is but it seems to do the job. I've just finished heat wrapping it as I have read horror stories of heat causing the rubber boots on the steering set on fire. I might try powerflow for a quote, they did a good job on my old crx exhaust. Does anybody make an off the shelf system from the manifold back? Or is custom the main way?
I can't select 4th or 5th and 3rd is a struggle to find. I had to convert my gearlinkage to gti spec too as the 1.3 linkage was different. I replaced all the bushes, it probably needs adjusting.

Back to the top
yeah just adjustment, its a right pita too lol, i brought a reducer for my 4-1 manifold and linked it to my standard system, whatever make your 4-1 is they will also do the rest of the system if your going down that route ..

Back to the top
Thanks for that mate.
This wiring loom goes from one extreme to the other, I thought it was going suprisingly until I discovered my new dilemma.

The black/White wire from the ecu that I thought would connect straight onto the coil +ve is more difficult than I thought. It's only black/ White from the ecu and upto the connector. After the connector it's just black and then the black wire splits into 2 black wires. 1 black wire goes to the over run valve, the other black wire goes to an old corrado fuse box plug, but the connector in the plug is crimmped to has another black wire crimmped to the same connector which connects the isv. Then it's the same story again in the isv, it also has 2 wires connected together and another black wire that goes to the throttle switch.
So basically, the black wire goes from the origional black/White ecu wire, turns black after the connector, splits one to the over run, the other to the throttle valve switch via an old fuse box plug and the isv.

Also, the isv has 2 wires that I need to do something with, a green wire about 3 inches long and has a spade connector on it, and a blue/ black wire also with a spade connector on. My guess is the blue/ black wire would connect to one of the 3 spades on the side of the cyl head for water temp, but I don't need it now because the original mk1 wire replaces it, but I'm lost on the green one.

Please help !!

Back to the top
green wire coming out of the isv control relay ?? thats for the mk2/corrodo aircon and not needed :D

Back to the top
the black/white wire is an ignition live feed, thats all. just on mk2 this connects to the coil. run the corrado side of the black/white wire to the coil, then thats done.

car side of this chop out the bit that went to the coil,and run the over-run valve to an ign live from the fusebox as per the diagram I sent you :)
OR retain the 3 pin corrado plug, and splice the fusebox black wire you have to the over-run valve ign live feed as per the diagram I sent you. either way will work!

as above, green wire isnt required, but the blue/black is probably the isv control unit ign live feed. again, double check the diagram i sent you and run it to the fusebox where it tells you :)

at the end of the day remember that the golf and corrado 16v controls are the same, its only the wiring location and routing that differs here and there. the golf wiring diagram will tell you exactly how it needs to be wired to your fusebox :)

Back to the top
Hi there is putting a kr 16 valve engine in to a mk 1 cabriolet a worthwile conversion? how much other stuff do you need to change as well as the loom? drives? mountings,exhaust,  I was thinking of this conversion for my mk1 cabrio 1.8 gti dx engine code,  :D

Back to the top
oh yes its awesome in a cabby ;)

just take the DX out, bolt in the kr the same way. the bits you need to change are the manifold & downpipe, plus the engine bay bits of the fuel system and electrical stuff.

physically it will bolt in the same way using all the old mounts and running gear, the odl fuel pump will be fine, though the fuel lines will need bending over to the driver side, or replace the lot with crazyquiffs mk1 16v fuel line kit.  before you bend the old lines inspect them carefully, if they're starting to rot then bin em!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.