Skip navigation

10 years later...

Back to the top

1987 Mk1 Cab

yeah I know them through a friend and they are quite clever kiddies.

Back to the top
Well… After 6 years in dry storage and gathering a selection of required parts and spares, it seems a miracle that the car has finally left for paint. I have a few things planned so hopefully things will not get forgotten about for another 6 years!
image.jpeg

Back to the top
 :ocf_emoticons__eek:  :ocf_emoticons__punk:  :ocf_emoticons__clap:

bronze_zpsa6ede075.png

Back to the top
And I thought I was slow. Glad you didn't give up on it :)

Banner

Back to the top
Fingers crossed it will actually get finished this time!

Engine and wheels are sourced which is a relief to me (pending the wheels arriving from Poland).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just trying to locate the final pieces of the jigsaw and then hopefully all will be complete by March/April time.

As they say, "Rome wasn't built in a day"… Or in this case it would be 6/7 years…

Last edit: by Foxster

Back to the top
I will probably be saying the same this time next year, at least I will have this to keep me occupied when all else fails (I can't take any credit for it but I couldn't resist adding it to the collection):

image.jpeg  

Back to the top
Hi all,

The progress is slow again but the car is the shop and waiting for it's turn in the queue. On a positive note the arches look strong…
image.jpeg There should be some decent progress when I get home in a couple of weeks as the engine is heading off to get overhauled (sticking with the original lump now as a previous deal collapsed). 

Oh and the wheels arrived from Poland…
image.jpeg
I will be relying on a lot of you lovely members for help throughout this project so I really hope you all don't mind too much 😇.

Back to the top
Hi all,

Just a quick update, I have had to pull the car out of the bodyshop due to lack of progress. The car is now getting stripped further ready for paint and the mechanical scope is ongoing. This car WILL be done this year, even if I have to rattle can it myself.
IMG_3144.JPG image1-6.JPG

Back to the top
DOUBLE POST - PLEASE DELETE

Back to the top
Pretty much there with the stripping now. Dash and glass is out, a couple more hours work is required to remove unwanted/needed brackets from the engine bay. It will then be awaiting me to arrange some paint but this is all work dependant at the moment.

The shell is very solid, almost perfect. There's a small hole in one of the rear arches which will require a repair.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
I trial fitted the wheels yesterday (very roughly) and decided that I will need to use some smaller lips on the front and possibly on the rear. I'm heading up to Mike the Polisher tomorrow to have all the wheels rebuilt to suit. I want to try and avoid the tyre stretch too so will have to see how it goes and try and work it best we can. 

On a more positive note I have located an ABF lump, just need to decide on Throttle Bodies now. I also have some other rather neat items lined up. 

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
Good to see some progress on the car, keep going and post up plenty of pictures.
You could be enjoying driving it in the summer next year if all goes to plan….  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Good to see some progress on the car, keep going and post up plenty of pictures.
You could be enjoying driving it in the summer next year if all goes to plan….  :thumbs:

You certainly never know! The years seem to fly by now…

Back to the top
love those wheels!! what are they???

keep up the good work mate  :thumbs:

Back to the top
They are custom built using a Rial Mesh base with BBS RS drums & lips etc. I can't wait to see them when they come back from Mike's.

Back to the top
I only have a small update really.

There is possibly a change of plan as I have just purchased these (they are the perfect fitment and I just couldn't resist = Skint):

14890435_1243168872395515_3104096223137415403_o.jpg
14889944_1243168875728848_511229199433143075_o.jpg
14856133_1243168869062182_6924029975947968259_o.jpg

They are BBS RS001's and they have been ceramic polished. I just need more tires now = expense  :(. This means that the Rial's could be for sale, they are currently with Mike the Polisher for a full rebuild. I will get some photos when I am over his next. It will be interesting to compare to the two sets.

I have also managed to source a low level radiator, a cam belt cover and a dizzy delete oil breather ready for the ABF. They are like this but with the mk1 radiator:

14700807_1677143249281079_2899768508024226423_o.jpg

Joe at Fresh Reflections makes these parts, they look fantastic and I can't wait to see them in the flesh when they arrive.

When I get back home from work I am hoping that the bay will be prepped. It's all about keeping the fingers crossed.

Back to the top
Nice shiny stuff! :)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Hmmmm shiny!

Glad it's moving along again

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Lovely wheels! 15"?

Whats size lips are you running on the front and rear rims?

Back to the top
Thanks guys.

ConvictGTI-No.1983EW said

Lovely wheels! 15"?

Whats size lips are you running on the front and rear rims?

Fronts are 7.5" X 15" and rears are 8" X 15".
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.