Skip navigation

What can i Do to get this Mk1!!

Back to the top

What can i Do to get this Mk1!!

hi guys. There is a mk1 golf sitting in a local forecourt thats been there for apparently 8 years. The owner of the car is in no way affiliated with the car garage and they gave me a number to phone the guy that owns it however, the number isnt right and its just some little old lady on the phone. It seems the guy was just totally left the car for dead and i really really really want it. Its not even in that bad knick. I just want to work on it.

Is there anything i can do. any weird laws by which the garage owners can give/ sell me the car due to the fact its been sitting there for ages. The guy at the garage said "that things scrap" but it very much isnt. i had a look under the bonnet. Rust is minimal surprisingly.

What can i do if anything?

I also get the feeling the people that run the garage really hate the thing.

Back to the top
apply for the logbook

Back to the top
This might sound silly but have you been back to the garage to get the right phone number? Failing that talk to the police.Tell them the reg and the story behind the car sat there for 8 years and they may be able to contact the owner. You need to act fast or some one could have it away!

Banner

Back to the top
I've been once and got a number and phoned up again n they gave me the same number. I'd feel a little uneasy about asking the police for information. Id feel i'd rather talk to the garage first and really ask them for some proper help with it and see what they would say to me applying for a logbook or going through the police to find the owner.

Are there any laws in which a car left on someones property can be removed or destroyed. Could be a little loop hole to take it off the garages hands and into mine.

Back to the top
It all seems a little strange to me. If its nothing to do with the garage, why is it sat there? Do they not want it? How come they have let it sit there? Is the car sorn? DO THEY KNOW THW OWNER????

Its been there a long time. I would talk to the police first. They should be able to tell you if you can apply for the log book.

Banner

Back to the top
Quite sad i know but i just google streetviewed the garage to see the car sitting outside. Dreaming of owning it and made a little discovery. The photos taken were obviously done a few years ago. Since then the car has had a new set of wheels put on it and looks as if it has been moved around the forecourt. So someone has been doing something to the cars. Also, there are actually two mark ones. A blue one which looks to have been for sale but when i went to to look at the cars, the blue one was smashed to pieces and looked as if it had been on fire.

Strange.

Back to the top
The people ive spoke to at the garage have given me a name but it seems to be a second name. so i dont think they know him that well. Im going to phone them later on n see whats what. And perhaps hint at talking to the police/applying for a logbook.

Back to the top
i'd put the reg no into this site ocrbase - Find Obstacle Course Races and Mud Run Events abd see when it was last taxed and if it's sorned. then either contactdvla for the current owners or just apply for the logbook and see what happens. the dvla will send a letter to the current owners about the logbook application

Back to the top
Vehicle Identification

Manufacturer: Volkswagen
Model: Not available
Year: 1983
Colour: Red
Fuel Type: Petrol
Engine Size (CC): 1272
VIN: Not available
V5C Issued: Not available

Tax

Tax Status: SORN Not Due
Expiry Date: 01/06/2011
Registration Date: 10/06/1983
6 Month Cost: £71.50
12 Month Cost: £130.00

That what that site has come up with.

Back to the top
it isn't as easy as just applying for a log book though, or else anyone could be doing it and having whatever car they wanted, do the garage not have an address for the owner ? i had something similar to this years ago and if i remember right we had to send a recorded delivery letter to the owner giving him 14days to remove it or the garage could do with it as they wish .. sommat like that anyhow .. good luck :D

Back to the top
Looks to me like some one is using this car. Perhaps the owner has an agreement with the garage just to keep it there?

Banner

Back to the top
Im going to phone them again and try and get to the bottom of it. They just gave me a number (which wasn't the right one) and a second name.

Back to the top

Red-or-Dead said

Looks to me like some one is using this car. Perhaps the owner has an agreement with the garage just to keep it there?

The car doesnt have any wing mirrors or locks. i cant see how they'd be using it to be honest.

Back to the top
Keep us in the loop. Its an interesting one this is!!!!

Banner

Back to the top

"Scooblitz" said

"Red-or-Dead" said

The car doesnt have any wing mirrors or locks…

But its taxed isnt it, according to you print out?

Banner

Back to the top
It appears that way. the car was no where near road worthy when i went to go and see it. The license plate had been spray panted over, the interior was riddled with mould etc etc. Didnt have m.o.t thats for sure. hopefully they open on a sunday.Do you think someone has actually taken it off them and got it up and running?

Back to the top
I really dont know. The garage must know more than there letting on! They would not leave a car there like that. Still think the police is your best bet. Get down your local cop shop and give them the reg number. They will check it on there systems anyway because you have made an enquiry on the car. They may not tell you any thing, but they may contact the customer for you as an ongoing concern! Its got to be worth a try. You never know the owner may not want it and tell you to take it away! Anyway, go to takethe family on a easter egg hunt but will log on later tonight and check your progress. Best of luck and keep me in the loop. This ones got me hooked!!!!!!

Banner

Back to the top
Ive been kind of getting that impression from them aswell actually. Somethings not quite right and im sure theyve given several people the run around. But i am determined to get this car. This car is my summer project. well, if i get it. The idea was to buy one to restore over summer and this little fellow could be the one.

Back to the top
It may not be taxed, it may be that the SORN runs out in June, I just put my reg in that checker and mine comes up Sorn not Due, then December 2011, so it may not be taxed!

Good luck in getting the car!

Back to the top
Its not taxed but SORNed, according to your enquiry. So someone has at least applied/renewed the SORN, so its not just been dumped. Also you say its being worked on, albeit only the occasional job every now and again.

You can't really read into it having no locks, the owner probably feels its secure enough where it is. The fact that the garage isn't giving you much/any useful info is probably a hint that the car won't be going to you, they are obviously looking after it for someone. They are under no obligation to reveal the details, after all.

If you apply for the V5 it doesn't prove anything. The current owner would get a letter asking if they're still the registered keeper etc, and even if they don't respond to this and you get it in your name, it doesn't prove OWNERSHIP, just who's REGISTERED for it. So I can't see any merit in doing this - more likely to exacerbate the situation.

All sorts of unusual occurrences occur with old cars in between being roadworthy, and being scrapped. Its probably worth saving, its just a question of when….and by who….

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.