Skip navigation

From faulty alternator to full rebuild! (now with pics)

Back to the top

From faulty alternator to full rebuild! (now with pics)

So I made the mistake of buying a pattern alternator made of cheese which kept working loose. Eventually it lost the belt on the way back from Nottingham and my engine overheated warping the head. So I decided to do a head gasket and get it skimmed.
But upon removing the head (only ever worked on 1.3 engine before) it transpired piston number 2 was sitting 3/4mm lower than number 3. Uh-oh, bent conrod or bust big end bearing. The engine had run fine but on 200K ish was always a little noisy. Probably added to by the fact an exhaust manifold stud was missing.

So now I embark on a full rebuild. Went to get a replacement engine today (thanks Hibbs) and took it apart tonight to find the headgasket stuck on with sealant but….the block is in good shape, hooray!

So tomorrow I will take more parts off the bottom end, give it all a good clean and paint some parts up. The engine bay has a had a quick clean but I plan to do some more once the old bottom end is out. Going to build the whole thing up before it goes back in. My first close up experience with a non Polo engine, it's good to be learning my way around it more.

Will post some pictures tomorrow but here is my golf a few weeks ago:

And Slovenia last year before the new roof:

Back to the top
So the engine I bought has a cracked block and the wrong alternator fitted…back to square one and 70 quid down. :(

Oh well will get there somehow.

Back to the top
So I decided not to let the cracked block get me down and bite the bullet and learn how to rebuild a bottom end. Took the cracked one apart first and labelled everything up and wrapped it up safely.
Today I took apart my engine after my friend helped me take it out last week. Super easy the second time around when you know the tricks to get stuff undone. My parents are still talking to me despite the state of the garage as well, bonus.
Cleaned inlet mani vs non cleaned, now all built up I'm happy to say.

To get the inner flywheel bolts off, helped by metal toolbox stopping the engine turning!

Sump off, looks weird eh?

To hold engine still, whilst undoing crackshaft nut…I need help later as engine keeps lifting.

Dirty face (pressure washed gearbox) but clean hands thanks to gloves

And the bay after cleaning.

Whole bottom end should be apart tonight. Got bottom end gaskets on the way, ordering piston rings tomorrow and getting my honing tool on Wednesday. Just need a clutch now! Anyone know where I can get a Sachs one cheapish?

Back to the top
Take my hat off to you for doing the rebuild yourself, and not giving up after all that bad luck. Just how much bad luck can one person have  :dontknow:  Sure things will now look up and you'll soon be back on the road. Keep the updates coming.

Back to the top
Bad luck? This is good for me haha, nearly exactly 3 years since I got hit by my own car at 70mph whilst fixing it on hard shoulder.

Got a local garage to undo the pesky crankshaft nut in exchange for some biscuits. :)
Started taking some bits out of the bottom end but needed to walk my dog so left it for tonight.
Finishing it tomorrow and ordering all the part on Friday so can start rebuilding after cleaning and painting everything at the weekend.
Engine's are fun. :) Think whole rebuild will come in at under £500, not the best when you earn national minimum but I'll get there…just need to find a cheap alternator and clutch.

Back to the top
OMG - look at the state of that Mk1!

You say you were standing on the hard shoulder and someone hit your car at 70+mph which then ran you over?!?!? That is soooo not right!

BTW - cracking idea with the spanners to undo the crank shaft nut!

Back to the top
8O Now that really is the highest level of bad luck ! Hope you were'nt hurt too bad.

Back to the top
Yes I was stood with head under bonnet, guy did not see my car (mk2 polo I had just rebuilt, finished 10 days earlier!) til it was too late so he hit my car at 70, my car hit me and I flew about 20ft through the air landed on my back and head on the tarmac…did not break one bone but my back muscles were poorly for a while, couldn't walk far or drive. But lucky to be alive! I'm fine now thankfully though still go to osteopath for my back.

Spanners idea wasn't mine, I found it on here but there was no pic. So thought I would post one to help people! It took a big ass bar on it in the end though.

Back working on it tonight, just got back from a 10 hour day working with kids and no break haha.

Back to the top
Ouch. Like you say lucky to be alive - really lucky. Glad your okay now though.

Whats the latest on the engine rebuild ?

Back to the top
Update:

Tues and Weds night I got the rest of the bottom end apart:

So initial diagnosis of 2 bent conrods was correct, check these 2 wonky friends out:

Sorry about the Beirut garage mum…

So now I go to clean the internals I am using, needing this:

And a little bath for piston and conrod:

Before with after:

All done:

Coated in clean oil and wrapped back up:

Got my piston rings and big end bearings ordered today and started cleaning the block ready to be painted. :)

Back to the top
I have now cleaned the block and got it ready to be painted woo hoo. So this weekend can start putting it all back together maybe, depending on if I can afford the piston rings and big end bearings yet.

Clutch and alternator not til next month at least, :( unless GSF come good and refund me some money.

Back to the top
Texted you today Charlie, you spoke to dek?
When you want the handles too?
Keep up the good work on the engine.
Could you not have lifted the one out the blue cabby lol?
Cheers

Chortle

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Long time no update…since then I've reburbed the wishbones and ARB and fitted new bushes and ball joints. Got some new tie rods to go on too.

Before

After (new bolts from VW)

And here's the engine up to the other night (done more since, now got sump, new core plugs, and crankshaft fitted)

What are these? Flippin expensive!

Voilą…

Add to piston…

And then take a cleaned, painted, bare block…

And in they go…

Back to the top
Buzzing charbeans! Wont be long before its all fighting fit for the trip. Cant believe we drove 2500 miles to croati with spastic conrods! Good times :-)

Roll on Romania!

Back to the top
I know, testament to VW that it even worked!

Here's another update for the millions of people that have replied. ;-)

Gearbox before

And ready to go on…

Core plugs fitted

Rocker finished

Starter finished

Engine this morning

Now fitted the gearbox too.

Back to the top
Good work Charlie! Doing everything yourself methodical.

Can't believe it went to Croatia and back like that!

Back to the top
Thanks Lee.

I know neither can I, good on it though!

Gearbox is now on, next step is to fit new engine mounts, back of cam belt cover, and the final pulley. Then it's head (after some work) exhaust and inlet manifold and should be good to go. Then just 500 miles to run in, and got to be before I take it to Romania on July 23rd.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Back to the top
You cannot go on the 23rd, Charlie it's the AGM!!!!!!!

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Hehe I know :( I booked it before I found out. Sadly I think my 5 friends would be a bit peeved if I ditched them now, they'd all have to go in a Polo. Imagine that haha.

I may well come down on the Friday night, I'm not a paid member though so don't think I'm allowed in! I will be at some point (i.e. When my clipper Gti is sold!).

Would be good to meet some new people, then they might reply to my thread hahaha.

Derby and Leics crew should all meet up before then, any excuse to run it in with some miles. :-)

Back to the top
Your engine is looking good Charlie - Impressed. Good to see attention to detail. Good luck with the trip to Romania.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.