Skip navigation

Mk1 Golf C 1.1 :) (1.4 16v To Be Hopefully)

Back to the top

Mk1 Golf C 1.1 :) (1.4 16v To Be Hopefully)

Lovely project  8)

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.

Back to the top

linden said

been doing a lot of reading lately which im not to good at but been giving my best shot lol this 1.4 16v(AFH) conversion is really getting to me ive really got my heart set on this conversion. soo heres the worry the amount of different parts i need im planning to run bike carbs to get rid off a bulk of the wiring as that is really not my part as im rubbish at electrics, then there is people saying i need to use a different ignition system i.e mk2 polo what is the reason for this? im a bit puzzled about gearbox at the moment too i have read about people saying that they have cut and joint to mounts and overs saying easy swap? would love to know if anyone could help me a bit better than just reading words of mouth. any help i would love to hear thanks Linden

It is all very simple once you get your head around it :wink:

The mk2 polo ignition system is used because the AFH ignition advance is controlled by the ECU, and since you will be ditching the ECU and its wiring you will need some form of automatic timing adjustment so the engine runs most efficiently. The mk2 polo distributor slots straight into the side of the AFH head, and it has a vacuum bowl which connects to the inlet manifold to create a vacuum. This is what helps to adjust the timing :D  Then the mk2 polo ignition amplifier and loom connects the distributor to the ignition coil. This allows you to use the same coil type as your Golfs original system rather than using the coilpack from the AFH which is controlled by the ECU.

The passenger side gearbox mount only needs to be modified if you want to fit a 5 speed gearbox :wink: You can fit your Golfs 4 speed gearbox to the AFH engine if you want to save yourself the hassle of modifying the mount, but you will really wish you had that extra gear and for the sake of a few hours making the modified mount you will find it really is worth it :D You basically need the gearbox mount from the car that the 5 speed came out of, and the 4 speed mount from your Golf. You cut them both in half and weld the part of the Golf mount which bolts to the chassis to the part of the 5 speed mount which bolts to the gearbox.

The only other issue you have to overcome is that you need to use the AFH starter motor and flywheel, but if you buy a full AFH engine then it shouldn't be a problem. You can't use the Golf starter with the AFH flywheel as they won't connect.

Back to the top
thank you very much helps alot some one breaking it down for me to understand :) yea i know how much another gear helps my caddy was on a 4spd till i swapped it for a gti box. understanding the ignition side of things now and how much ive got to get saving and collecting parts for this swap not just a quick swap liked i hopped :( thanks for the help phataz1 :D

Back to the top
As long as you have the mk2 polo ignition stuff, everything will fall into place. You have to see the stuff in front of you to be able to understand it, thats how it was for me when I did my first transplant.

Another thing which has sprung to mind is the alternator belt pulleys. The AFH has a grooved belt instead of the 'V' belt like the mk1. I can't recall which way is easier as it was a mate that did this conversion, but the options are basically to either swap the AFHs engine pulley for a V belt one and use a mk1 type alternator, or swap the pulley off a mk1 alternator to a grooved belt and shim it out so its in line with the AFH engine pulley (the AFH engine mount is different to the Golf one so simply bolting an AFH alternator to the Golf engine mount wouldn't work as the pulleys don't line up).

This is all pretty easy stuff dude and doesn't take particularly long, you just need to get stuck in to understand it. :D

Back to the top
sooo been doing at few little bits and bobs in my spare time, ive had the seals pulled perfectly straight and re-sprayed one of my pet hates bent seals lol brought my self a set of strut braces and the front one didnt fit cause of my air filter gutted much :( got the new steering wheel off ebay for a bargain £41 posted :)

Back to the top
That looks sooo cool. Awesome mate and carry on with the updates. :)

1983 mk1 golf driver, small block 4 speed goodness. 

Back to the top
Long awaited up dat for you all :) got a new engine in over the last couple of days only 1.3 8v and 8p gearbox but still on my way to my g40 just collecting funds for to see it all through. heres some pics for you, let me know what you all think

Just one to make you laugh ;) my hole in my old gearbox i wondered why it leaked lol

Back to the top
looks mint man! thats the thing with old cars you find so many things wrong with it the more you look at them! i just had to put a new sump in mine from the cv joint hitting it! the hole looks a bit like the one on your gearbox! have a look at mine :)

Back to the top
This looks mint mate. Good work!

Back to the top
Threads a little old!

But on the first page where someone says about the engine mount on the AFH needing three bolts instead of two. Many people run just two bolts when running these engines in Polos, never heard of an issue.

Car looks great though, still got it?

Back to the top
What are you doing with the old engine?

Current:   Porsche 914 1973
Previous: Ghia, Golf Country 3 Trekkers, 2 Bugs, Trabby, Split Ambulance, Iltis etc.

Back to the top
youre engine bay looks great  :thumbs:

matt

Back to the top
Yea this looks smart  :thumbs:  any new updates?

Flick r - Flickr: ErosUK's Photostream Insta g r a m - @MK1_TOBY
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.