Skip navigation

Can I use wheel spacers in conjunction with wheel adapters?

Back to the top

Can I use wheel spacers in conjunction with wheel adapters?

Nay

The hubcentric adapter (spacer) NEEDS to sit on the hub rim properly, with a 10mm spacer in there it can't do that. How thick is the hubcentric adapter? Get one 10mm thicker.

Back to the top

paul_c said

Nay

The hubcentric adapter (spacer) NEEDS to sit on the hub rim properly, with a 10mm spacer in there it can't do that. How thick is the hubcentric adapter? Get one 10mm thicker.

adapter is 25mm thick.

i could of course fork out £100+ on a pair of 35mm adapters, but what I'm trying to find out is does anyone know if I can safely use much cheaper (£20) 10mm spacers in conjunction with the exisiting 25mm adapters to boost it to 35mm.

thanks

Go Hard or Go Home

Back to the top
basically it boils down to this, will the wheel and hubcentric spacer still centre properly with the 10mm spacer on, or not?

if they will, its fine. if not, it isnt!  10mm spacer is usually ok, but it depends on the hub/spacer design if the lip is thick enough for the centring to still wiork.

e.g. on my mk2 golf the rear discs had a hub lip that stuck out around 15mm, so 10mm hubcentric spacers would not fit as they were not deep enough. So i bought 10mm non-centric spacers which were finebecasue there was enough hub lip sticking out past them for the wheel to centre on.

yet when i came to do the same on my mk1 cabby, the rear disc hub lip was around 12mm so the 10mm non-centric spacer would no longer work because the wheel could no longer centre on the lip.
the hubcentric 10mm spacers fitted fine though!

hope that helps

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

mr-potato-head82 said

i could of course fork out £100+ on a pair of 35mm adapters, but what I'm trying to find out is does anyone know if I can safely use much cheaper (£20) 10mm spacers in conjunction with the exisiting 25mm adapters to boost it to 35mm.

thanks

You seem to be forgetting that you could sell your 25mm adaptors and make a fair chunk of the additional outlay back…

If you don't want to do that and ignore the advice given on here (which basically boils down to "DON'T USE CHEAP SPACERS"), that is up to you, but do us all a favour and let us know when you are out on the road so we aren't!  :mrgreen:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.