Skip navigation

Finally got a MK1!

Back to the top

Finally got a MK1!

Been looking for a MK1 Golf GTI for a while now and at last I got one that runs.

Picked it up last Saturday, 100 mile drive home and no problems, nice to drive a MK1 again.

Back to the top
had mine a month, welcome to all the pain and pleasure

If you can read this, thank a teacher,

If its in English, thank a soldier.

A soldier fights not because he hates whats in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him.

Back to the top
That looks incredibly strait!

Well done mate

Back to the top
cheers
had the pleasure of driving it home
now i got the pain of changing the fuel tank started leaking when i test drove it.
all good fun though.

Back to the top
Smart looking golf!

What are your plans?

Back to the top
not sure yet
prob sort the rear arches out then just enjoy it for a while
then coilovers, wheels but i want to keep it as standard as possible.
might fit better brakes to  few close shaves on way home from buying it.

Back to the top
Tried fitting this steering wheel tonight but it doesn't fit  :banghead: steering wheel to small, didn't know there is a different size in the steering columns between 82-83.

Any suggestions?

Back to the top
Mk2 golfs had a larger spline steering wheel. Maybe the previous owner may fitted an adaptor? It will come off but can be a bit tough!

1987 Caddy 1.6Turbo Diesel-GTD :D
Instagram:  Cavscp

Back to the top
Yeah the wheel that is on looks like Mk2, as what cavs said!

Back to the top
Yea looks like the 'original' wheel is a post '88 MK2 Golf or Cabrio. This would have needed an adaptor (why do people bother messing about like this, most people would have liked the original 4 button style wheel?) so now you'll have to convert it back to the standard pre '88 MK1 style by prob removing an extra collar/spline.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
yes, my 88 Caby has the same wheel as your tin top.

Looks a nice motor though, makes me want a tin top as well but need a bigger drive before I buy any more cars lol.

2007 Passat 2.0 Sport Estate TDI 170PS (The Bus) 2004 Golf FSI 1.6 (The Wifes) 1988 MK1 Golf Gti Cabriolet (The FUN!)

Back to the top
thanks for the replies tried to remove the mk2 coller/spline to day but failed
has anyone removed one before if yes how? relly dont like the steering wheel
thats on there now.

Back to the top
lovey mk1 dude :) makes me happy knowing people buying mk1's good luck with the steering wheel.

Back to the top
looks tidy mate, best of luck with it

Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Done a bit more the last few nights.  Decided to leave the steering wheel alone for now.  Now concentrating on fitted the new fuel tank as old one was leaking.
The old fuel tank is off no rust to be seen underneath  :D .  Getting a bit carried away as I have powder coated the back axle and all metal work.  All nuts and bolts have been shot blasted and platted or renewed.  Overhauling rear brakes and fitting powerflex bushes.  Just waiting on the fuel tank to be painted and the underside of the car to be wax oiled.
Noticed rear wheel cylinders that are fittted are the wrong ones as they are only held on by 1 bolt?

Back to the top
the wheel cylinders are alloy,they last longer than the cast iron ones and only use 1 bolt to hold them on,they never move anyway  :wink:
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
cheers for that mate i was going to order some 2moro.

Back to the top
It's been a while since my last post.
manage to get a few jobs done on the mk1 today, new cambelt and tensioner,new radiator and thermo switch and i finally got that horrible steering wheel and bush off so i fitted this steering wheel looks and feels alot better althrought it needs a refurbish.

sun was out so i took her for a spin and all is good i got a few flash's parked up when i got home and a bloke was admiring the mk1 saying his mate had one in the 80's and asked if i was selling it only been out in the mk1 about 5 time's and i could have sold it at least 3 times.
so only a engine service now and a new exhaust and she ready for volksfest wales in august cant wait.

Back to the top
it's been a while so i thought i'd post a few pictures.

haven't done much on her really fitted a new exhaust system, new suspension lowered the car a lot not sure if i like it? dug out my old mk1 seats just need to give them a good clean. went to margam park show and we won best club stand

striped out rear carpet and seats as i'm having new rear wheel arch's welded in over christmas.

Back to the top
Any updates?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.