Skip navigation

Watson's engine rebuild - small update . . . .

Back to the top

Watson’s engine rebuild - new mot and a few new pics....

Looks awesome Dave,

Want to get Feeby to this standard.

Really good

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Awesome work dude!

Back to the top
Keep up the good work Dave, looking fab.

A couple of small points; still think the waist plastic/chrome trims are on upside down :dontknow:  and the plastic oil filler cap is too modern?

oh and is the heater valve upside down?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

Keep up the good work Dave, looking fab.

A couple of small points; still think the waist plastic/chrome trims are on upside down :dontknow:  and the plastic oil filler cap is too modern?

oh and is the heater valve upside down?

waist line trim is the right way, but the heater valve is upside down……

dave, wonderful job mate……..love it.

Back to the top
Dave, very very nice job  :wink:

Banner

Back to the top

watson said

James: Disappointed that we won't make the Windsor or Malvern shows,  cars just not going to be ready in time.

Dave she's looking absolutely fantastic  8) , shame you cant make Malvern as I reckon you'd slaughter the 1970's class as she stands

Look forward to seeing you out and about next year  :wink:

Back to the top
gotta love a yella

muttley racing ftmfw

Back to the top

animal said

gotta love a yella

Is that a Diesel or a Formula E ??

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
formel e :) gonna lower it soon

muttley racing ftmfw

Back to the top

watson said

How did you clean up theise parts ? :)

Back to the top
WOW 8O Superb work! 8)

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments guys. Also thanks for pointing out things that are'nt right. Good to know now rather than when its finished. Will be attending to the heater valve later today.

I would have liked to take HGT along to Malvern, such a nice group the Midlands gang.  Warren, I'm sure even when finished, the golf will struggle when put up against the Mexico's and cars that never see rain.

Clive: The side trim and oil filler cap are original as it left the factory - last century !

Animal: Nice to see another lemon yellow 5 door - looks good lowered.

Sebamoi: I had those parts zinc plated - if only they cleaned up like that.

Back to the garage - update and pics in a few days.

Back to the top
Some good progress since the last update.  Massive thanks to Steve G for all his time and expert help. Electrics now all working again, and brakes bled. All the hoses back on and heater valve on the right way up.   Still got to tidy up the wiring and cables.  Best bit was when we turned the key and spun the engine just for a second - so good to see the golf come to life again after been dead since last December. Can't wait to drive it again.

Also pleased to report that I've come into some money. When the gear stick and gaiter was removed to referb the linkage, we found 3 old coins - one a 1963 two shilling bit - car park change which must have slid under the gaiter in HGT's younger days.

Surprising how flimsy the vaines on the top of the new rad are. Several times I've put them out of shape accidentally.  So made up an ali cover and sprayed heatproof satin black just to protect the rad top.  Also bought a couple of new plastic front suspension top covers to replace the old ones.

Latest pics:

Back to the top
As always Watson it looks top notch and as you say I bet you can't wait to get it out on the open road!!!

Back to the top
Excellent work. Cant wait to see pics of it finished!

Back to the top
Is that your Garage Dave..... Wok looks awesome...Weldone

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Looks great  8)

Back to the top
Fantastic rebuild Dave, nearly finished. Great attention to detail, well done

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
great job  :)

Remember, VW made the last car in 1992. After that they started making vehicles.

Back to the top
Good progress.  Fitted a new fuel pump, filter and fuel line hose's.
Pleased to report that we've fired up the rebuilt engine and had it running, so smooth and quiet - really pleased. Couldn't resist a pic of the smoke coming out of the peashooter.

We're cracking on at the weekend fitting the drive-shafts, and rebuilt gear linkage. Then run through the gears while its up on the stands. Tidy up the wiring - plus a few other bits and pieces, and several other things to go back on, and that should see it very nearly all back together.  Then mot time. Really looking forward to driving HGT again.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.