Skip navigation

Watson's engine rebuild - small update . . . .

Back to the top

Watson’s engine rebuild - new mot and a few new pics....

Dave i look forward to meeting you at DATP and you too James

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Watson

Your engine looks superb mate I am totally jealous  :x

I wish I had the expertise or one of my mates did but I would have to get someone to do all the work for me and mrs smith says no, our children need food, I just don't understand her :wink:

I just had a shoulder op yesterday so won't be able to touch or drive the golf for a fair while  :cry:

Keep up the brilliant work and pics

Cheers chris

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments folks. Really appreciate the feedback. Feel for you Masssbad with the opp.  I had a rotator cuff opp. with a wedge strapped under my arm after. Like having someone in a headlock 24/7 for 6 weeks  !  So frustrating I could only look at the golf. Big thanks to Steve (my daughters boyfriend / partner)  for doing a really 1st class job on the rebuild.   I think I'll be cutting your lawn forever to repay you!                                                                                                                            
Well the engine is now practically finished. Just a few bits left off to ease dropping it back in. Gave the brake reservoir and washer bottle a clean up with some cillit bang and some elbow grease and pleased how well they came up - fingers came up well too.  Finally got the Golf booked to go to the paintshop on 16th for the bay repaint.  Can't wait to drive it again.

IMGP1611.JPG

Sump fitted

IMGP1614.JPG

IMGP1615.JPG

Clean  engine

IMAG0226.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

Cleaned up brake reservoir

IMGP1657.JPG

Cleaned up washer bottle

IMGP1658.JPG

Back to the top
That looks amazing mate, I'm so jealous!

Are you going to be entering for Best Standard?

T

Back to the top
Dave

Send Steve up to Scotland for his hols and we will give him bed and board and when he is not sightseeing he could have a look at my dirty engine  :lol:

Us shoulder op guys should stick together.

Cheers Chris

Back to the top
Well Pucker Dave

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Very nice, hope mine looks half as good as this.

Back to the top
Did the bay get painted?

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
Nice work there! Any pics of the complete car, looks very like my own :D

Back to the top

Last edit: by watson

Back to the top
Neil yours that it the same spec as Daves car ??

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top

allana13 said

Neil yours that it the same spec as Daves car ??
Not sure, mine is a 79 1.1  4speed.

Back to the top
Really nice work there matey,

I'd be interested to know how many hours you've spent doing something like that. With some of the quality of the images I'd almost say that's a complete new engine.

Thats what I've fell in love with the MK1 cabby I'm buying, when looking under the hood the engine is quite a simple layout, not like newer built cars and what-not all hooked up to some electrical gubbings with sensors and wires taking up most of the room. They all have their purpose I guess, but I'm not all in for that.

By no means am I a person that knows allot about cars or how to fix them, but I do understand the genreal workings of how an engine works and runs so for me the simpler and older mk1 engine I fell in love with straight away.

Also an engine re-build like that how much would it that cost or starters? well before you find something that actually needs fixing or buying in other replacement parts. As it would be hard for a day-2-day bloke like myself without the proper tooling or garage to do at home.

Really awesome work mate, and the best I've seen so far on the site :)

I'm so flipping lonely, it's killing me lol at least I can laugh about it!!

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments. Yep both the same spec - '79 4 speed 1.1.  Quick update : HGT going to the paintshop tomorrow 21st for the bay repaint next week. Wheels and steering rack temperaly refitted so the car can be manovered about. It was nice to get it off axle stands and push it about in the garage - first time its moved since December. Sat in it too - ahh that mk1 smell all came back to me !  Will update in a few days. Can't wait to drive it again.

Back to the top
looking good watson !

Back to the top
Latest update;  Pulled the wiring back through the bulkhead into the car, and the holes taped up to prevent overspray into the interior. Opened up the engine mount brackets on the chassis rails a just couple of mil or so, so when the engines dropped back in, the new paint on them doesn't get damaged - will pull back in when the bolts are tightened up after.  Also dug out the paint in the chassis numbers stamped into the o/s turret, so they don't get filled with paint and become unreadable.  Seemed strange having an empty garage - a chance to have a big clear up and sweep through. A few of pics of the outward journey and prep in progress :

IMGP1659.JPG

Colour coded building.

IMGP1660.JPG

VW meets VW.

IMGP1661.JPG

Prepping.

IMGP1665.JPG

[ IMGP1666.JPG

More pics to follow.

Back to the top
Loving the colour coded factory, if I ever get mine sprayed, as you have set the trend, mine is getting painted in a red factory  :wink:

Back to the top
ikea dont paint cars do they :dontknow:  :dontknow:  :dontknow:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

1983(Y) VW GOLF GTi

Banner

Back to the top
is that your transporter Dave :wink:

looks good

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Done a few bits while HGTs been away.  Referbed the front bumper which I've been meaning to do for ages. Also cleaned up and painted various other parts, ready for reassembly.   I've looked everywhere for a new380X320 radiator, as the old original is looking well past its sell-by date.  Ended up with a slightly longer one from G & Swedish.  Then the shroud was too short,  so a quick trip to CQ's,  and picked up a nice new one, already powder coated.

When we went to collect HGT from the paintshop, they'd pushed it out onto the forecourt, and it was looking up the road like a faithful old dog waiting for its owner to return !   I've been thinking about removing the seam sealer that was plastered around the engine bay when new. Particularly around the turrets.  Should I clean it all off, so it looks nice when painted, or keep it original as it left the factory.  I decided to leave - hope I've made the right decision - too late now !

The first job when we got the car home was to remove the rack again and front suspension - all to be referbed and painted.  A few more pics:

Referbed front bumper.

IMGP1734.JPG

New rad and shroud.

IMGP1731.JPG

Journey home.

IMGP1668.JPG

Back in its home.

IMGP1671.JPG

New paint.

IMGP1730.JPG

IMGP1728.JPG

IMGP1727.JPG

IMGP1726.JPG

Rack and suspension removed.

IMGP1740.JPG
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.