Skip navigation

Definitive 2.0l 8v conversion list

Back to the top

Definitive 2.0l 8v conversion list

there are 2 reasons for changing the head, the main one is so you can re-use the old engine managment and so dont have to adapt the mk3 injection system.  The reason is the inlet port design is totally different, once you compare side by side you'll see straight away!

the other is the myth that '1.8 heads flow better' which has been debunked. the head castings are actually very similar apart from the port design, the reason this came about I suspect is due to gains seen which were actually down to removing the CAT, and/or the official VW power figures being pretty conservative.

clearance wise if you stick to oem manifold and downpipe you will usually be fine, but aftermarket 4 branch systems will usually hit the rack/body as the mk3 2.0 lumps are taller.

rough cost will depend on your luck and skills finding bargains. I got a 2.0 8v for £40, a 16v box for 50, clutch for 30 odd and then it was just the costs of belts and gaskets on top :)Loads of info out there on what the DVLA needs to accept the larger engine on the V5, get searching :)

Last edit: by rubjonny

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

there are 2 reasons for changing the head, the main one is so you can re-use the old engine managment and so dont have to adapt the mk3 injection system.  The reason is the inlet port design is totally different, once you compare side by side you'll see straight away!

the other is the myth that '1.8 heads flow better' which has been debunked. the head castings are actually very similar apart from the port design, the reason this came about I suspect is due to gains seen which were actually down to removing the CAT, and/or the official VW power figures being pretty conservative.

clearance wise if you stick to oem manifold and downpipe you will usually be fine, but aftermarket 4 branch systems will usually hit the rack/body as the mk3 2.0 lumps are taller.

rough cost will depend on your luck and skills finding bargains. I got a 2.0 8v for £40, a 16v box for 50, clutch for 30 odd and then it was just the costs of belts and gaskets on top :)Loads of info out there on what the DVLA needs to accept the larger engine on the V5, get searching :)

Thanks for the reply,

The issue I have is that my car is a citi golf from SA which is 1.6i 100bhp and I doubt that head would fit the 2l block? I also already have a SS 4-2-1 manifold which I recently installed. I hear the short block is therefore my only option ADY? But I'm just a bit stumped as wat to do about the head. Would I meed to source a 1.8 head as well as the loom and ECU because then I may as well do the 1.8t 20v conversion 😫

👉2001 Citi Golf Sonic Edition 1.6i 100bhp👈

Back to the top
it may fit, depends on what generation of engines your 1.6 is based on. a pic may help us ID it, but if its same./similar to a euro 1.6 GTI engine then yes as you say, its no good on a 2.0 8v block.

short block 2.0 8v are harder to come by, you're looking for 3A code blocks found in Audis, no idea if those were even available over there? The ADY is a tall block from later mk3 2.0

if your engine is running a similar kjet system to a euro GTI then it will be fine to run a 2.0, you'll just need to tweak the idle and co mixture a bit. a mk2 16v WUR could help supply extra fuel if required.  Then you would need a 1.8 kjet GTI head, or a digifant GTI head and swap kjet injector inserts into it

Back to the top
Ok,

So after having a chat to a friend in SA he tells me my ECU is a MP9 which will apparently work with the 2l 8v head no problem. I will just need to remap or load the 2l map for the right fuel and air mixture apparently…… Sounds to easy.
My engine code is AFX which is apparently part of the polo range in SA. My car already has a 210mm flywheel and sachs clutch which I recently installed. There's the pic of the manifold I bought of eBay and fits my current 1.6 8v and I'd like to use it on the 2l if possible. Any thoughts on this or am I way off?

image.jpg image.jpg

Back to the top
More pictures, is there a limit on pictures here? image.jpg image.jpg

Back to the top
thats definitely big block based that one, the head will almost certainly bolt up but you'll want to check the cylinder head combustion chambers are ok.  you'll have to split the head from the block to see though…

might be better to find some SA VW forums, they'll certainly know a lot more about that strange little engine you have there!

whats the engine code on this one? I might be able to cross-reference pistons/crank/conrods vs euro engines to give more of an idea how similar it actually is

Back to the top

rubjonny said

thats definitely big block based that one, the head will almost certainly bolt up but you'll want to check the cylinder head combustion chambers are ok.  you'll have to split the head from the block to see though…

might be better to find some SA VW forums, they'll certainly know a lot more about that strange little engine you have there!

whats the engine code on this one? I might be able to cross-reference pistons/crank/conrods vs euro engines to give more of an idea how similar it actually is

Engine code is AFX, so what would I be checking in the combustion chamber? 

Yeah busy reading up on the SA forums aswell. I think the sa engines have always been the "big block" engines not sure if the climate has anything to do with it.

Back to the top
ok done some searching, crank, conrods and piston rings are same as normal 1.8 mk2 golf ones, head gasket is same as later mk3 1.8, camshaft & vlaves are same as mk3 gti. only the pistons seem to be special :)

HP is 100 which is pretty good for a big block 1.6, so chances are good that the head is compatible :)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

ok done some searching, crank, conrods and piston rings are same as normal 1.8 mk2 golf ones, head gasket is same as later mk3 1.8, camshaft & vlaves are same as mk3 gti. only the pistons seem to be special :)

HP is 100 which is pretty good for a big block 1.6, so chances are good that the head is compatible :)

rubjonny said

Cool thanks so if had to just swap the blocks I should be sorted! 
The valves were lapped just over a year ago but I don't think the head has had any other work done to it. 

To be fair it's pretty nippy and the engine doesn't skip a beat.

Thanks for the help 👍

Back to the top
Rubjonny,

What you think on the block then if mine the "big block"? Which engine code you think would suit best?

Cheers
Lee

Back to the top
for the 2.0 bottom end? any will do you, but if you want to keep the 1.6 ecu then you will probably need a 2E code distributor as the later ones are only used as cam position reference, with just 1 trigger window inside the dizzy.

yours is probably a 4 trigger window type, but you may want to check.  sometimes you can even pull the trigger window out of the 1.8 dizzy and swap it to the 2.0 version so thats worth a try :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.