Skip navigation

MK1 GOLF Power steering for £40 :)

Back to the top

MK1 GOLF Power steering for £40 :)

as for the silver unit with the 2 vacumn lines i think that is an idle-up valve to stop the engine stalling on full lock, i just break off the housing and thread it back in, mine is K04 and it clears fine

Inaris silver series 1. APX 1.8T REVO software, hybrid O2J/O2S 6 speed, peloquin diff, cabrio drives, toyota pas, 7.5x16 5X100 compomotive mo flatspokes, G60 ABS, 305 brembos octy vrs rears, coilovers and arb's by H&R

Back to the top
Ronan, it definitely the starlet, as the rack I bought wasn't quite as good as the seller had suggested.  I bought a new one from Toyota.  The fitter made little brackets almost exactly like yours, but out of a solid piece of aluminium.  I did enjoy the power steering on the Mk1 and it proved invaluable with the slow speed manoeuvres in car parks etc, but the sliding about in the wet just got too much.  The car is straight too, no signs whatsoever of any crash damage, all panels are original etc. (i.e. the cars not twisted)

This is the rack as it's lying, removed from car.  The install wasn't as good as your work, we had a bit of a notchy UJ, but otherwise I was happy with it, until the larger power had me losing traction. I came to this conclusion after having the four wheel alignment set up, which was near factory perfect (when wheel were straight) and still slipped out when turning.

try this for the link to the earlier thread: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=technical%2Frunning-gear_2%2Flimited-grip-slippy   or    this?
Posted 04 November 2014, 7:44 PM #1451309

Back to the top

Matt said

the starlet track rod ends are the same profile as the vw ones so i put those back in and as much as they are the same profile they are a little longer so on the top you get a few mm gap from the arm to the rubber dust seal (not big deal in my opinion) and at the bottom where you bolt it in with the castle nut i had to put a washer onto it just so that the whole in the track rod end was in line with the castelations on the nut to put the spilt pin through as for pipe work i used the starlet pressure pipe which is long enough if you run it around the left side of the bay (engine cambelt end) and the banjo fitting is the right size for the vw PAS pump  then i brought some hose from halfrauds as a return from pump to resavoir run around the right hand side of the bay to a mk2 bottle then back to the rack, i'll post a pic now engine is back out, finally fired up the engine and test drove it and its as sweet as a nut ….. Matt-

just to add that i missed out on is when you make the braket to mount it onto your bulkhead you then use the starlet rubber mounts and the starlet metal u brackets as the vw one don't fit around the fatter starlet rack and if you think that when doing a 16v conversion the downpipes are close to the original rack then this is obviously the same so make sure you heatwrap them and also, and this for some reason really did shock me is that although i had to make the bracket for the rod change bigger to fit around the starlet rack which in effect was pushing the whole rod change mechanism forward 15mm my gear change is still perfect and needed no alterations what so ever .. bonus !!! so there you go a fully working power steering conversion for your beloved mk1 that cost me a whole £40 Matt
Matt, I am in the process of swapping a 1Z engine (from a 98 golf MK3) into my MK1 1.6D. Do you  know if i can use the power steering pump on the 1Z engine and combine with the starlet rack ?

Back to the top
aye it'll work, the mk3 pumps are the same spec as the mk2 ones just different offset on the pulley to clear the wider ribbed mk3 alternator belt

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Have to think about that jon??  nearly 8 months.

Back to the top
random, I got an email telling me about the reply this morning :lol:

Back to the top

rubjonny said

random, I got an email telling me about the reply this morning :lol:
 strange that I got the email this morning also O_o

Back to the top
maybe the mods forgot to put a stamp on it

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.