Skip navigation

Autoglym paint renovator

Back to the top

Autoglym paint renovator

Hi

Has anyone used this product ?

It won the auto express product test and I just used a wee bit on the top of my red sportline front wing this morning and it looked like it done a great job of taking 20 years of tiny scratches out.

I just always worry when you see the red on your cloth that I am doing the paint more damage than good  :dontknow:

Any feedback would be greatly received  :)

Cheers Chris

Back to the top
Chris

Yes I've used it… great stuff.

Brings back the true colour… it has a small abrasive in it but finishes the paint with a polished look.

Should also consider autoglym super resin polish - that's great stuff too - it has a cleaner, polish and sealant all in one.

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
Cheers Hugh

I was just worried about doing permanent damage to the paint.

I have the super resin polish as well but I have never used it as I use harly wax and then turtle wax gloss coat, which are easy to use with no White residue onto the black bits.

I think when the weather is better but not sunny I will do the whole car with the renovator and then the super resin to seal it.

Hope your car is going well, I check your website a couple of times a week.

I am waiting for my samco coolant hoses to arrive and then it's back to the garage to get them fitted along with 2 gearbox/differential leaks sorted, osram night breaker bulbs fitted, car running a wee bit lumpy prob just after sitting for months but they can check it out for me when it is in and give it a pre mot as it needs a couple of new bushes etc.

Then who knows  :dontknow:

What's your plans for this year  :dontknow:

Chris

Back to the top
I had mine out from march 1st for a couple of short runs…

Presently the back axle is off for sand blasting and primer, stripped off the exhaust to get at the petrol tank, fuel filler and puel pump. My tank was rotten with rust (prob got another six months before holes were to develop). I bought a H&R anti roll bar kit (front and back) in jan sales… replacing all bushes and clamps… so a bit to do!

Going to paint my wishbones too…

Hopefully back on the road by next weekend…  :dontknow:

Petrol tank hope to have it on monday but stuff ordered from cq won't be till tue/wed… Paddy's day thurs and off work on friday… all done for sat???  :wink:

All go this end… Have been taking a few pics as I go so keep an eye to the site…  :lol:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Hugh

There is so much I want to do but my prob is I need to pay someone to fit things as well and missis is not too understanding.

I have got the prices for the same h&r suspension and Anti roll bars that I think you have but serious money even without the fitting, so they are on my wish list for later.

Was considering poly bushings all round too but not cheap again it is the fitting that kills it for me.

Apart from new head unit and better alarm sometime, I was thinking about getting a new radiator, refurbed fan housing from cq, new fan, stainless radiator supports and top cover all when my samcos go on but running it past Shona, you should see the look I get  :evil:

Never mind the refurbed and powder coated rocker cover and mohair roof.

I will get there but it will take time but I want it all done now  :(

Mr impatient Chris

Back to the top
Autoglym paint renovator is  very abrasive  and can also leave some very fine micro marring . if the paints not too bad i would just go for srp , egp and 2 layers of harly wax .

www.archwayvaleting.co.uk

Back to the top
Cheers alfo

The paint is in good nick, it's just the usual fine scratches, I have put the third coat of harly on it and poss will try your way first when I get a chance with the weather and then might try the renovator on a more inconspicuous place first and see how it goes

Cheers Chris

Back to the top
As said above it can marr the paintwork if it's not used correctly.

You will need to make sure the product completely breaks down.

Stuff like super resin polish is good but it contains loads of fillers that hide swirl marks and scratches but will wash off once you wash it a few times or if it rains.

If the paintwork is good then just use normal polish and wax.

To prevent any further marks make sure your washing process is good.

Use the 2 bucket method and pat dry with a good drying towel.

I had my old car machine polished and it was still completely swirl free 2 years down the line.

Ceri.

Back to the top

BigNormRivage said

I had my old car machine polished and it was still completely swirl free 2 years down the line.

I think a machine polish is the only way to go… gets rid of the paint swirls and lets you start from fresh agiain…

Another task to undertake!  :wink:

Take your time with that car Chris… you will end up with nothing to do…!  :dontknow:

Only drive it of course! You coming to Ireland this summer?

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Yeah that's right Hugh.

There's only so much you can do by hand.

I couldn't beleive the difference when I had my old car back.

Back to the top

Shughy said

BigNormRivage said

I think a machine polish is the only way to go… gets rid of the paint swirls and lets you start from fresh agiain…

Another task to undertake!  :wink:

Take your time with that car Chris… you will end up with nothing to do…!  :dontknow:

Only drive it of course! You coming to Ireland this summer?

Hugh I have a wedding in county Kildare In September so hopefully be going over for that and I will consider driving the wee car over and give you a visit if I can.

If I don't drive I will still try and visit you if poss  :D

Back to the top
Excellent - only about an hour from Kildare. More than welcome to visit, be good to meet up  :wink:

Be even better to see that sportline in the flesh…   8O

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Try using the gloss protector after the resin polish guys, You should get a bit longer between polishing.

M/C polishing will leave residue everywhere is not done right.

I've had good results with the paint renovator so far, white car, so hides any swirls.

Only thing is I don't really care too much about the paint, its had a half decent respray sometime in it's life and other bits are painted with rattle cans. just a matter of keeping it looking ok.

As for having to pay someone to fit bits to a mk1 cab, madness, it's half the fun getting your hands dirty.

I'd buy new wishbones if your going down the polybush route as you can just push them in and wack 'em on the car!

Projekt Frustration :

White 1991 Clipper. Lowered over polished zender rims, Single 40 dellorto on lynx manifold, kent cam, full stainless 'zorst / manifold, powerflex bushed and braced. Not the fastest car, but sounds super nice!

Still going after 12 years… never said it was a quick fix! Time is not my friend.

Back to the top

Shughy said

Excellent - only about an hour from Kildare. More than welcome to visit, be good to meet up  :wink:

Be even better to see that sportline in the flesh…   8O

Might take you up on the offer depends if we have the kids with us or someone looking after them back home. Will get in touch with you when we work it out   :)

Chris

Back to the top
Chris H

I don't mind getting my hands dirty I am a scaffolded after all, it is just a confidence thing as I have no mechanical savvy at all, I will graft all day unto my armpits in grime it's just I don't want to break,damage or ruin everything that I touch.

I am getting better though so 1 step at a time  :wink:

Cheers chris

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Chris H

I don't mind getting my hands dirty I am a scaffolded after all, it is just a confidence thing as I have no mechanical savvy at all, I will graft all day unto my armpits in grime it's just I don't want to break,damage or ruin everything that I touch.

I am getting better though so 1 step at a time  :wink:

Cheers chris
Didn't mean any offense dude….

I have been taking cars to bits since before I passed my test.

I have done every aspect of my car at home, and the only time I have had help was with the cam swop.

You just got to get in and give it a go. Swopping the suspension is not that hard, just need a boat load of WD40 + some decent tools.

I couldn't have done anything like the amount of work done so far if labour was involved.

Good luck with the car dude.

Projekt Frustration :

White 1991 Clipper. Lowered over polished zender rims, Single 40 dellorto on lynx manifold, kent cam, full stainless 'zorst / manifold, powerflex bushed and braced. Not the fastest car, but sounds super nice!

Still going after 12 years… never said it was a quick fix! Time is not my friend.

Back to the top
Chris H

There was no offense taken mate  :D

I would be the same as you if I could do it all myself I could use the money I spend at the garage on so many other things for the car  :(

I have a double garage so I have the space, I need more tools and bigger balls  :lol:

Overall my sportline is in great condition so all I am doing is trying to sort the wee bits out and upgrade as much as I can without ruining the look.

The garage I use do cash jobs and mates rates so it's not full price rip off stuff  :wink:

I was just about to get a new rad, rad housing and fan to go with my red samco hoses that I have already ordered, so with your nudge, I might now try and fit them all myself   :cry: I will just take a few photos first in case I forget how it all goes back together :redfaced:

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

I was just about to get a new rad, rad housing and fan to go with my red samco hoses that I have already ordered, so with your nudge, I might now try and fit them all myself   :cry: I will just take a few photos first in case I forget how it all goes back together :redfaced:

I did this upgrade… if you need any help drop me a mail.

Will need new clips and some coolant… I got the Vw stuff - g12… keep it all original. I counldn't get a vw rad so used a no genuine one from my local motor factors - works fine.

Do you have a haynes manual?

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Hugh

I have a Haynes and once I get the funds together I will pm you.

Watching a lot of things on ebay for it incl the radiator, rad to expansion tank hose, either samco or normal and the rad cowling refurbed from CQ.

Will be in touch

Chris

Back to the top
Chris.

Should be a fairly easy job, but I'd allow a weekend to do it all.

There is a sticky on changing the thermostat on the sit, this will help with draining and refilling the system. Depending on how old your thermostat is, then it may be a good time to fit a new one.

You will need a full set of hose clips in stainless to go with your new hoses, the factory ones are a pain to get off, never tried to refit them myself.

I have the stainless red mounts fitted (found on ebay) look nice, worth getting some nice cap head stainless bolts to finish the job off.

I have binned most of my factory cooling now, running a top fill rad + reverse mounted cooling fan.

Good luck if you do dive in, best thing about doing things at home is you and clean up any mess you find, the garage won't do that!!

Projekt Frustration :

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.