Skip navigation

What size wheels do I choose?

Back to the top

What size wheels do I choose?

Maybe running without tyres?? lol

Projekt Frustration :

White 1991 Clipper. Lowered over polished zender rims, Single 40 dellorto on lynx manifold, kent cam, full stainless 'zorst / manifold, powerflex bushed and braced. Not the fastest car, but sounds super nice!

Still going after 12 years… never said it was a quick fix! Time is not my friend.

Back to the top

chris-h said

I Think a lot of the clearence issues with coilovers is down to how low you run them.

Certainly not the case with mine, even if I'd run them jacked up as high as possible the tyre would still have been hard up against the spring. Clearance on the arch is helped by running higher though obviously.

Back to the top
Hi guys. Quick update…
Finally upgraded my alloys for 16s and they fit perfectly. No rubbing on the coilovers, no rubbing on the arches (had to stiffen up the suspension slightly and roll the arches this weekend.

Put 10mm spacers on the front in order to clear the calipers and 20mm spacers on the rear to beef up the stance.
Wheels are 16" lenso bsx et35 7.5j with 195/40/16 yokahamas.

Going to drop it another inch or so this week, should look even better.
If anyone needs wheels and Tyres and amazing service, speak to Justin at topgear in bridport. Couldn't do enough to help with the fitting. So good I'm getting my new exhaust this week from them!

Before:

After:

Thanks for all your advice.
Hope this helps anyone else looking to put 16s on their mk1. It can be done!

Mk1 Gti Cabby project on the go! Detailed engine, roof off, leather interior, 16's, painted, now getting put back together!

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=103263&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Back to the top
Love this! Making me miss even more! What's happened to the gearbox!? Fraser

1990 1.8 GTi Wolfsburg Cab
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.