Skip navigation

'Shocks & Springs' Vs 'Coilovers' - S&S Win!

Back to the top

'Shocks & Springs' Vs 'Coilovers' - S&S Win!

There are alot of family members on here, can i ask if you have the fully loaded each day with these?
I had the standard gti kit from gsf a few year back approx 200 and i hated it  as mine is a daily wife and 2 growing lads, so went back to standard which i do love the smoothness but miss the look of lowered very slighty and miss the straight runs on motorways as it felt great.
Pete  :wink:

Back to the top
Can't remember exactly but it was just over £200 including VAT.  I think the list price was around £250ish.

I can't really compare it to the original ride because as previously stated, all four shocks were leaking and were very spongy so I didn't get a true representation.  That plus it being a floppy top made for some interesting handling.  Its now quite firm, but not crashy or bouncy.  Obviously its all subjective so for someone who has tried lots of different suspension set-ups, they may not like it, but for me, its the first set up I tried and I love it.

Here's a before and after pic of the differing spring lengths.

The black original ones will be up for sale soon, they are only 10 months old and did about 400 miles in that time.

1981 MkI Golf Cabrio

Back to the top
I don't really have a daily as I ride a single speed road bike  to work and the diesel mkiv is the workhorse so the cabby is the fair weather Sunday play thing.

1981 MkI Golf Cabrio

Back to the top
Helpful thread  :)

1983 VW Golf Mk1 Gti

2006 VW Caddy

My Build Thread 

Back to the top
This is a good helpful thread but I'd love to be able to see the photos to see the difference.

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.

Back to the top
Know what you mean! I'm so confused over Shocks and springs or coilovers!

1983 VW Golf Mk1 Gti

2006 VW Caddy

My Build Thread 

Back to the top
I'll try and find the original pics and repost the links…they're all on an old computer so It won't be until tonight or tomorrow morning though!

I was thinking, I SORN'd my cabby after the summer last year, and have just been thinking of putting her back on the road when this thread was resurrected!  How strange!

1981 MkI Golf Cabrio

Back to the top
I can't remember which photos I had up, and think I might have deleted some, but these give you a good idea;

Spring length difference:

Side view with the car looking rather sorry for itself:

Close up of arch gap prior to suspension change:

After suspension change:

1981 MkI Golf Cabrio

Back to the top
Cheers for the pics mate, if that's a 30mm drop that looks perfect.

1983 VW Golf Mk1 Gti

2006 VW Caddy

My Build Thread 

Back to the top
A 30mm drop looks perfect.

If you lift the car up at the back like they do in mot are the rear springs loose? Apparently that's an mot fail now.

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.