Skip navigation

82 mars red GTI

Back to the top

The little GTI, 82 mars red mk1

sp8y said

Cheers Andy :), this should be getting dipped when yours goes to the body shop!

Nice, not long now then!! :ocf_emoticons__eusa_dance:

Back to the top
Been going around the body checking it, quite a few bits that I've missed nothing too major, so just putting them right atm.

BUT the bad news is on closer inspection the 'repaired' boot floor and rear panel aren't actually that good, I could have done better! The boot floor has warped and now looks a total mess and the new rear panel is now dented and also looks a bit of a mess. To top it off the rear of the chassis legs that needed repairing (one of which I supplied a new one for) hasn't even been touched!! In the photo I put up a few weeks back it doesn't look look bad other than it dips down in the middle which I wasn't happy with. I asked for this to be put right but instead it ended up worse. Think I may wait a bit longer on the dipping and get this all sorted first.
:ocf_emoticons__BangHead::ocf_emoticons__BangHead::ocf_emoticon
s__BangHead::ocf_emoticons__BangHead::ocf_emoticons__BangHead::o
cf_emoticons__BangHead::ocf_emoticons__BangHead::ocf_emoticons_
_BangHead::ocf_emoticons__BangHead:.

One thing they did do right though was the clutch repair.

So anyhow I've finished the top of the scuttle and tried the rain tray with seal on to check it all fits right, which it does so thats another thing done.

Welded up the unneeded hole in the new arch tub I had fitted and cut a hole for the fuel pipes to run through and made a new fuel pump bracket which will be fitted shortly.

Picked up some new stuff from MIVW, rear glass seal, rear side window seals, door 1/4 glass seals and a pair of new door striker pins (since the bodyshop lost one of mine + a wheel nut :evil: )

Some progress pics too-
Clutch repair

New fuel pump bracket that I made-

Work to new arch tub-

Scuttle repair-

Back to the top
Good to meet you at MIVW - huge show that was!

Keep up the good work!

Back to the top
Ref your arch tub, was it one from VW Heritage? I'm having a nightmare trying to get mine to fit so curious how yours was?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Cheers Yomp, yes was good to meet you too, show was massive!

Hairyarse- I bought it from someone on here a ages ago, I think it is from heritage though.
I'd like to say I fitted it but the body shop did it. They did say though that the bit where it meets the raised section of the floor (the bit that the bumper bolts to) that it was a different shape from the original one. Also I didn't have the full thing put in so the back bit that goes to the rear panel is the original one (was a different shape and had the washer bottle holder on it) as I wanted it too look original I wanted this keeping looking like it was. Sorry I'm of no help. :|.

Got my head back from the skim, can't wait to get it back together and on the block. :)

Back to the top
No worries, that end of mine fits ok, it's the other end that I'm struggling with

Cheers anyway ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
It seem I have forgotten to update this for quite some time :lol:.

I discovered that when the 'body shop' put the drives sill on they didn't bother repairing any of the rusty inner sill, so I've fix that now, managed to repair it without taking the outer sill off. While I was fixing the inner sill I fitted the fuel pump bracket too. Since then I've got the rotbox booked in at RetroPower for the 12th of April, which was the soonest they had. Means theres no way of it being done for Worthersee or the AGM but would rather wait longer for it to be right. I went for a look around at RetroPower a few months ago and looks miles better than the other place, So hopefully they'll be able to put it right.

Got the Head back from its skim and have rebuilt it with new springs, valve stem oil seals, new injector seats and new exhort manifold studs and nuts. The heads now been fitted to the block and I'm slowly working through all the bits to get it all the engine back together again.

Bought some mk4 rear calipers, mk2 golf 16v front caliper, Supersprint 4 branch and a Bonrath power rohr for it.

Most of the bit I was going to have powder coated I've decided to paint with POR15 as I've got a spare full tin. Was going to seam weld the wishbones but then discovered the previous owner had done for me :).

Modified my inlet manifold to allow the Audi throttle body to open fully.

And lastly Got hold of a good boot floor to sort mine out.

Back to the top
Nice work and the engine looks spanking!  :cool:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Back to the top
Where did you get the boot floor from matey. Looks familiar.  :ninja:

Back to the top
Nice work on the engine sp8y, looks absolutely mint!! :wub:

Back to the top
Thanks Andy!

It will do smudger :lol:I got it from Simon, saw your mk1 there too, very nice :thumbs:.

Back to the top

sp8y said

Thanks Andy!

It will do smudger :lol:I got it from Simon, saw your mk1 there too, very nice :thumbs:.

:lol: thought it was from Simons. Were you there chatting all day? He'd chat the hind legs off a donkey that man ;)

That's a good shell you've got there mate. :)

Smudger

Back to the top
:lol:No, only a for a couple of hours.

Back to the top

sp8y said

:lol:No, only a for a couple of hours.

You got off lightly  :lol:  :lol:  ;)

Back to the top
:lol::lol::lol:

Back to the top

sp8y said

what a great sight to have in the garden, love it!!  :lol:

Back to the top
Looks like you could make a cool garden swing out of it :lol:

Back to the top

sp8y said

And lastly Got hold of a good boot floor to sort mine out.

will you be using all of the quaters?
i could use a little cut off that save wasting another.
i need the lower corner section of the driver side window opening closest to the drivers side door. :thumbs:

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Thought about putting in the rear bench in it and having it as a nice garden bench :lol:.

volkswarren- I'm not sure as of yet if I'll be needing them or not, so I can't say just yet, if I dont I'll let you know. Sent you a pt too!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.