Skip navigation

ABF golf 1.1c

Back to the top

ABF golf 1.1c

Thanks for all the good comments guys…  I have made some more progress over crimbo and the last month everything always takes longer than you think haha.. I was going to buy a 4 to 1 conversion manifold but turns out funds would not allow, so i ended buying a standard mk1 gti system and choped the mk3 manifold up and welded it to the mk1. I will prob buy a 4 to 1 in the future. once the engine the were in i reassembled the gear linkage all with new bushes, i still need to take a notch out of it as it is fowling the manifold..

I welded them  up first i also made a sleeve and welded that to so hoping no leaks ha..

The rest of the system fitted quite good

Started to bolt things back on the engine so i can start on the wiring loom.. As i was putting things back together i needed an air intake pipe so was searching  forums to see what other people done. In the end i decided to make my own, so i could fit the intake air sensor. Best material  for the job! Carbon fiber…
What i did was make the carbon tube first then bond the plastic bit off the air box to it.

All fitted up looks pretty god  hope it woks ha..

Next on to the loom….

Back to the top
Well done, wicked colour

Back to the top
Just read through all the thread - liking the way this I  turning out mate.

Really like like the green.

Back to the top
carbon tube is tidy!!!
i think you should make me a chin spoiler asap????

Back to the top

Cero said

Well done, wicked colour

Thanks should look even better when the trim is back on..

Raps3 said

Just read through all the thread - liking the way this I  turning out mate.

Really like like the green.

Cheers man hopeing to get it on the road buy summer.

albie said

carbon tube is tidy!!!
i think you should make me a chin spoiler asap????

haha.. it did come out quite good, should of wrapped it in carbon after i bonded the mk3 air box bit on tho..
ah well.. can make you a CL splitter..
Get yours down the mot center its only been 5 years!!! ha

Back to the top

Right O made some good progress this week / weekend..
I have been doing my loom all week after work, i striped them down of the outer wrap so i could chop out any thing i didn't need..
Was going to get someone in to do this but there is so much info on this thought i would give it a go. If i got stuck then ask for help ha. I read through loads of forums to get my head around it all. RJ has put up loads of info on other peoples threds which i followed, and the FAQ fuse box thred..
The mk3 loom looks quite scary but once i choped out the lighting loom it was not to bad. The good thing was i bought the whole car, so i labeled up everything before i took it out of the car. Helped no end the mk1 loom was quite basic.

I started to strip the mk3 loom down in my unit thought it was to cold so took it home..

mk3 loom striped of its outer tape

mk3 loom after i chopped out the lighting loom and some other bits i didn't need.

Labeled the wires up using the Fuse box FAQ

mk1 loom

So next step was to put it back in the car and route it then tape them together. Also start seeing where everything goes to the fuse box..

The mess

Taped together

Fuse box end

So then it was back out so i could solder things up, some wires were just mach the colours easy. Put spades on some, i had to wire in an ecu relay wasn't to tricky. I had the old car out front so i nicked one of the relay holders on top of the fuse box for that, give it more factory look. The mk1 was a 1.1 so i had no fuel pump, wasn't to sure on how they were wired in on the gti model so i added another relay on top of the fuse box for that to.
Also i ditched the mk3 coil and used a mk2 one instead, so i had to get hold of a tci unit. Lucky my mate had a spare one so i bought a plug from vw sorted.

Time to plug it in and see if it works then, got my head around how the relays are wired in. Bit of head scratching took me a little while haha..
Oil in, coolant in, oh dear one of the water pipes had split so leaking.  Will sort a new one next week.. Thought lets see if it turns over any way wont let it run to long,

Turns over sorted, it took a while but she fired up waaayyyyy.. Didn't let it run to long going to sort that coolant pipe out tomorrow….

Stoaked it started my loom work was ok haha    

Until tomorrow.

Back to the top

Purton said

Right O made some good progress this week / weekend..
I have been doing my loom all week after work, i striped them down of the outer wrap so i could chop out any thing i didn't need..
Was going to get someone in to do this but there is so much info on this thought i would give it a go. If i got stuck then ask for help ha. I read through loads of forums to get my head around it all. RJ has put up loads of info on other peoples threds which i followed, and the FAQ fuse box thred..
The mk3 loom looks quite scary but once i choped out the lighting loom it was not to bad. The good thing was i bought the whole car, so i labeled up everything before i took it out of the car. Helped no end the mk1 loom was quite basic.

I started to strip the mk3 loom down in my unit thought it was to cold so took it home..

mk3 loom striped of its outer tape

mk3 loom after i chopped out the lighting loom and some other bits i didn't need.

Labeled the wires up using the Fuse box FAQ

mk1 loom

So next step was to put it back in the car and route it then tape them together. Also start seeing where everything goes to the fuse box..

The mess

Taped together

Fuse box end

So then it was back out so i could solder things up, some wires were just mach the colours easy. Put spades on some, i had to wire in an ecu relay wasn't to tricky. I had the old car out front so i nicked one of the relay holders on top of the fuse box for that, give it more factory look. The mk1 was a 1.1 so i had no fuel pump, wasn't to sure on how they were wired in on the gti model so i added another relay on top of the fuse box for that to.
Also i ditched the mk3 coil and used a mk2 one instead, so i had to get hold of a tci unit. Lucky my mate had a spare one so i bought a plug from vw sorted.

Time to plug it in and see if it works then, got my head around how the relays are wired in. Bit of head scratching took me a little while haha..
Oil in, coolant in, oh dear one of the water pipes had split so leaking.  Will sort a new one next week.. Thought lets see if it turns over any way wont let it run to long,

Turns over sorted, it took a while but she fired up waaayyyyy.. Didn't let it run to long going to sort that coolant pipe out tomorrow….

Stoaked it started my loom work was ok haha    

Until tomorrow.

Well done, won't be long till its on the road , better get my ass movin then lol

Back to the top
Nice resto - love the colour  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Nice!

Back to the top

RoadBoss said

Nice!

Hi, I see your in the USA , what's the mk1 gti scene like over there? I bet the weathers great for using it everyday? 

Back to the top
Looking good man! Good info aswell, I'm planning on ABFing my driver soon, so its handy to see the pics of the mount and pump etc.
Also I see your in Swansea?

Back to the top

albie said

RoadBoss said

Nice!

Hi, I see your in the USA , what's the mk1 gti scene like over there? I bet the weathers great for using it everyday? 

Well its pretty mixed around the country.  So get them because they look cool and really don't do much to but add wheels and suspension and some like me put work in them to make them look complete and nice.

Back to the top
Ok so been a while since an update! Money has been holding me back a little but she is all up and running on the road…

There was a bit a of trouble trying to start her so changed the batt earth strap for the mk3 and sorted!

Some pics
Interior in

280mm brakes and adapters

Bumpers on

Our time was up in our unit so she was on the move again, lucky my girlfriends mum has a double garage I blagged her to let me use it..was going to drive it as it was only down the road but thought I better not.

Had to get rid of those tyres way to big so refurbed the wheels as well. Was not to keen on the white!

Friday night fun

All painted putting them back together! I ending up cleaning the old bolts and painting them black, couldn't afford new ha! Took me an age on the wire wheel to clean them tho!! Also the lips are slightly pitted but came out good I think!

New tyres on went for 185 45 15 trial fit!

First day in the rain

Also got hold of some early mk2 golf gti clocks as I didn't have a rev counter in mine!

Useing her in the sunshine

Back to the top

Ashlol said

Looking good man! Good info aswell, I'm planning on ABFing my driver soon, so its handy to see the pics of the mount and pump etc.
Also I see your in Swansea?

Sorry man I haven't been on here in a while! Yeah I'm in Swansea. Where about are you located?

Back to the top
Gorgeous colour mate and a nice update. You coming along to the AGM in her?

Back to the top

smudger said

Gorgeous colour mate and a nice update. You coming along to the AGM in her?

Cheers dude not sure yet couple of things I have to iron out first!

Back to the top
Fingers crossed for you dude. Hope to see you there :)

Back to the top
Love the colour  :wub: and great job. Whats left to do? Cant be far off?

Wanna Hug?

Back to the top
lovely car :wub:

what was the original colour?

Back to the top

HuggYBeaR said

Love the colour  :wub: and great job. Whats left to do? Cant be far off?

Thanks dude yeah not to much stater is shot so need to sort that heaters decided to stop working! Ha not that I need them right now! Interior needs a retrim or new seats!

browner01 said

lovely car :wub:

what was the original colour?

It was Gambian red. Was gonna do it pearl grey.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.