Skip navigation

84 Driver resto, KR turned AEB conversion

Back to the top

84 Driver resto, KR turned AEB conversion

So.. hello again :D no where as many pictures as there should be for the amount of time it's been :( but think it's about time i pull my head out my ass and crack on with it again.. this is what i have managed to do over the last few…. MONTH'S!! tut-tut

I suppose one of the first things i did was get the cam cover and inlet manifold powder coated and hamerited my alternator..

For some reason i had a panic about the port sizes on my exhaust manifold but they where plenty big enough so re-mounted with new bolts..

Then i got my hands on a set of carbon/kevlar seats cheap, pretty tatty so will be re clothing.. marly seemed to take a shine to em!

Erm.. then i think i went about making a set of sump baffles, there not the best fit but better than nothing..

I found the first bit of rust to apear… on a new set conversion mounts from crazyquifs!! i knew i should of got them powder coated properly, but the rubber bush put me off… not very impressed really!

I'd got the bottle to start trying to plumb things in… i started off with an easy thing first, the oil cooler to sanwichplate..
took me a while to suss what pipe and fittings i needed but with some quality help/advice and the parts needed from Alex at Tourques(Thanx mate) it turned out quite a doddle, chopping with a sharp cold chissel insted of a grinder..

And i think that's where i'm up to at the min… i'm having trouble getting my head around plumbing for some reason?? maybe because i've been off the boil for a while? i had a VW mechanic come round for a chat and try and give me a basic A-B of things but i think he just confused his self with what i've done?? started asking more question than i was, lol.. but he did offer some advice :D
So if anyne can give me a laymans discription of the the plumbing it would be very appreciated :D I seem to have these flat patches in the build where i need to get my head round it all.. Untill next time :thumbup:

Back to the top
Just spent a few hours reading through all this mate. Really good build thread with some good info contained within, so thanks for that.

Gathering info for my own build. :)

Back to the top

Raps3 said

Just spent a few hours reading through all this mate. Really good build thread with some good info contained within, so thanks for that.

Gathering info for my own build. :)

Thanx for the kind word's :D i try and detail as much as poss… If there's anything you ever have queries about feel free to ask, i'm always happy to help… If i can, still learning myself! :lol:

Good luck with your build mate :D

Back to the top
Alright Shaun, just a quick one! How did you know to chop 10mm off of the m/c thread?

Cheers

Back to the top
Found it on the left in Technical ;)

Brake Upgrade

Back to the top
Hi Shaun,

Have you mounted the shifter tower yet mate? Im just deciding whether to somehow mount underneath the car, or mount inside and cut a hole into the engine bay for the cables.

Back to the top
Hi mate..

Na not mounted the tower yet.. it's all at abit of a stand still :(  will be mounting it inside when i get to it.. maybe on stilts so it sits higher??  just need to get everything in place in the bay so i 'm not drilling the shifter cables through in the way of something.. I also need to change my tower to a Lupo one as the cables fit better..

Back to the top
What colour is that? Looks familiar….

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top

ShaunyC said

Run out of paint and nuts so made a start cleaning the 02A Gearbox..

Nice work by the way! How did you get the box cleaned up? Mine was painted black and I've had to strip all the paint from it using a scraper and really course sandpaper. Bloody nightmare!

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top

Alfie said

What colour is that? Looks familiar….

Haha snap! British steel she is.. Nice looking motor you have :)

Alfie said

ShaunyC said

Run out of paint and nuts so made a start cleaning the 02A Gearbox..

Nice work by the way! How did you get the box cleaned up? Mine was painted black and I've had to strip all the paint from it using a scraper and really course sandpaper. Bloody nightmare!

Cheers bud :) I used a wallpaper steamer, lol.. no easy option with paint tho mate. bet it was aright pain in the ass!

Back to the top
Ok been a quite some time for an update… my excuse is getting scared off by a couple of probs and work life! pahh

So first wee prob was that alternator i painted went on but when i came to mount the throttle body it clashed..

So i took it in my wizzdom to grind some out..

Snug..

Got a shiney new radiator

Sexy..

Next prob in the fact that i dont know what i'm doing… was the coolant system.. analising vag cat diagrams for days i went and baught a agu system and solid pipe.. but what a waste of money.. i tried to crosspolinate AEB and AGU systems but pahhh

So after even more analising i decided to custom make the system.. this is the general design if you can understand it..

So armed with a box of bits..

I went about puting it to practise…
easiest way to chop em..

then what it looks like.. just got some 16mm pipe to add to matrix oil cooler and expansion when i mount it..

Then the biggest prob that ruined me… when i mounted the inlet mani the bolts just span :((not torque down)

So plan B was…

Helicoils.. which after drilling and tapping 'all' the holes realised the springs wouldnt go in… doh… the drill bit with the set was bent is my only excuse..

So plan C was…

Stepped studs.. Knowing this was my last chance before a new head i gingerly drilled and tapped 'one' hole with a tap i borrowed from the enginering place that made the bolts for me…. and guess what!?!? they never scewed in… nice one! the tap was slighty dammaged but thought he wouldnt of lent me it if it wouldnt work… haaa

So that was me downing tools on the project for quite some time.. until a week or so ago, where i confronted my fears with a brand new set of taps and drill bit.. gingerly doing one at a time, saving the buggerd thread till the end and trying to re cut it and it worked.. buzzing to bits… the studs needing grinding down to fit home but that at least made them all nip up tight with some thread lock…

A little task that kick started this motivation off, was to get the donar car off my drive thats been there 2 year! hahaha… my wirring looms had gone missing?? so rather than buy another mk1 loom, i went about getting the one out the A4… which was fun to say the least…. i tried my hardest to get it out in one piece to make life a little easier when sussing later…

The mess..

And to finish off with… something abit different.. i ordered a litle something from Grasshopper Drag in germany.. i rod change conversion for the 02A gearbox… come with good instructions.. which was in english and the stuff was top quality…

The first prob i had was where the relay lever mounted to the gearbox there was a big conversion mount in the way..

So off it came and some holes drilling… this was the worst part of the conversion

And it all looks a little something like this…

Like seeing shiny stuff going on! lol… but the prob i've got now is finding all the gears.. i wont moan though because i havent fiddled with it enough yet… but got a feeling its to do with the relay lever being over an inch…

Soo thats all folks lets see if i can keep the ball rolling now :)

Back to the top
Wow nice update Shauny mate. Lovely looking conversion taking shape now. :)

Best of luck with it dude.

Smudger

Back to the top
Glad you managed to sort the head out with out having to replace it.
Good to see you are still chipping away at the aeb conversion .I am doing the same it's interesting to see how everyone overcomes the problems  with fitting this engine.I am running golf 4 ko3 set up  the rest will be abf bits.

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top
Looking good Shaun, it's starting to take shape :thumbs:

Back to the top
Good evening guys and gals, can't belive its been so long, well I guess I can..

Not done alot over these years to her but its come to a crunch, mum's selling her house where this is stored so need to do something with it…

I don't know if I can bring myself to selling her and I'd prob be wanting more than she's worth..

I'm just in the process of getting some front wheels on her, and who knows once I get her back to mine I may rekindle the love again 🥰

Im thinking tho atm, although I would want too much hard cash for her I would accept a px I rek, it would feel more like I'm getting something out of it for letting her go..

So if you are or know of anyone who'd be looking for a project such as this and you have a T4/T5 you would like to exchange let me know…

Thanks for reading just sorry it wasn't a picture of a finished project after all these years 😢

Last edit: by ShaunyC

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.