Skip navigation

84 Driver resto, KR turned AEB conversion

Back to the top

84 Driver resto, KR turned AEB conversion

Lookin good and definitely a load of work going into this what compressor/ gun setup you using?

Back to the top
I am loving the work going into this vw and the speed you are doing it at :) keep up the great work and keep those updates coming.

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top
Thanx guy's and thanx for previous post's i forgot to thank off twotonealex and shim… my bad, :D

I'm using a 3hp compressor thats got a 50L tank and pumps out 7.17 cfm and using the pro 14C gun from machine mart..

Well din't quit get it done friday night… give it a good go tho half 3 to half 11, thought it was getting abit late for the noise but had half a cup of paint left,  thought i'd persist till neighbours moan, lol, but shortly after it stated splattering a lot, guess it was a sign, lol.

When I started the gun was playing up not giving a steady flow I thinned it right down cleaned and flushed every thing but no joy then it dawned on me I hadn't tightened the nozzle fully… school boy error I guess. The problem now was I p1ss wet paint. Got to admit in the end I was adding abit of what ever like a mad scientist because I was running low from my half a wasted cup, I only jst managed to scrape enough to get the job done by scooping it out tin with fingers, lol..
Anywayz here's some pics  :D

Back to the top
really enjoyed reading this, keep it up!

Back to the top
This thread alone has made me purchase several books and manuals from ebay about how to do this kind of stuff … I dont even have a garage, but this is looking amazing :D

Cant wait to see some more pictures

Dan

Back to the top
Thanx ppl :D realy appreciate that you enjoy reading this.. :D and i'm glad to hear i'v helped inspired you to get involved :D..

It's been a slow couple of week's not got a lot done..

I sourced a AGU manifold off fleebay, when I double checked the code it never match any anything VAG had on data base(06A 133 223 P ), but after some hair loss, lol, I offered it up and it looked right measured the ports and they matched and seller assured me it's off AGU.. I'll go with that :D

I'd also been scouring fleabay for gearbox and other parts for engine trile fit, with no such joy… I then had the brain wave of putting a post in classified wanted on here.. and within an hour i had 2 replies, :D I finally met up with the first seller (thanx Carletoff) who went and came out of there way, great lad :D

It's now going to be a case of sussing how it all bolts together and swing it in there.. :D

Hopefully some more/better pic's soon..

Back to the top
Are you changing other parts beside the inlet manifold ? as i looked into fitting a longitudal engine and i believe there is more to change to fit a transverse fitting, you may be very aware of this.

Back to the top
Thanx for your concern.. :D the only part's iv found to date that need changing  to transverse are both manifolds and the turbo. On the todo list., lol

Last couple of day's have been fun..?? :D

First move was to change the tensioner over, i'd gotten a  mk2 16v one but when I had it all in position the belt was a tooth out..?? The wheel was larger than automatic jobbie, so I mounted the original wheel only..

I'll be fitting lock washer's etc when it's all back out..

Now the cam belt engine mount which did just bolt on :D but I had to cut the plastic cowling down so it sat snug..

I mounted the gearbox end mount and my idea was to hover it all in place so I could suss where the front and back mount's go..

I did manage to get my crane open which I had doubts about. I raised the engine up the same as I got it out donor but it never went high enough while I looked pondering the dam thing slid down the boom and smashed front of the car.. !! :-(

So a little angrily I re-mounted on stand and came up with another plan of attack..

Finally got it lifted over the bay, then dropped it again to ad gearbox.

I got it bolted in the side mount's which was a little tight.. thought i'd buggered it up welding the mount over as a plate, lol.
I was arguing with my self that it looked the wrong angle but put it down to the front of the car being up..?? When I offered the front mount up it was angled high… so it was on the p1ss…

I'd stuck the rear mount on where I thought was right but obviously not.. I sussed the hole's it was ment to go in, but there was a long bolt going through I had to drill a hole for. Now the search was on for some short bolt's which nothing I had fitted..??? Strange as muck..?? I ended up fitting some new bit's of thread bar, etc, right pain..

Now she sat a bit better.. :D

Back to the top
Been a while.. too long for my liking.. think the 21st as gone out the window, lol. A lot of fact finding going on..

I went GTI inter the other week and come home with some bit's..

Got the servo  and intercooler off ebay.. and as usual the servo was not the type said in listing but I got free master cylinder, and the intercooler was a tad too big  for space.. nothing new there..

I chopped 10mm off the servo thread..

Got it mounted on the new bellcrank.. the bellcranck has 3x bearing pin's missing which are being a right pain to find.. Might have to buy another bellcrank.. :-(

Now.. i'd been eyeing up the intercooler for a few day's but never had rad and jumped to to the conclusion that the front bonnet support had to come out..

After i'd got a rad i was certain it had to come out.. wont a lot I could do other wise now anyway, lol. I made my mind up on design and got to work. The 2 outer top mounts sat awkward on slam panel so never made any hole's hopefully the middle one will offer enough support.. The set up is fully adjustable if I need to make alteration's..

Hopefully next update wont take as long.. :D

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

Are you changing other parts beside the inlet manifold ? as i looked into fitting a longitudal engine and i believe there is more to change to fit a transverse fitting, you may be very aware of this.

Other parts that need to be swapped

sump and oilpump pick up ,good time to change to a steel sump .

oil filter bracket  

Alternator bracket and possibly the alternator.

More info here
Web Page Name

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top
Hi mark, yea i found that thread after hour's of searching, which had all my answers in and more, lol, i'm now on CGTI too. Why you mention steel sump..?? i was aiming for a 1.6 td one not sure which years tho.. 1.9 td filter asembely and hoping to not change alternator stuff as i'v started  polishing it, lol..

Thanx Shaun

Back to the top

ShaunyC said

Hi mark, yea i found that thread after hour's of searching, which had all my answers in and more, lol, i'm now on CGTI too. Why you mention steel sump..?? i was aiming for a 1.6 td one not sure which years tho.. 1.9 td filter asembely and hoping to not change alternator stuff as i'v started  polishing it, lol..

Thanx Shaun

Forward me this link please  :mrgreen:

Shaun… Did you have any issues with the exhaust manifold and k03 turbo fitting with inadequate spacing?

I have fitted the ABF Sump and ABF oil pick up pipe today. Just need to drill the sump for the oil return line.

Great Work matey  8)

Back to the top
Thanx Gary :D

I havent got round to fitting the turbo etc yet.. i'm planning on changing everything to transverse  ie turbo, manifold and getting a conversion down pipe from Qpeg with abit of heat tape as it runs close to steering CV.. Here's the link for AEB fitting list http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191354..
I'v bought a 1.6td sump which has the oil return already there, not sure what return pipe to use tho.??
HTH :D

Back to the top
Cheers matey

I would have thought the agu oil return would be fine, assuming the postion of the boss on the 1.6td sump to the 1.8t sump is similar.

Not sure what the turbo config is on the 1.6td. I'm using the AEB line and drilling the sump

Keep up the good work, ill let you know how the loom goes  :banghead:

:mrgreen:

Back to the top
Good thread man!

Back to the top
Cheer's DanChave :D

Yea hopefully AGU return pipe will work..?? suppose i'll cross that bridge when i get to it, lol.
Good luck with loom Gary, :? you using OEM ecu etc.?? i'm imagining it as a garnish for a main meal, haha..

Just thought i'd give a little up date as it's been quite a while again.. Alot of reasearch for part's, which have been coming through in drip's and drab's.. But the bay is nearly ready to get stripped again, i think.??

How far  do i take a trial fit..??
I think i'v sussed the bit's I wanted to know how bolts together, i.e. engine/gearbox mount's, gear linkages, intercooler etc i'm guessing the turbo just bolt's where it has to go.? lol

Any view's on anything else i should trial fit..??

Another thing i'v been thinking about is where do pipe's, wire's etc go through bulkhead..??

A = Matrix .?
B = Electric's .?
C = Brake and fuel lines .??

Once i get every thing out i'll get some better pic's up of all the random part's i'v used..

Back to the top

Back to the top
Thanx Foxy :D

Forgot to mention.. I'm running braided brake and fuel line's on the inside of the car.. is it a case of drilling the bulkhead were ever suit's best..?? I'v since realised what i was planning for holes C wont work going through the big square hole as matrix/blower sit's there..

Back to the top

foxymk1 said

a, heater matrix
b, 2big holes wires for loom
c, ?

nice work pal

a - yup
b - yup
c - same as b - normally the loom feeds back on itself where the ecu would sit inside. You should see two small tiny holes on the rain tray where the ecu fixes. Maybe the water jet line feeds through here and possbily electrics for the motor also.

Great Work matey and yeah im using OEM for now. The idea is to get the car running and fault codes cleared before i go omex/emerald.

Back to the top
Hows the install going along Shaun? Stuck anywhere yet?  :D

Whoever said the AEB is straight forward swap will stand corrected. rofl :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.