Skip navigation

MK1 Steel Chromed Bumpers

Back to the top

MK1 Steel Chromed Bumpers

By the end of play next week I should be ready to go to production. (providing my parts arrive on time)

Stay tuned

Back to the top
Very excited OEM, any idea of prices yet?

Back to the top
awesome awesome awesome. Can't wait for these.

Back to the top

vdubber2 said

awesome awesome awesome. Can't wait for these.

Same, as above also any idea of price?

Alex

Back to the top
At this point, I don't to be honest.  Obviously I know what price we would be paying on BBT's and other sites.

As I said before, this isn't going to be a money making exercise as such.  Once I have the design down, and produced a one off set, I will fit them to my Golf and take pictures.

Following that, I will start a fresh thread and post up the pictures.  I will ask that everybody interested PM's me so I can get an idea of volumes.  The more you want, the cheaper it is!

I am also working on some other products, but more about that later.

Stay tuned

Back to the top
count me in if the price is rite, do they come complete with brackets end caps etc….

out of interest how much do these bumpers go for, and where else are they up for grabs?

Back to the top
You can buy the bumpers from a few places and they sell the end caps and mounts in addition to.  You can pick them up with ease and due to the way in which they are manufactured, I would suggest you buy original parts.

The bumpers I am making are designed, and tested with the original parts.

Back to the top

OEM_Dub said

You can buy the bumpers from a few places and they sell the end caps and mounts in addition to.  You can pick them up with ease and due to the way in which they are manufactured, I would suggest you buy original parts.

do you know when yours would be ready, and a rough guide price

Back to the top

Back to the top

16vseries1 said

OEM_Dub said

do you know when yours would be ready, and a rough guide price

Hi,

See previous thread on the price, and I am working as fast as I can to get the first set done

Back to the top
update people

I tried to fit a set of chromes to my golf last night to understand the installation.

It turns out removing the bumper brackets 'could' be tricky for some of you.  Luckily my golf was dry stored for ten years of its life so most of the fixings are pretty fresh.  I had no trouble removing the bumper bracket from the car, but removing them from the bumper was a challenge.  

The fixings that hold the bracket to the bumper are easily to get to, only the type of fixing is prone to seizure.  I spent an hour trying to remove one bolt, and gave it.  The bolt was seized, then started to spin.  

Long story short, I have brought a brand new bumper bracket.  It cost £28 for just the one (cry).

Considering how simple the bracket is, I will make a set up and sell them with the bumpers.  I am not sure if they will be included in the price of the bumpers, or sold on their own. (depends on cost)

It will make the install much easier for you, and you will be able to just get on with it instead of ordering extra parts.

Back to the top
legend legend leg end! I'm litterally peeing myself with excitement about these.

Back to the top
Any developments?

Back to the top
I b interested..!!  :D

Back to the top
Count me in dependent on price. Would be easier if the brackets were sold with the bumpers mate.

Nice one.

1980 Series 1 GTI (gone now .. what a mistake selling her!)
1979 Series 1 LD - the Mandarin Dragon … gone as well. oh dear.

Back to the top
Any developments yet mate?

Back to the top
It's all gone quiet :(

Back to the top
im sure hes quite busy atm

Back to the top
I'll stick my hat in the ring for some, if the price is amezzin.

1981 MkI Golf Cabrio

Back to the top
hi
these bumpers would be a brilliant, if you can get them done.
i have a set of original chrome bumpers and i tried to get them copied a few years back,so i could have a set on each of my golfs and a spare set and a couple to sell to fund the ones i had made. :D
I have metal fabricator/engineers next door to were i work, i asked the lads in there, (who i get stuff done cheap) to do these bumpers and they wernt interested :o  they could do the rear bumper ok but the front were it has the slight curve they said would need the original press and to top it off (including bumper irons) would be expensive, cheaper than new, but only just.
This was also not including the chrome, which was at the time (around 3 years ago) £110 per bumper 8O  and thats with heritage chome of colchester.
If you can get these done cheap (with the chrome and the irons) i will have a set but i would want the curve in the front bumper so it matches the set i have :wink:
cheers kurt

1989 helio\'s blue clipper
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.