Skip navigation

MK1 Steel Chromed Bumpers

Back to the top

MK1 Steel Chromed Bumpers

Hi All,

There is probably a million posts about these already in existance on this forum.

I am new to the world of MK1's, and am slowly learning about my car/modifications.  I would love to swap my standard bumpers for a set of steel chrome bumpers.  My only trouble is the price!  It is shocking to see what they are going for.

I will get to the point. I work for a big steel metal fabrication company, and have facilities around me to make reproduction parts.  I am trying to source a set of bumpers (on the cheap) so that I can copy the design.

If I am able to get a set to copy, would anybody be interested in buying them from me?  I know what these would cost to make and it is without doubt one of the most overly priced items I have seen.

Ideally I would like to re-produce and sell bumper sets uncoated.  By doing this I can keep the cost of manufacture down.  The benefit you have from this, is you will be free to chrome it, powder coat it, polish it … the choices of finish are endless.

Anyway, let me know what you think.  Perhaps somebody on here would be willing to lend me a pair.

OEM_DUB

Back to the top
hi oem dub welcome :) this sounds like a good idea, im one of those people who dont mind not having genuine vw parts coz of the prices spesh the chrome bumpers!!!! id love a set, ill keep ya in mind bud :D again great idea go for it, good luck,

carrie

\'Check Your Nuts!\'  My partner has just been through an operation and chemotherapy for Testicular Cancer and is only 29. He had no lump or pain, just became swollen… If in doubt, get to the doctor!

Back to the top
Yep i would be ineterested!!!

i will keep na eye out!

Diamond Silver s1 gti 1.8 16v on R1 Carbs
Aygo Blue 2010 1.0 vvt (Daily Hack)
Past \'82 1.5 glx cabby converted to 1.9 tsr RIP

Back to the top
Like what has been said above.I too would love some of these on my golf but am put off by the high price tag.So if you could do some rep's i would be interested in a set  8)

Back to the top
Brill.  Well I got myself a rear bumper from Ebay tonight so I will get to work making a copy.

Just need a front bumper now.  If anybody can help?

Back to the top
im liking this :)

Back to the top
Another rip off part which I'm sure you could easily make are the grill trims.  Again you could leave them unfinished and leave the painting or chroming.  Would be well interested in these as £80 odd seems a rip to me!!!

Back to the top
I have looked at the grill chromes already and they are very tricky to make.  I think they are made using a press, and without that press they can't easily be reproduced.

If anybody can think of any other items then let me know.  We have a powder coating facility also.

OEM_DUB

Back to the top
id be interested too. had some on my old car and want some on this but cant afford another set!
what kind of price would they be? BBT will do uncoated ones for £80 each, but then its like £20 for each bracket so thats another 80 and the list goes on haha

Back to the top
Thanks for your continued support on this.

With regards to the price.  I can't even guess untill this first bumper arrives.  I need to look at the material first, and get the design.  I am not doing this as an exercise to make money. I'd love a set for myself, and it is more cost effective to make about 10 off.

Could you link me to BBT?  Is this an online shop/supplier 'or' somebody else on the forum?

OEM_DUB

Back to the top
BBT - Big Boys Toys ... duh

Back to the top
yeah bang on haha. erm, i actually saw something on edition38 from the guys there about adding them to the site

Back to the top
Let's see if we can't under cut them :)

Back to the top
haha i like the sound of that :P
keep us posted!

Back to the top
Definitely be interested mate. Let us know

Back to the top
i would definetly be interested to mate :)

Back to the top
Quick update.  The bloody bumper hasn't arrived (due to the seller not sending them as promised).  Will be a few weeks yet so will keep you all updated)

Back to the top
I know the feeling,

I bought something off a guy on here i paid him on  the 4th January! Aint heard from him since! and he has my money!!

hmm how long should i wait before taking action?…

Diamond Silver s1 gti 1.8 16v on R1 Carbs
Aygo Blue 2010 1.0 vvt (Daily Hack)
Past \'82 1.5 glx cabby converted to 1.9 tsr RIP

Back to the top
ill have a pair if you can do them. but let us know if you can do brackets as well or if price is so good then dont worry.
just an idea if you cant get a front.
if everyone else is there must be enough of us to all contribute 5-10 quid each for you to buy a front, copy it, and reduce our sale by the same price.
dont know how people feel about that but id be happy so shout me if the idea seems reasonable.

together we could achieve great things…lol

Back to the top
Don't worry about the front.  When I get paid I'll just buy one, copy it and then sell it on.  I might make a small loss but hey … nothing ventured nothing gained.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.