Skip navigation

Furthest you have gone in your Mk1?

Back to the top

Furthest you have gone in your Mk1?

I'm planning a trip to Dubrovnik (Croatia), via France, Switzerland, Italy and Slovenia - about 1500 miles each way, more by the time we've done some sights etc.

Anyone done a big road-trip? What did you take in terms of spares? Mine's a Weber carb'd 1800 auto in an 82 shell.

Back to the top
340 miles no-stop on the day I bought it.

T

Back to the top

Tian said

340 miles no-stop on the day I bought it.

T

Likewise,  went from Sandhurst to Edinburgh with a few stops on the way - great fun  :wink:

Back to the top
Dont see why it will not run for miles. as long as its been looked after it should be ok

Fingers crossed.

Post some pics of the road trip.

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
610 miles, Marseille - Calais, in 12 hours the day after I bought it . . . and 50mpg too, well pleased  :D  :D

As for spares, just had a fanbelt plus a can of oil and five litres of water as I didn't know the engine (in the end it didn't use a drop of either)

~ Craig

'77 Golf 1.5D

Back to the top
340 mile in the snow when i won the car on ebay from somebody in mansfield i drove it back to perranporth with no stop's and she's been good to me ever since :)
I LOVE MY VOLKSWAGEN AND MY VOLKSWAGEN LOVES ME :)

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Keiron foster Forever Fund for Meningitis UK

xxx jen xxx

Back to the top
from west london to the agm in 2009… played cat and mouse all the way there with my brother in his mk1 lotus cortina…. did'nt miss a beat… great fun  :lol:

Back to the top
About 650 miles round trip to agm 2010 in uttoxeter… and looking forward to agm 2011 when we will do it all again!  :lol:

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
From Sheffield to Colchester when I picked her up.

Mind you she has sent me round the bends a few times  :lol:  still wouldnt change a thing though !!!!!

G60

Back to the top
This is just wrong but the longest trip I've done in my mk1 is about 40miles & I've had the car over 2 years  :redfaced:

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
Approximately 800 miles from Dover to The Auvergne in France (near Lyon) a couple of years ago.

Virtually without stopping, just a few pitstops for us along the way.

Spent a week pootling round the region followed by another 800 mile trip back plus the couple of hours Dover to home.

Never missed a beat the whole time  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Went to Prague and back via Vienna and Frankfurt………………..it was only 2 years old then though!
Been abroad in it about 20 times since then and the last time I think I had a bulb kit and a fan belt.
Sounds as if you can fix things yourself but don't forget the things you have to have such as the hi-vis jackets - I've heard of the French Police fining people for not having them inside the car.
You'll see loads of Mk1s in Croatia - I think they might have assembled them there.
Have a great trip!

Back to the top
What are the Hi-Vis Jackets ???

Would love to know of Any Croatian member who can give us some more infor on the MK1's there

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
220 miles in the silver one when I bought it in Wales…
72 miles in the green one for THE AGM 2010!!!

Back to the top
Hi Vis are reflective yellow waistcoats, you have to be carrying one of those plus a warnng triangle in the car. I think you might need a fire extinguisher too.

I'm sure we did have someone from Croatia on here not long ago??  :dontknow:

Back to the top
Thanks Debs :)

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Just found this

AA Link

Interesting reading

Put your country in and it tells you what you need plus dos and donts.

Back to the top
Easter trip from Accrington to Ardbreknish in scotland, just under 280 miles.
Best easter break deer in the garden in the mornin and driving around scotland in the sun with the roof down but still snow around.
only worry was the deer kept jumping onto the road.

1988 1.8 carb Golf Clipper

Back to the top
Brought mine blind on ebay, turned up and paid for it, then drove from Basildon (Essex) all the way home to Gutersloh, Germany, about 500miles, no problems. And I am driving from Gutersloh to Andover (Wilts) in 2 weeks, I just hope she behaves on the way there.

Back to the top
Thats Brave ;)

the max i have done is 100 miles

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.