Skip navigation

which colour for my mk1? Shiny black or matt black, vote ta!

Back to the top

which colour for my mk1? Shiny black or matt black, vote ta!

i currently own a tin top and it is going in for a respray and i am struggling to decide which colour!
think its between the shiny black with loads of laquer or matt black which seems to be the in thing.
please let me know your thoughts, thanks. :dontknow:

UG

Back to the top
I'm glad you haven't taken any notice of the "why black" topic thats going on lol,

personally i'd go shiney black, but be prepared for misery!

then again maybe you should have a look over at the topic mentioned, you might just want to do full colour change  :lol:

sorry not much help, but if its shiney and a good paint job, its gonna be worth more in the long run.

my old car which i should never have sold :cry:

Back to the top
deffo shiney black :mrgreen:

1983(Y) VW GOLF GTi

Banner

Back to the top

Back to the top
looks very nice the shiney black! and i did miss the "why black" section, doh! :banghead:

UG

Back to the top
bloody hell! the red does look very nice too! what to do? :dontknow:

UG

Back to the top
Are you looking to stay with original colours?

Rich

Back to the top
maat black……….done with spray cans

shiney…

9A,027,278,02A,mikuni r1 carbs,megajolt 36-1,R1 pump,lc1,02J shifter,9J ats…

Back to the top
Shiney every time!

Back to the top
again, very nice in both shiney and i do like the matt black, dont know why but i do.
with regards the original colour, mine is black originally. still is but doesnt mean i cant change.
i am verging on shiney with loads of layers of laquer as i have a euro look small chrome bumpers, opening quarter lights very low on coilovers etc etc.  :roll:

UG

Back to the top
Have you thought of more modern VAG colours? Scirocco green? R32 blue? Something bright? Or dark but different, Aubergine?

Rich

Back to the top
you dont need loads of laquer to make it shiny. that red one in the pic is my golf and is very shiny. and has no laquer. 6 layers of good quality paint and a good wax does the job. the matt one does look cool though

Back to the top
yes the red one is very nice indeed, i will have a word with the painter to make sure he does a good job. i have loads of pictures that i have taken during the build and am going to do a thread as it is like ans4r 's avatar currently minus the quality paint, but other than that same. engine to do then ready for next year! ( engine is another story all together but decided 2.0l 16v or 1.8 kr )  :wink:

UG

Back to the top
good luck with it dude. looking forward to seeing your build thread

Back to the top
check out this BM with a matt black finish at the NEC this year..  I always prefered shiney but this was nice  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
that looks very cool. do that! looks like it has a mix of 20% gloss. i had a set of d90 porsche wheels in matt black with 10% gloss and they looked really cool.

Back to the top
slightly different angle, link to a much larger pic of the bmw

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4111/5175941030_649d6e8981_o.jpg

looked a lot better in the flesh

Back to the top
if done right matt looks cool - especially in different colours from black - theres a mk5 done in a matt aubergine - looks v nice

Back to the top
Which wax would you use on a matt car?..  :dontknow:

How do you buff it up to a lacklusterous shine?..  :dontknow:

Back to the top

walt said

Which wax would you use on a matt car?..  :dontknow:

How do you buff it up to a lacklusterous shine?..  :dontknow:

you dont - you wash it with a 50/50 mix of gravel and dust  :lol:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.