Skip navigation

Where is the noise coming from????

Back to the top

Where is the noise coming from????

fitted a pipe to the outlet and I got a healthy spray of fuel come out. What would you suggest I do next?

Back to the top
Dont know what I've done but the in line fuel pump doesn't make a noise anymore???? This is what happened:- Fitted a new fuel pump and when I started the car I could hear the fuel pump buzzing over the engine. After advice, I did the following.
Removed one wire from the feed to the fuel pump to test the lift pump in tank, turned the key one click and I could hear the lift pump "prime". I then reconnected the fuel pump wire and connected a pipe to the outlet pipe on the lift pump and turned the key one click again and a healthy squirt of fuel came out in to my bucket. To be sure, I removed the lift pump to check the filter and it was clean and looked like new. The car now runs without the fuel pump buzzing but you can hear it working if you lie down and put your ear next to it, the only thing is the car idles a little high once warmed up????

Back to the top
hmm one of those amazing self-solving problems then!

what it could be was the reservoir under the car was not filling up for some reason, now you've messed about priming a load of times the reservoir is now full up?

might be worth a check to make sure the reservoir is actually there, its a while plastic box with 4 pipe connections on it

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Is it near the fuel pump?

Back to the top
its between the lift pump and the main pump, under the car near the pump somewhere. not 100% sure where it is though! the accumulator is metal and has 2 pipes on the same end, the reservoir is plastic with 4 lines on it.  if the reservoir isnt there then thats a clue as to whats going on!

Back to the top
So I gather my 88 Gti cab should have one there? I'll have a look later and keep you informed. I can see the accumulator no problem. Cheers

Back to the top
yep if it has a lift pump it has a fuel reservoir :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.