Skip navigation

mk1 1.3gt conversion - Help

Back to the top

mk1 1.3gt conversion - Help

I Know you said you are currently using the Mk1 radiator, but wich one is it or wouldnt it matter wich one to use?

Back to the top
just the top fill radiator that was in the 1.1 as standard, i guess any rad will do tho

Back to the top
Any chance you can get some photo's up of your fuel pump setup? Thanks.

Back to the top
This is what I have, what I need to know is where all the connections belong. Any diagrams or something that will be of help to me?

I have decided to keep the motor as it is and get it running first, I will do the bike carb conversion at a later stage.

Back to the top
it was pretty hard to get under the car with all the snow but i managed,

basically i have ditched the accumulator and just ran the pump and large filter

so it goes:
tank > lift pump > main pump > large filter > fuel rail
and return goes straight into the tank

i still need to add a filter before the main pump because I've heard the get clogged up easily

heres a diagram:

view from inside the car:

some rough pictures was hard to get a good shot!

hope this helps

as for the ecu loom, the red and brown near the afm go to the battery, the relays are for the fuel pump (red and yellow cable is live for both fuel pumps)

i'm not sure about the rest, if you post up some colours of wires i can compare with mine,
luckily mine had been labeled when it was removed from the polo

you do realize that when you go to bike carbs your not going to need any of the ecu?

as i said before i think the injection system is better than carbs tho

Back to the top
Thanks mate,appreciate the effort! Atleast most of the snow has melted her so I could get the car out an have a fiddle!
So would the entire ECU and loom be disregarded if going for bike carbs?

Back to the top
yeh it would just use the same setup as the mk1 uses with its carb i think, im not really sure about this route as i read further into the injection route.

also you wont need the high pressure fuel pump

but the extra work to run the injection system will pay off i reckon as your motor will be more reliable, better fuel consumption etc

im not sure about the powetr difference between bike carbs and injection

Back to the top
Mmm...something to think about! I will read up a bit more on both and decide. I have read up that the bike carb conversion can be detrimental though...

Back to the top
I am doing a bike carb conversion,do I need some part of th ECU or do I disregard the whole thing?
Or do I still need it for the ignition?
Any info on that will be appreciated.

Back to the top
What throttle cable is used, standard mk1 or polo mk3??

What doesn't kill me can only make me stronger.

Mk1 will be back.

Back to the top
im still on the the mk1 throttle cable

Back to the top
which wiring did you use for the starter?

Back to the top
just random bits i think, just need two bits with ring terminals on to go from alternator to starter solenoid and from solenoid to battery, i think

then original mk1 loom for the other two pins on the starter motor solenoid

Back to the top
cheers dude. hows your conversion running?
few more Q's if you dont mind helping. what fuel pump are you using? and do you have spare plugs left over from the GT loom?

Back to the top
im using the gt fuel pump, which you will need if running standard injection

i separated the ecu part of the loom and plumbed it into the mk1 golf loom, meaning the only redundant plug is the diagnostics plug.

Back to the top
yer Im running the standard injection, fuel pump is my last part of the puzzle. I have the engine loom seperated and I have these plugs spare

3 pin - Black, black and red, brown wires near to throttle bodyarea

3 pin - red, black and red, yellow wires. with a slotted edge plug like its meant to slide into somewhere.

Any advice on where they go? cheers.

Back to the top

Back to the top
forgive me if i sound daft, what I need to do is connect the wires youve mentioned to the ports/wires on the mk1 golf fuse box?
also on the other plug the middle wire of mine is not green it is black and red does that make a difference as its not being used??  what sould I do with the wires that are not being used, ie, yellow and white and green/red and black?

appreciate the help, got me going now to finish the thing!

Back to the top
yeh, thats what i did, make sure you definatley dont have a plug with the green wire,

i used small spade connecters to run a wire from the pins in the 3 pin polo connecters to the fusebox
this meant i just left the y/w wire as a pin in the plug, but if you have access to the correct parts from the polo loom your could wire in the diagnostics port

Back to the top
ok cheers. I have the proper plugs for the tother side so could I not just cut out the wires not needed ? i dont have the diagnostic port so no point keeping the wire.
another question here, the 2 wires i am connecting to port 8s. did you thread them through the bulkhead and then splice just behind the fusebox or locate the wires elsewhere, oh and when you say splice do you just mean cut the old and join the new or actually keep the old and splice the new in aswell?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.