Skip navigation

mk1 1.3gt conversion - Help

Back to the top

mk1 1.3gt conversion - Help

Hi,

Well….i recieved my first little project yesterday, a 1983 Mk1 1.1 C.  :)  She has a 1.3Gt motor fitted but the conversion wasnt completed. I dont know how long she has been standing for etc. Some wiring still do be done and a few other things. My plan is to give her a complete makeover and make something special. My intension is also to have R1 carbs fitted.  I want to get it mechanically sound first before I start on the cosmetics and all the other bits.
Now when it comes to cars im not a mechanical genius as I have always been in to motorbikes, so what I want to know is there anyone that could have a look and tell me exactly what is needed to complete the conversion etc, even better someone that can complete the conversion for me?

Any help would be appreciated or if someone can point me in the right direction or know of a garage or someone that might be able to help me with this.

Thanks!

Back to the top
I've just done this conversion, what do you need help with?

Back to the top
Not 100% sure what is still needed to complete the conversion? Basically just need some help on completing this conversion from someone like yourself as you obviousely know alot about this conversion seeing you just done it. Was it a easy conversion?

Back to the top
its the first engine conversion I've done so i cant really gauge how easy it,

are you going to run the multi point injection?
if so have you got the fuel pump?

how much of the wiring has been done?

might be easier to post pictures

there is quite a few threads on here that will help you with exhaust and a bit of wiring
i had to use wiring diagrams also

Back to the top
To be honest im very new to this so this will be a learning curve for me!
Ive got the fuel pump yes. Yes i will be checking out all available threads for help on this.
Not to sure how much wiring has been done but by judging I would prob say half. Pics will follow…

Back to the top
Struggling to get pics on here, doesnt seem to insert?

Back to the top
you have to upload them onto photobucket then copy the links from there

Back to the top
Finally!  :)

Back to the top
if your sure you gonna run carbs, i would strip out all the ecu stuff you dont need.

i would say you should run the mpi tho

i had to file down the drivers side engine mount to fit the alternator

here are some diagrams to help you:

if your going to run the polo gt exhaust manifold and down pipe you will have to cut the catalyst of as it fouls on the mk1 body.
this will have to be mated with a mk1 golf gti exhaust system

at the moment im using the mk1 golf manifold+exhaust system

are you using the whole polo loom up to the fusebox or is the polo loom spliced into the mk1 loom?

Back to the top
Thanks for these diagrams mate,they will be a huge help! I'm going to spend some time today looking at the wiring etc. and see what exactly has been done. What gearbox and radiator are you using on yours,I still need to get a radiator. Could you possibly put up a pic of ur engine bay? There is already a brand new powerflow exhaust fitted but I will need to have a look at the manifold etc like you said.

Back to the top

as you can see its not completely finished but I fired it up a couple days ago, still need to make a bracket for the air filter and find a home for the ecu and coil + tidy the wiring up.

i did away with the expansion tank and just blocked of the hoses running to and from it

im using the original 4 speed for now, but will eventually swap for the polo 5 speed box.

radiator wise, im still using the mk1 rad, but im going to use the polo fan cowling hopefully with the mk1 golf fan motor, this is so i dont have to splice the fan plug from the polo in.

Back to the top
Thanks for the pics, looks good.  I havnt had time to look at it today as I was out buying tools and lifting equipment to get the job done properly! :)How is it running? How long did the conversion take you to do?

Back to the top
well i got the block in in a day, and have been working on it slowly over the following months, finding a suitable spot for the fuel pump setup was hard ended up bolting it to the outside of spare wheel well,

i haven't driven it yet because it has no brakes but seems to run ok, think i need to get a new exhaust gasket because its leaking a little

Back to the top
well its good to know these things because I might have to do the same with the fuel pump. :)
Do you think it will be neccessary taking the motor out again, opening it up and giving it a once over or get it hooked up first and see. I think the motor was a runner before the conversion but it has been standing for a while.

Back to the top
hmm, i would try get it running before you take it out, might be alot of work for no reason. But if your wanting to make a project out of it you could clean up the bay and paint it.

Back to the top
Ya i think i will get it running first as I want to with the bike carbs etc. and once everything is running and working properly then I will take it all out for respray etc.
I read somewhere else that I can use the mk2 polo radiator with the mk1 fan, cowl and switch so the wiring is standard….

Where about are you based mate?

Back to the top
i didnt want to use the mk1 fan as it was closer to the engine vs the mk3 polo which is over to one side
just looks like a better fit

im up in the lakedistrict, bit far to give you a hand lol

Back to the top
Ya, just a bit to far! :) O.k, I will have a play around with that one. Appreciate all the info mate, going to get it in the air tomorrow and have a in depth look, im hoping most of the wiring has been done already.
The previous owner told me i will need driveshafts as well so need to get that to. Going to be fun few months! :)

Back to the top
Would I just use the original 1.1 driveshaft?

Back to the top
yeh
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.