Skip navigation

My Formel E Project..A45 MKJ

Back to the top

My Formel E Project..A45 MKJ

So this is my first taste of Mk1 ownership as such, although have had dealings with them previously, its never been my name on the V5.
I picked this treat up a few weeks back from the middle of nowhere, being bought on the strength of some sketchy photos and a night time inspection with headlights and a mag light.

Went with one of the guys i work with, he drove it back the 40 miles or so (on trade plates) and it seemed to behave.. so heres what i bought!

Its remarkably straight and so far devoid of any rust!!

Inside its a little bit tatty but i have a plan!

The headliner has managed to stay nice though, which is good, as i didnt fancy replacing that!

Back to the top
With these rubbish dark evenings i had to wait till the weekend after to clean it up.. and after a wash i had a bit of fun with the polish!
I used to drive a breadvan polo with polished in stripes, so its a bit of a running theme on my cars!

stay tuned for more updates.. coilovers, wheel change, heater fix, window seals, service, drive and potential for an interior overhaul!

Andy

Back to the top
Ooh, another Formel E! Great stuff.

If you fancy swapping your front door cards for some with speakers in as part of your interior overhaul then let me know! I've been looking for some for over a year now ;)

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top
Pretty Cool.

Is this the original colour.

Whats your plan, heavy mods or original.

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Yay ! Formel E !!  Good fun - 9.7:1 compression ratio.  :)

Lower, lighten, polish - DONE.

Real golfers don't play with clubs

Back to the top
Thanks for the interest in this little peach.. the paint is the original colour - however the sides and bonnet have had a blow over at stevie wonders workshop, so the paint isn't great and is a shade lighter… i'm toying with rubbing it back, but frightened of what i might find. To be fair to it at ten yards you can't tell, so it will do!

Last weekend saw a few rubbers being swapped over, the large felts have all shrunk, so picked up some from work..

And then with a new one, bingo!

I also swapped the tailgate seal, the old one had been siliconed in and was in a right old state..

Fortunately working where i do is kinda handy for this, we had just had these seals made.. so time for a test.

I had to cut it length, but that was easy with a stanley knife and hacksaw (through some masking tape) on the metal part.

Next up some coilovers..as for where this is going, low and slow will do.. the scala rims from my mk1 polo are destined under the arches, then going to use it while the polo is tucked up for the winter months.

Thanks for reading

andy

Back to the top
That is a beautiful MK1.

1979 S1 MK1 Golf L FOR SALE! http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=101471
1970 VW Beetle 1600 Twin 34 ICT\'s - Betty
1973 Marathon Beetle - The Moll\'s

Back to the top
will make a nice motor again, good luck with the resto

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
Car looks good Andy. looking forward to seeing more pictures and progress!

Rich

Back to the top
Bloody snow has put a spanner in the works.. that and the lower shock bolt on the drivers side.

Got these through from Hot Tuning t'other day..very cheap, theres probably a reason but this car is being done on a strict budget.

Replaced the top mounts with some Meyle ones from work.. not worth the arse ache if the old ones go, for the cost of it.

The rear bolt was tackled at half 8 Sunday morning.. lying on the drive in sub zero conditions on an offcut of carpet.. hacksaw in one hand and hammer in the other! It came out.. fortunately a mate was breaking his GTi so i pinched a spare bolt to replace the one i just cut. And it now sits a fair bit lower. Will get a pic up later.

Next up wheels/ tax / insurance, or interior overhaul…depends how much i want to use it!

Thanks for reading!

Back to the top
Well the Golf is now road legal… got busy yesterday in preparation for our "Santa Cruise" with work today. Now rocking on the rims from the polo and significantly lower. Its done over 100 miles in the last 24 hours… and didn't miss a beat.
The missing side trims were bought up and fitted them today too!
Heres the piccies!

Got an old headunit wired up this morning too.. was suprised to find i had bought it with speakers in the side shelf.. old cars are much better with decent tunes on!

More will follow!

Thanks for reading

Back to the top
You can have a pair of front doorcards with speakers in them for your ones without if you fancy a swap? (Yes, I'm desperate!)

Also, I know a s**t hot (cheap) trimmer if you want your seats done too.

It's good to see another Formel E on the road. Finally sorted my idling issue out today, so there was another one zipping around the streets!

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top
Hey dude… i'll be politely declining your doorcard offer for the time being.. i'll let you know if i change my mind.

The seats will be fine - my dads a trimmer and i've done my fair share too, think it will have to wait till next year though this christmas lark is getting costly!

Glad you've got your sorted..have you got a build thread?

Back to the top
No worries - the doorcards seem to be like gold dust, just can't get hold of any.

No build thread for me. The only things I've done to it are the chrome surround on the grill, new exhaust (MOT advisory) a set of steelies and washed it! It's pretty much mint, apart from some of the paintwork, so might treat it to a respray one day.

Some pics -

My brother is a trimmer hence the shameless plug. It's always nice to have folk like that around!

P.S I'm a girl ;)

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top
Apologies for the dude assumption!
Your interior is beautiful… my drivers seat looks like its been attacked by a crocodile, and my carpet used as temporary flooring for Glastonbury.. but oh well, theres plenty of time to get it fixed!
Have you got any more plans, apart from the hens teeth door cards?!

Back to the top
I want to put the centre speaker back in and hook up the ones in the rear shelves but other than that I can't see me doing much to it - I don't have the bug!

What mileage is yours? You're lucky to have no rust. I bought mine with 86k (now has 93k) but it has very minor rust still but the front wings have been replaced at some point.

Also, no probs about the dude assumption, everyone does it!

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top
Looks good Andy! Really like the Polo wheels on it!
Where did you find her? You probabaly don't remember me, I came to one of the Heretics meets, the last evening one with pics of a S1 gti?

Rich

Back to the top
Mine is on about 130k but drives very well for it to be honest.
Rich - i found it over near Tundridge Wells … i say near, not sure how close, but we past a sign on the dark night we went to get it.. and we were travelling an hour from Burgess Hill. It was in the middle of nowhere.. it came about as a friend of a work colleague had bought a Mk2 from the same guy.
Vaguely remember the mention of a GTi at the meets.. but couldn't tell you any more lol! I speak to quite a few people about Golfs!

I'm really chuffed how it looks on the rims, might pop some 10 or 15mm spacers on the back though to get the wheels sitting right.

Heres a pic from my weekends antics.. VW Heritage Santa Cruise raising money for The Childrens Trust!

Thanks for your comments so far
Andy
A

Back to the top
130k! Mine has plenty of life left in it then (assuming I keep it that long).

Looks great on the road, Andy.

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top
Love it apart from 2 doors to many  :lol: .

I through my blue interior away when I first got mine  :cry: . I didn't know what was what about golfs then, gutted now tho.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.