Skip navigation

New Wiper Motor & Relay - Still Won't Park

Back to the top

New Wiper Motor & Relay - Still Won't Park

Hi All,

The wipers on my Mk1 Golf were terribly slow when I bought it, with no speed change between slow and fast. They also didn't park when the wipers were turned off.

I read a few topics on here and first fitted a new (second hand) wiper relay. No. 19 I think it was. That didn't cure it. So, I invested in a mk2 wiper motor, which I fitted yesterday. Whilst this improved the wiper strength/speed, they still won't park!

What else could it be? Dodgy relay?

Cheers

Matt

1982 Golf GTi - Mars Red and totally stock!

Back to the top
The parking mechanism is entirely inside the motor.
All that is required is a live feed to the track that provides the parking. When you switch the wipers to the off position power should always remain to one of the wires, the wipers themselves will break the connection once the parking position is reached. Get a meter on the connector to check for this live feed.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Oky doke, will check that, thanks.

I thought it quite strange how both the mk1 and Mk2 motors both don't park…..

Where does this additional live feed come from?

Back to the top
I fully agree to lhasadreams: and I gues, both of your Wiper mechanisms are working well.
I previously posted for the same problem here:
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=92203
The additional live feed comes from your fuse-box and is normally connected to ignition. So you must consider to switch on your ignition while checking for the live feed.

VW GOLF MK1 / 1979
1100 cc Fuel/LPG Powered

Back to the top
I failed an MOT for this.
It was connection behind fuse board. It still plays up
The wires are brittle and I found it just by fiddling with them
with ignition on. When you touch the right wire the wipers go to park.
Remember the wire and replace it sometime.
I haven't got round to that bit yet.

Back to the top
Thanks for your replies.

Got a multi-meter out on the weekend, and I have switced 12V feed on 2 of the 4 wires, and the earth is fine. However, on wire no.3, there is no constant 12v ignition feed, so i assume this is my problem.

It then started raining, so gave up tracing the fault, but will investigate problems behind the fusebox next!

Cheers

Back to the top
Would be great if you could post up the culprit, im in the same situation. But away from the Mk1 at the moment.

Thanks  :D

Back to the top
I have a similar problem.
Positions 1 & 2 do not work, only 3 does (fast setting) but the wipers are comically slow. And they don't park.
Don't know what sets the speed. Resistors, i'm guessing which i don't know the whereabouts of (on the motor?).
If i replace the motor, would it be likely that they work? Need to find one first.

As much advice on restoring a Series 1 as possible please

Back to the top
They are slow because the spindles will of corroded inside and be binding

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
what could be causing the intermittent and slow settings to not work at all?

Back to the top
if its later blade type fusebox, check fuse #11, and pin D/20 on the back of the fusebox. see the fusebox sticky for pictures of the rear of fusebox to help you i/d the pins

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Just been out on the hunt for a new motor and found nowt. All different even on mk2's. Here it is. Any idea whether it has resitors on it (with the white and blue wires connected to them)?

This is my box.

The numbers on the fuel pump relay are different that of the box. Does this matter? The relay has just started clicking away like mad which eventually causes low pressure and cutting out. Can i get one at all?

Another favourite is no hazard lights. When i switch them on, the dash light is permanently on but no flashing. No click either and the indicators aren't illuminated.
Can anyone advise what the relays and locations are as i can't find any info?

Many thanks

Back to the top
MK2 motor should still fit, only difference is its missing 1 mounting. this makes no difference though it still fits fine. unless earlier mk1s differ somehow, I did this on an 83 MK1 cabby no bother.

dont worry about the numbers on the fusebox, they're just numbered 1 - whatever from left to right iirc.  check the red/black wire to the coil, does the rev counter go crazy at all?

hazards sound like switch is faulty or you have a blown fuse? check fuse #8, and that the hazard switch has ign live to pin 15 (black/blue wire) and permanent live to pin 30 (red/white wire)

Back to the top
Think i need you on speed dial!

The plug socket on the motor is different to the ones i have found. Might go back and have another look but i'm sure the ones i have seen from later models have only 4 pins mine has 5 with one (the brown) fixed to the body (as in pics). Don't know why this is. Wish i new the circuit.

No, the rev counter doesn't go nuts. Don't get me onto the clocks though. That's a separate issue altogether - wobbly wobbly needles!

The hazard thing - had headlights on once, so dash was lit up. Closed hazard switch and it illuminated, as did the dash light (permanently ofcourse). When i flicked it open it slowly faded out (or it may have been vice versa). Wiring? Where is the relay for the hazards?

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Rik

Back to the top
yeah the socket differs, what you do is chop off some wire from the donor car. then crimp some spades on the ends and push into the pins on the mk1 plug :)
no need to worry about the wires on the motor itself, just the wires to the plug on the mk1 loom.

hazard relay is in slot N, far right. check fuse #6 as well :)

Back to the top
Hi guys, my wipers dont self park either, ive had a look at fuse number 11 and its fine….any ideas guys?

Cheers!!!

Back to the top
Hi All,

Finally got a chance to get back out and have a look to see whats going on.

Right, got a multi meter on the motor connector again, and realised that I do actually have an ignition live to the wiper, as well as my 'slow' and 'fast' 12V supplies and a good earth.

Ist it likely that both my original mk1 and replacement mk2 motors have both failed internally? It looks like a fully sealed unit, is there any other way to check it?

Cheers

Matt

Back to the top
You can drill the rivets out and clean if you are careful !

Once open it becomes obvious how it works, you might find that the copper tracks have worn away.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Right well i've opened the wiper motor up, and to be honest it all looked quite good inside really. I gave it a through clean, regreased and sealed back up, and uess what…..still no parking. I did a bit more testing of the electrical connections on the connector and this is what I found:

Ignition on - Wiper stalk at setting '0' (i.e. horizontal)

53a - 12.5v
53b - 0.8v
53e - 0.8v
53 - 12.5v

Wiper stalk at first position:

53a - 12.5v
53b - 0.8v
53e - 0.8v
53 - 12.5v

Wiper stalk at second position:

53a - 12.5v
53b - 0.8v
53e - 0.8v
53 - 12.5v

Wiper stalk at third position:

53a - 12.5v
53b - 12.5v
53e - 0.8v
53 - 12.5v

I'm really confused, because the wipers work fine on settings 2 and 3, ie: slow and fast, but dont park. I get no response at all from setting 1, which I assume should be intermittant? But based on the results above,  the wipers should be doing exactly the same thing on settings 0, 1 and 2?? I'm lost, even after hours of stating at wiring diagrams and related websites!lol

Any help much appreciated!

Matt

Back to the top
The wiper stalk should have 4 "clicked" positions and two "temporary" positions.

From the off position you should be able to push the stalk down for intermittent and up once for 1st speed and up again for second speed.

You should be able to pull the stalk towards you to operate the front washers and wipers.
You should be able to push the stalk away from you for the rear wash and wipe.

Intermittent is controlled by the relay J31 (You can replace this with a MK3 item that allows you to vary the intermittent duration).

53 causes the motor to run at it's first speed and is fed directly from the wiper switch.
53b causes the motor to run at its second speed and is also fed directly from the wiper switch.
53a is permanently fed from the fuse box, and provides via the ignition switch 12v for the auto parking operation.
53e is driven by J31 relay and gives you intermittent mode, it puts 12v on it long enough for the motor to move and pick the power up from 53a, the wipers will auto park when the wipers automatically break the connection to 53a. This cycle is repeated at intervals set by this relay.
Pulling the stalk causes the relay to put 12v on 53e again, so the wipers run until they break the connection to 53a. At the same time the washer motor is energised to squirt water.
Pushing the stalk causes the rear motor and washer to run, usually for 3 wipes.

Not all cars had intermittent or rear wash wipe.

Hope this helps !!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.