Skip navigation

Refurbing my Cabrio Badges

Back to the top

Refurbing my Cabrio Badges

After purchasing a badge refurb kit from chortle I thought I would take pics and post how I got on….

What do you think folks…

First stage was to take the badges off, after a little umming and arring I realised that would be a pain in the a**e so I set about masking off around the badge to allow refurb in situ…Luckily the backing sticky pads allowed the masking tape to run well under the badge…

First pics just show badge untouched but taped up and ready (note cabriolet badge to be tackled separate..

Pic1

Pic2

Then I rubbed each badge down with scotch brite and a fine file to pick out all the old polish that had collected over the years….Once done disted badge down with a clean paint brush.  Finally wiped over with some panel wipe.
Then a couple of coats of matt black (pics 3&4)

Pic 3

Pic 4

With the matt black dryed off, I set about sticking on the transfers, used a strip of masking tape to stick them all together then apply each one at a time to the badge. Pics 5 & 6 show first badge set applied and second set waiting.

Pic 5

Pic 6

Once stickers were down well I put on two/three coats of lacquer to seal and gloss..
Once I took the masking tape off the cabriolet badge you could see the difference….and only took about 1hr all in…

Just got to finish the cabriolet and karmann badges….

\'91 Clipper : My first Golf….
Its an xmas surprise for the wife 2010
\"Hope she likes it\"..

Back to the top
verv nice finish. I rushed mine and now there all pealing off so im gonna do them again using your method.

GOOD JOB!

Back to the top
thanks freeman, one thing i did try to rush was drying the lacquer, I attempted to use a hot air gun to dry the lacquer but realised it was warming and  lifting the letters in the corners  arrrrg….quickly stopped and pressed them back down with a knife edge…think they set ok…

\"Hope she likes it\"..

Back to the top
Very nice job mate very nice, i did mine and thought excellent, now im not so sure seeing yours, where did you get the kit from and how much, cheers Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Banner

Back to the top

Ginner said

where did you get the kit from and how much, cheers Dave.

Thanks for the comments Ginner….got them from chortle on here….if you do a search you'll find him…

\"Hope she likes it\"..

Back to the top
awsome job mate, look great

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
looks mint buddy, i rushed my first set, but have removed all my badges, got another re furb kit of chortle and will be doing the above while my cabby's sorn for winter

great result they look really good

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Wow, I am up for some of that.

Back to the top
Yeah!
I need a Kit also for my cabby!!!
Where I can find it?…
I need For the following Badges:
KARMAN x 2pcs
VOLKSWAGEN
CABRIOLET

If someone can help me…I'll really appreciates it!

Cheers to all from Italy!

Back to the top

TopperHarley said

Yeah!
I need a Kit also for my cabby!!!
Where I can find it?…
I need For the following Badges:
KARMAN x 2pcs
VOLKSWAGEN
CABRIOLET

If someone can help me…I'll really appreciates it!

Cheers to all from Italy!

PM Chortle on here, that's who I used….

\"Hope she likes it\"..

Back to the top
TopperHarley

I have full set of badges, with refurb kit apllied but peeled away a little in some area's could do with being done again if perfectionist

see pics here

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=93784&highlight=

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
sorry did you mean you need badges or just the kit ?

if its just the kit see Chortle, top quality kit, great service :-)

1.8T CABBY

Back to the top
Sorry,
I only need the refurb kit…cause I got a lot of badges at home(about 4 complete badge set!!!)…I've saw some pics about the refurb kit from chortle and it seems a very good solution…!
I tried to contact chortle but without any answer…I'll wait for his answer..! :D

Back to the top
Cheers Fellas,
have been away to Cuba, so literally just back.
So I have replied to all the messages.
The kits need to be put on really clean surface free from sillicones, waxes, dirt etc.
You can do these off the Car too.
Clean Clean Clean, spray a light coat of matt black paint, apply the foils and press flat from centre outwards.
Due to the variance of badges you may need just to rock the edge of a stanlry knife blade to remove any excess although these tend to be reasonably accurate.
Finish with some Satin finish laquer to seal them in and when you wash the area, you just need to be careful when washing and wiping around them, just wipe gentley from the centre to the edges.
Has anyone seen deks new car pics yet?

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
HAVE YOU SEEN THEM ?

i'am a mk1 golf nutter RHODEISAN RIDGEBACK mk1 cabbys rule and you drool

Back to the top
Wow what a difference.

Cant wait to do mine in the new year.

Back to the top
Hi Chortle
Think you could go into a life long business here with these badge kits!!!
Please can you send me details of where I can send payment and details for a badge kit set.
Many thanks

Back to the top
Hi chortle, how much are these kits? Pm me so we can sort this out please.
thanks

Back to the top
Price on these kits my badges need some love too!O_o

Back to the top
PM me what you require, as there are different ones for the Cabbies. I got tin top ones also the GX

cheers

chortle

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.