Skip navigation

MK1 BLACKBIRD

Back to the top

MK1 BLACKBIRD

I have just started putting a Honda blackbird engine in my mk1 golf and making it RWD, my aim is to get it as light as i can so there wont be much on the inside other then the essentials. I bought a bare shell off ebay which had alot of rot so im not cutting up a minter just saving it and adding my own touch. These pics are pics of the mk1 when I bought it.

Back to the top
First striped what was left of the shell, removed the bits i didnt need and the rotten parts and ended up with quite a pile.

This is the new power plant an 1100cc blackbird engine weighs 70kg wet and should be about 170bhp revs to 12,000rpm and has 6 speed gear box,

Happy days  :D

Back to the top
this could be an interesting build

RWD Mk1

keep us posted :)

Banner

Back to the top
cant wait to  see the finshed result :twisted:  good luck

Back to the top
there is more i started to fab up a new floor and tunnel as will need to fit a prop in the not quite finished as run out of tube but some more came to day so should be done by weekend

Back to the top

Back to the top
cool project, keep the pics coming

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
Interesting....how long have you estimated to complete this?

White '82  Tintop 1800 Golf GTI

Back to the top
This seems like a great plan, I wish you lots of success with it! If I had the ability it's something I'd like to knock out too, and with the parts already out there from the kit car industry (reverse box,rear indy suspension etc) this will be one fantastic motor. Glad you've chopped the floor out, it'll be able to be even lower than normal with that done.

What rear suspension will you be going for (please don't let it be a live axle!!)?

Looking for a series1 passenger side under dash shelf and fittings.

Back to the top
great project will be keeping an eye on this one, best of luck with it

Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
This looks good! Car looked better than mine before you chopped ;) Best of luck with it and keep us posted. Can't wait to see it finished.

Rich

Back to the top
Thanks for great response guys, didn't know how this would go down with die hard mk1 fans, but hay cant please every one. I have no set time i would like this done by i will just plod on with it and see how i get on, i have a space frame land rover i off road so I spend alot of time with that aswel.

Oldfool here are some pics of the rear end set up i will be using its from a fisher fury kit car, Im using a ford xr4i 3.62 diff which will give me 125mph flat out bouncing off rev limiter!!

not sure on suspension yet as cant fit this as uprights which hold hubs on wont be here for 4 weeks!!!! but gives me time to sort arches and rear chassis legs out

Back to the top
Wow..this looks like its going to be awsome…
Gotta love projects like this, you gona use it as a daily then  :lol:
..Or maybe a hardcore track car?

Get some more pictures up mate.  :wink:

WWW.THEREVERB.CO.UK

Back to the top
:D very nice,i too shall be watchin this…
Daz

Banner

Back to the top
Wow, different idea:

VolksHonda :lol:

82 Golf 1.8 20VT
My Project

Back to the top
I don't care what the purists say, this will be fab! If you keep it light, it'll be wonderfully chuckable!! So glad you're going with the independent rear suspension from something already established and proven. If you ever had the desire to build a second one…I'd be VERY interested!!

Good

Looking for a series1 passenger side under dash shelf and fittings.

Back to the top
lets see how i get on with this one first, but you never know. I will be trying to get weight down as much as i can im even removing all seam sealer and when shell is done i will have to dig deep into pockets and go see this guy http://www.performance-trim.com/search.php?category_id=48
hoping to be around 600kg

Back to the top
Nice one dude! Whats that rear suspension been cut from?

Mk1 Golf Gti Abf conversion Project
Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
Mini Cooper S R53 (Daily)

Back to the top
the rear suspension came from a fisher fury kit car.

Today i had a go at one of the arches first time i have done one before really please with how it came out should only need light skim of filler to finish it off here are some pics

Back to the top
been on the mk1 again today after many sleepless nights i have decided i am going to back engine in the back not the front the pros out weigh cons. I think i mid engined mk1 golf will be cool and handle better than having no weight in the back and RWD. If i decide to add a turbo at a later date it will be easy. I have modded to floor to make a fire wall and abit more space for the engine. Here are some pics.

Have a muck up with engine and rear set up

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.