Skip navigation

02A shifter mounting.

Back to the top

02A shifter mounting.

Can anyone put some pics up of how they've mounted their Cable shifters either in the car or from underneath please?

I've heard mounting them in the car is the better option but i'd like to hear from others that have done this.

Cheers.

Back to the top

gearbox3 by www.pix-al.co.uk, on Flickr

gearbox4 by www.pix-al.co.uk, on Flickr

gearbox2 by www.pix-al.co.uk, on Flickr

Shifter was from a Passat…?
Slightly different in that it is linked to a standard rod change box. Last pic was during fabrication of the brackets and linkages.

Back to the top
I believe if you mount them inside then you need to cut holes through the bulkhead. Underneath you only need to draw them by the exhaust manifold & drill two new mounting holes as two will not line up.

Back to the top
Those pics help alot cheers.

I guess running them inside the car eliminates clearance issues underneath like exhaust etc.

Also won't have to make the existing hole for the old shifter any bigger.

Back to the top

Raul said

Correct. I used a piece of stainless plate I had lying around and some sealer of some sort to plate up the old hole to prevent any drafts… Couple of holes drilled in the right place and mounting was done in minutes. Can also position the shifter to suit your driving position. I'm 6'4", so pulled mine back tight against the handbrake have recently lifted it up a little too, which is better than extending the stick, as you don't increase the throw of the lever.

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

Raul said

Correct. I used a piece of stainless plate I had lying around and some sealer of some sort to plate up the old hole to prevent any drafts… Couple of holes drilled in the right place and mounting was done in minutes. Can also position the shifter to suit your driving position. I'm 6'4", so pulled mine back tight against the handbrake have recently lifted it up a little too, which is better than extending the stick, as you don't increase the throw of the lever.

I'm liking this Al, very helpful indeed, thanks.

Any shots of how it enters into the bay at all?

Back to the top
What ya got to remember is if you want to keep the interior stock then mounting inside is not possible, ive been debating myself what todo but finally decided to mount underneath..

Pros/Cons

Underneath

Pro's, you can use the stock interior to keep it original as possible

Con's, modified exhaust to get round the the casing, if ya happy to have ya gearshift 2"s shorter then nps but if ya want the lengh then ya need to cut off the mk1 stick and weld onto the cable stick, plus some drilling needed  and grinding to fit flush to the tunnel

Inside

Pro's, no messing with the exhaust, no need to lengthen the stick, no mods to fit in place

Con's, wont be able to use the stock center console, need to find a center console can use a corrado one but it wont marry with the mk1 dash, the cables will have to be hidden by summit or there gonna be visable all the times..

Heres a link to mount underneath but you will have to reg to the club website to see them

Gearshift Tower Underneath

MK1 Golf 4x4 Build
MK1 Golf 4X4 | Facebook

Back to the top
Al do you have any measurements for the brackets you made im liking that mod alot lol my rod change catches my 20vt downpipe and did look at doing something similar

Back to the top
Hi guys. Here is a picture of my cable conversion on the bench, it's just roughly put together here but you can see the principal. Uses an 02a cable with my own adaptor on to an 020 box. The cables come straight through the passenger foot well. I race in Hillclimbs and Sprints so I didn't worry about where the cables went really and spent more time on the shifting action than where the cables went as it didn't matter to me. SHould work on a road car but would need a little more planning on cable runs. Works fine.

Back to the top
id have to come from the other side with the cables as i have a turbo in the way looks very good tho

Back to the top
Like those cable conversions, did think about that myself because i reckon rod linkages have caused me more problems than anything else. now going 02a so will have cables anyway

Back to the top
Like those cable conversions, did think about that myself because i reckon rod linkages have caused me more problems than anything else. now going 02a so will have cables anyway

Back to the top

Raul said

Any shots of how it enters into the bay at all?

Sorry dude - no…

That gearbox in the pic is a spare, I actually installed it with engine and box in place, so a bit tight for piccies…

It comes through the bulkhead and turns quite tight into the bracket you see on the side of the box. Cables run smooth though.

@ TattyMk1 - Nice - I like your method too. Uses less joints than mine. Your the only other person I have seen do a DIY cable conversion on a standard box!

@ bens_cab - No sorry, made it up on the fly as a proto-type. Idea was to remove and remake if it worked, though it has been on the car for about 4 years, with no issues!

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

gearbox3 by www.pix-al.co.uk, on Flickr

gearbox4 by www.pix-al.co.uk, on Flickr

gearbox2 by www.pix-al.co.uk, on Flickr

Shifter was from a Passat…?
Slightly different in that it is linked to a standard rod change box. Last pic was during fabrication of the brackets and linkages.

Great pics !! Can I ask how you found routing the cables through the bulkhead ??? As Im thinking of doing this but going a bit more to the left of where you went through the bulkhead (in your second pic), as to keep the cables in line with the exhaust tunnel, if that makes sense, cheers

G60

Back to the top
I had to move the hole closer to the pedals due to the bends required to get the cables lined up right with the gearbox.

If you go with something similar to TattyMk1's set-up, you will get a more direct line, however the length of the cables means you might have them kink up then down inside the car?

Back to the top
When I get 5 mins I will upload some pics of the install to give an idea of where it goes as it may help someone. But as I said I didn't spend much time worrying about where it went as it didn't matter to me. Don't know if you guys have had a look at CAE's web site in Germany? They do some nice 020 conversions but quite expensive. Can't remember the web site address but you should be able to find it.

AL_Mk1 Must be the air around here as I notice you are just up the road from me!

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

I had to move the hole closer to the pedals due to the bends required to get the cables lined up right with the gearbox.

If you go with something similar to TattyMk1's set-up, you will get a more direct line, however the length of the cables means you might have them kink up then down inside the car?

That makes sense thanks for getting back to me, im using a 02A box so im hoping the cables run a little smoother if that makes sense

When I get 5 mins I will upload some pics of the install to give an idea of where it goes as it may help someone. But as I said I didn't spend much time worrying about where it went as it didn't matter to me. Don't know if you guys have had a look at CAE's web site in Germany? They do some nice 020 conversions but quite expensive. Can't remember the web site address but you should be able to find it.

That would be really handy thanks TattyMk1's !! Yeah i have seen the cae shifters but really expensive, besides I like the bespoke look  :lol:

G60

Back to the top

TattyMK1 said

AL_Mk1 Must be the air around here as I notice you are just up the road from me!

LOL - Didn't notice your location. What is more spooky is that I work in Ammanford! Where abouts are you?

CAE stuff - Yes, I have seen that too. Very expensive and I think that is actually what gave me the idea to make my own. I was looking at the motorsport cable shifter towers and needed some way to connect to the rod box as I am tight and didn't want to do the full conversion. I think someone on a forum somewhere pointed out the CAE stuff. I made up my bracket with the intention of making a motorsport style shifter too, though that bit never materialised!

Back to the top
AL_Mk1 - I'm actually in Llandybie, see link below, give you an idea where and what I get up to with my Mk1. There are some vids towards the bottom one with last years motor and some with this years motor in (lots of trick bits and some F3 stuff as well, putting out around 200bhp but still 8v).

www.avkmotorsport.co.uk

Back to the top
Looks quick - Sounds nice!

Do you actually have a workshop that you work from, or is that address your home?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.