Skip navigation

Project Sleeper - Mk1 Golf 20vT AEB... Now Runs :)

Back to the top

Project Sleeper - Mk1 Golf 20vT AEB... Now Runs :)

GaryGTi83 said

Dubwanabe said

Did u get this golf off the housing estate on Church Road ?

Quite possibly yes. Its based in bispham now just off Ashfield road mate.

i think its the one off church road i always used to see it quite a tidy motor and your plans sound good. good luck

Back to the top
Cheers pal.

I now have the car booked in for a full resto job and respray, however this means sourcing some new parts, to make the bodywork tip top.

I still havent yet decided on the colour all though ill leaning towards the audi white.

New panels include, Full Rear Valance Panel and Front Panel. Hoping to be able to save the doors, but after further inspection, ill be trying to source both driver and passenger sides over the next few weeks :D

The idea is to the keep the engine, and clean everything up…

I'll be now starting a new thread for this beauty ' Project Sleeper'

Many thanks for reading

Gary

Back to the top
hey what rims are dose(the white ones) :)

Back to the top
That looks in really good condition for £800 :) nice find, Im liking the wheels too. I noticed your thinking of black and silver number plates, wanted to do that with mine but they would be illegal, the car has to be pre 73 unless yours is a 73? Maybe it would be ok… but I work with a copper and he said I cant have them :(

\'Check Your Nuts!\'  My partner has just been through an operation and chemotherapy for Testicular Cancer and is only 29. He had no lump or pain, just became swollen… If in doubt, get to the doctor!

Back to the top

g0gata said

hey what rims are dose(the white ones) :)

They are 15" OZ Racing wheels. Im not sure if they still make them but they were the nuts a few years back. The Red stickers have been taken off the front which makes them look alot better in my opinion. Will be selling soon for bbs or ats classic depending on setup  :)

Back to the top

barnsey said

That looks in really good condition for £800 :) nice find, Im liking the wheels too. I noticed your thinking of black and silver number plates, wanted to do that with mine but they would be illegal, the car has to be pre 73 unless yours is a 73? Maybe it would be ok… but I work with a copper and he said I cant have them :(

Thanks for the heads up. Tbh i wondered why more people didnt have them on. Seeing as mines an 83 i doubt i will have the luxury of fitting these  :wink:

Back to the top
Havent updated this for a while, so here goes….

More Pics tommorrow… time for dvd and wine now :)

Back to the top
Bargain! Looks brilliant - Great project!

I bet that the engine sounds sweet :D ?

How's the UK legislation regarding retrofitting of bikecarbs? Is it legal?

1982 - Mk1 Golf 2.0 AGG 8v - 158 HP / 202 NM

Back to the top

Hurtig said

Bargain! Looks brilliant - Great project!

I bet that the engine sounds sweet :D ?

How's the UK legislation regarding retrofitting of bikecarbs? Is it legal?

It was an animal to drive. Running a 150hp engine with a close ratio gearbox on carbs is quite fun i can assure you :)

Regarding the legislation, im slightly unsure. Im not aware it is illegal to run this setup, aslong as you declare engine spec to dvla and insurance. I could be wrong :)

Back to the top

Back to the top
Everything is stripped out and its on its way to the BodyShop.

Just trying to source some last VAG parts and all will be well. Ended up purchasing some hadrian panels from cars2.co.uk. I can honestly say they must be the worst copied panels i have ever tried to fit. The repair panels do the job but the wings are just awful. So now trying to source some new genuine wings and doors to help complete the mk1 bodywork.

I have decided to keep her mars red and reclaim some of the gti interior that was lost when it was used as a track car.

Here are some pics of what ive been upto

Just need to get the Crank bolt out but struggling atm  :banghead:

Thats it for the week though as im jetting off to sunny Costa Del Sol tomorrow  :wink:

Back to the top
Finally got the crank bolt off and now have the ABF fully stripped down. Not sure what my plans are yet regarding internal upgrades
but hopefully rebuilding for around 200hp with either the bike carbs still or a webber setup.

Im on the motorway today to meet sphmk1 down in Birmingham for some doors, and also picking up a new sunroof for my tintop from a mk2 scrappers.

Ill update some more pictures tomorrow of the car in the bodyshop with its new panels.

:lol:

Back to the top
Rotten Rear Panel Out

Pattern Panel - Need original one really  :banghead:

A Big Stick  :wink:

Discovered New Rot

Inside Sun Roof

Rear Arch

And Smoothed up  8)

New Rear Panel from Foxymk1

Mk1 Doors in quality nick - £20 each from Sphmk1  :D

And Lastly…… Can you guess whats under this???  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Great thread and a class project  8)

Is it a TVR under the cover?

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.

Back to the top

Desperado said

Great thread and a class project  8)

Is it a TVR under the cover?

Actually Very Close. Not with the Car, but actually where mine is based is literally across the road from the old TVR Factory in Blackpool.

You wont be dissapointed though :)

Dodge Viper Convertable RT/10

Back to the top
Any way back to the car, and believe me alot of work has been done to this car.

Hopefully i wont miss anything.

Firstly any Resto Build is incomplete without some of these

Onto the Inside, and you can see everything has now been removed, sanded downed and ready for primer

Moving onto the Back - Removed alot of the old patches witch have covered up random holes

As you can see a new back panel installed with factory seam welds refitted to keep it more original.

Engine bay

All Cleaned up - And believe me this took days and days to clean as im sure most of you know :)
27 Years of fun doesn't leave many nice shiny surfaces.

Battery Tray removed - Will be relocated inside the car instead.

The Bonnet Catchment - Lots of rust around it and has there for been cut out, new metal fitted, re-welded back in and smoothed, primed and re drilled.

The Front Panel near Splitter - Think the splitter has been ripped off at somepoint leaving too rusty holes approx 10mm in size. The Panel
was twisted with bangs and huge dents, and has been repulled back out in places, and filled back up to look beautiful again. Really wanted the keep the orginal VAG panel.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A Few more pictures of what is needed to be done before primer can go down

Two weeks away from getting her back finally from Craig in brand new paint :)

Back to the top
keeping it mars red i hope

Back to the top
Sure am :D

Back to the top
Update…

Ill let the pictures do the talking

Refurbished Sunroof

Workbench Prepped :P

Brand New Mars Red

Back to the top
Things to come next.

New Suspension - FK's or Weitec's
New Brake Setup
Jenvey Throttle Boddies
New Engine Management - Omex or Emerald
Nitrous - hopefully depending how much strain the engine will be under. Looking for only around 25hp

New Exterior Parts. Grille, Lights, Small Bumpers and trim

8)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.