Skip navigation

Nice easy one, for people who know! How to fit rear stut

Back to the top

Nice easy one, for people who know! How to fit rear stut

Hi. I bought a OMP rear strut for my mk1 but just want to make sure i'm doing it right. Can anyone tell me please? Also to get the strut on top of the suspention do you have to higher the car with a jack because it looks like there isn't enough room.. Thanks all.

Back to the top
do you mean a strut brace? just attaches to the tops of the struts inside the boot.  just open boot lid and attach, no need to jack up etc

Back to the top
Yer strut brace. Ok cheers for that i'll have a look. again. Do you use the nuts already there or add another set? Does the cup of the brace sit down or up? Cheers.

Back to the top
the strut brace is hitting the top where the rear parcel clips onto so it's not able to sit on top of the suspension.

Back to the top
Stick up a pic.
I had an omp brace on an old mk1 and don.t remember having this problem.

……………………………………………………

Back to the top
OK thanks will do. Your golf looks awesome.

Back to the top
How the hell do i post pictures  :?

Back to the top

Back to the top
link doesnt work dude. to post pics you need a hosting site such as photobucket - theres a guide on here somewhere.

from what you are describing, it sounds like the brace replaces the top nuts and washers on the top of the struts? if so then the washer dish needs to be pointing up.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Cheers mate. now got photo working. Thought this was going to be a piece of cake.

Back to the top

Looks like because yours is five door it has different shelf supports to a 3 door?
As you can see there is loads of room on mine.

……………………………………………………

Back to the top
looks like you take off the nut off the top of the struts, slide it over and re do the nut up.  You might have to remove the parcel shelf supports to get it in and put them back on once its fitted

Back to the top
Looks like a front lower strut brace, not a rear one.

Back to the top
Thanks for the help. I'll get in contact with OMP. Can't remove the parcel shelf because it's apart of the shell. I'll let you guys know the outcome. Thanks for the help.

Back to the top
Defo a rear one, mine was the same except it was red.

Does it not just unbolt from below? Never seen a 5 door one but surely its not metal and welded is it?

……………………………………………………

Back to the top
Got one too bud, its the right one m8 - just slide under the existing nuts

Mk1'83 G60
Mk1'82 2.0L 8v
Mk1'93 GTI
Sportline

Back to the top
Is this a Citi Golf? Didn't think any of the originals have welded in shelf supports.

Not going to be a simple bolt in job. Some modification might be required… There is an easy 15mm you can cut off the top of that brace.

Back to the top
It's a Rivage. I think i may have to cut the strut down. Def don't want to chop the car rather put the brace in the bin. OMP still havn't got back to me so think i might give it the chop. Cheers.

Back to the top
There's no real benefit of fitting one of these in a cabriolet as the shell already has the large strengthening panel between the rear wheel arch tubs.  :(

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.