Skip navigation

1985 GTi Cabby

Back to the top

1985 GTi Cabby

chortle said

Unfortunately he has sold the hood with the car…

No worries, thanks anyway

1985 Mk1 GTi Cabrio

1954 2332cc Oval Beetle

1965 Notchback

1966 Split Screen Devon Camper

2005 V6 Touareg

Back to the top
Anyone know about the switch in my previous post and drivers manual (so I don't have to keep posting these dumb ass questions)

1985 Mk1 GTi Cabrio

1954 2332cc Oval Beetle

1965 Notchback

2005 V6 Touareg

Back to the top

Colour chart

So I'm starting to think about a respray, the question is do I keep it original, period original or something completely different.  1985 was a pretty austere year for the Golf Cabrio, here's the options list!

Not even a leather option.

My wife hates the Gold, so I'm tempted to keep it that colour just to pee her off  :lol: I don't see it as being a particularly collectible year / option so maybe some improvements won't go amiss.  Decisions, decisions..

1985 Mk1 GTi Cabrio

1954 2332cc Oval Beetle

1965 Notchback

2005 V6 Touareg

Back to the top
Recent work has been to fit a new cam belt and injectors. Once warm it's running sweet now and sounding great, like a perfect GTi, but still lumpy when cold due to a duff warm up regulator, so I'm trying to find somewhere to buy (anyone?).

Gearbox is not leaking any more so happy to leave well alone for the summer.

Next job is to fit the set of 3 gauges bought recently.

1985 Mk1 GTi Cabrio

1954 2332cc Oval Beetle

1965 Notchback

2005 V6 Touareg

Back to the top
Brown interior trim is extremely difficult to find, well done.

Not sure I agree about the bronze being the worng Colour  :lol:
But my lads would agree whole heartedly.

1988 1.8 carb Golf Clipper

Back to the top
Unfortunately one of the door cards has been replaced with a Black one so I'm on the look out for a brown one.  The wants list of parts is growing  :roll:

Going to put some miles on it over the coming week as I'm off work.

1985 Mk1 GTi Cabrio

1954 2332cc Oval Beetle

1965 Notchback

2005 V6 Touareg

Back to the top
The injectors have made a huge difference, I was hoping to put in a new warm up regulator but got side tracked with my Beetle.

1985 Mk1 GTi Cabrio

1954 2332cc Oval Beetle

1965 Notchback

2005 V6 Touareg

Back to the top
love that interior! looks like metal diamond plating!  keep it gold, so its all about you making the decisions lol, on the other hand, if its just the colour that determines whether she likes the car or not, id say change it! mine missus doesnt like me car and id love it if she liked it! might be an idea to see if the colours you were thinking of line up with what she likes?

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top
The car has now been named Douglas (Hurd = Turd) so a colour change might be in order.  I'm away until July now so have time to decide and collect parts.

1985 Mk1 GTi Cabrio

1954 2332cc Oval Beetle

1965 Notchback

2005 V6 Touareg

Back to the top
Picked up some 14 inch BBS RA's today.

Anyone know someone who can fit a mohair hood in the Leighton Buzzard area?

1985 Mk1 GTi Cabrio

1954 2332cc Oval Beetle

1965 Notchback

2005 V6 Touareg

Back to the top
Mark at auto trim did a great job putting a new black mohair roof on. Wheels are fitted and look cool. I have also fitted gauges, spoiler and a new gear knob.  The car is really starting to come together now.

1985 Mk1 GTi Cabrio

1954 2332cc Oval Beetle

1965 Notchback

2005 V6 Touareg

Back to the top
Some pics

It's really just getting the paint sorted now, but that can wait until the weather turns.

1985 Mk1 GTi Cabrio

1954 2332cc Oval Beetle

1965 Notchback

2005 V6 Touareg

Back to the top
Looking good mate :) Very nice cabby there.

Sure it'll be perfect once you've done the paintwork!

Steff

I saw a crinkly peanut tomorrow

Back to the top
New petrol cap fitted, the paint on the old one was just too thick to get off.  

Also picked up a cheap WUR on eBay today, hopefully it works, the car is a real pain for the first 5 minutes or so on start up, but fine when its running so hope this does the trick.

1985 Mk1 GTi Cabrio

1954 2332cc Oval Beetle

1965 Notchback

2005 V6 Touareg

Back to the top
I spent a very trying day today - while I was away on a business trip my keys went mysteriously missing, we think my 2 year old put them in the recycling. Anyway, long story short they were lost.  So new ignition barrel to fit, this started with breaking into the car (easy), removing the crook lock, not too bad with an angle grinder, replacing the ignition barrel, not too bad once the column is drilled in the right spot.  

Now the tricky part, a cat 2 thatcham alarm.  I had to trace the wiring, remove and re-join the ignition wires.  This was a pig of a job as the centre cosul and carpet had to come out.  Anyway got that done and all back in so now have a working car once again.  I need to get all of the locks re-keyed now but I think Crazy does that.  

The remaining challenge is to get boot lock out which means some how getting the boot open.  

Any ideas on this anyone?

1985 Mk1 GTi Cabrio

1954 2332cc Oval Beetle

1965 Notchback

2005 V6 Touareg

Back to the top
to get into the boot it would be best to go in through the rear seats :)

Banner

Back to the top

jellybelly said

to get into the boot it would be best to go in through the rear seats :)

I've managed that bit, just not sure how to remove the lock, I'm hoping it's simple but not holding my breath!

1985 Mk1 GTi Cabrio

1954 2332cc Oval Beetle

1965 Notchback

2005 V6 Touareg

Back to the top
A little bit of an update, the car gets used a lot and many bits are failing as age takes its toll along with heavy usage - 3 kids and a holiday around Dorset didn't help!  I'm trying to keep on top of everything though and have replaced everything as it's gone, including some of the lock seals, door card clips, seat cables, trim clips etc etc as they have broken or fallen off.

Today I tarted up the face of the car, fitting new chrom grill surround and a new window rubber trim insert.  With the deeper GTi spoiler I think it makes a world of difference. I'm on the hunt for an original bumper with chrome insert now to finish it off and match the rear.

Other things on the to do list are - get the hood adjusted as it makes an horrendous noise at 60mph +, this is just an adjustment issue as it's all new mohair.  The radio needs to be replaced with a period Blaupunkt unit and after my sons assistance washing the car today I need a new aerial  :roll:

I thought about selling it for a while and getting something 'done' but it's quite good fun fixing things - I got an immense satisfaction from getting gauges and lights working again.

Here's as it was when I picked it up

and after today

(I guess you need to know what you are looking for  :lol: )

1985 Mk1 GTi Cabrio

1954 2332cc Oval Beetle

1965 Notchback

2005 V6 Touareg

Back to the top
Looks ace, I think the changes you have made make all the difference. Simple subtle changes sometimes make massive improvements I think.

Back to the top
Thanks!

Really need to get the hood sorted - if anyone knows a good company in the Windsor area, please let me know.

Sorted the handbrake warning light, cigarette lighter (they're a bugger to change the orange plastic to green they come with), boot light and heater control light.

The glove box spring is broken, checked through the heater vent and can see the plastic retainer has cracked - I doubt there is a fix to this so will have to live with it.

1985 Mk1 GTi Cabrio

1954 2332cc Oval Beetle

1965 Notchback

2005 V6 Touareg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.