Skip navigation

VR6 project - going well

Back to the top

mk1 vr6 build

VR6 project - going well

also wondering what is the best way to clean window seals?

Back to the top
rather confused, when i bought this shell i was assured that once upon a time it was a 1.1 petrol, i have just removed the tank to find it half full of red diesel?

Back to the top

Re: mk1 vr6 build

add1989 said

I got some industrial floor cleaner and did mine in the kitchen sink with a plastic/nylon brillo, they came up ok…considering they had three different colours of rattle can spray and were a bit rusty too!

Back to the top

Re: mk1 vr6 build

shadydaz said

add1989 said

I got some industrial floor cleaner and did mine in the kitchen sink with a plastic/nylon brillo, they came up ok…considering they had three different colours of rattle can spray and were a bit rusty too!

ok cheers il give that a go. and mine are the same, paint, rust and alot of realy tough grime. however luckily i dont have quite so many coats of paint to contend with  :lol:

Back to the top
a bit of progress made over this weekend, for a start i finaly got the boot lid finished up, it had so many coats of paint to take off i almost gave up, but im prety chuffed with it now.

i tried cleaning the seal with some floor cleaner as sugested, i left it to pickle over night and it did do some good however its stil not perfect.

i took out the rear axle and fuel tank for a light refurb, they are in overall very good nick, look beter for a clean up and a lick of sealent. i also replaced the rear servos as they were siezed and pads.

dont even think the feul tank needs stripping i might just lather it in sealent

Back to the top
i also started working towards the rear of the car underneath as most of the front is done over all prety good, no nasty suprises

poor redundant go kart being used as a parts rack

Back to the top
anybody got a good second hand mig welder for sale?

Back to the top
All refurbished parts are now back on, with the addition of some new coilover springs and wheels.

Back to the top
What type of wheels are those please
They look lovely.

Mk1 golf GTI 1.8 - bargain buy
Suzuki Samurai - 4WD 1.7 TD Conversion - Off roader

Back to the top
have you got a full set of them pug wheels and are they for sale

Back to the top
the wheels are multifit wheels, i think they are ripspeed, they came off a freinds vauxhaul corsa c. i did have a full set of those pug wheels nd some nice 17'' 5 spokes, they all got scrapped in recently with my mk3 gti, sad times  :cry:

Back to the top
right iv got my vr lump and im making alot of progress il update some pics as soon as i can but im in despirate need of some help. iv got the engine stripped down and found some issues with the cylinder head and block. itlooks to me that over time the head gasket has failed and water has corroded the alloy. i need to find out if there is a fix for this or is it new block and head time. it be alloy welded and skimmed?

corrosion on head

mirrored on the block

Back to the top

flying now

Ok so, lots of progress. Head has been in for repair + port polish  :D.              

also new valves and guides and a bit of detailing

and with a bit of a jump in the progress ( my bad for no pics, heres were im upto, colours look a bit odd for now but once fully dressed it should look the part

Back to the top
Looks spot on mate. Keep it going  8)

Back to the top
Love the attention to detail.

Back to the top
Cheers for the comments guys, il update again soon

Back to the top
Looking goo mate. Are you keeping her 5 stud or using the VR hubs and what shafts will you be using? Just asking as Im currently using the vr hubs but having an issue with the passenger driveshaft being a tad to long! :banghead:

Back to the top
Ill be keeping the 4 stud hubs, im guessing you went down the costom mounts route Rather then mk3 subframe?. From the infomation iv gathered drive shats can be a bit of trouble, how well standard driveshafts fit is obviously gover ned by box position. i think when i come to fitting ill position the engine as far over to driverside chassis leg as i can and let a snug fit of pasenger side driveshaft determine the tolerances, then the driverside driveshaft will be totaly custom. Has this left your driverside shaft short? Do you have a build thread? Always after a gander at anything vr

Back to the top
In the prosses of fitting mk2 gti front and rear hubs disks and calipers, all fits sweet apart from bottom joint off the wishbone seems to be to small and just drops out when its nipped up? :/ Do i need mk2 wishbones?

Back to the top
add1989 i think mk2 ball joint is 19mm and mk1 is 17mm best to check first as im not 100%
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.