Skip navigation

Which coilovers?

Back to the top

Which coilovers?

Hi there, I bought my golf a while back and am now getting a bit sick of how hard the ride is. I cringe every time I see a speed bump or pot hole approaching (I try and avoid most but some you just cant help).  Can anyone empathise with me and suggest coilovers that's nice to ride on? Thanks.

Matt

Back to the top
in my opinion no coilovers will ride well especialy if you go low, the spring rates have to be increased to stop the car munching the floor……….it would help if you gave us a budget aswell as you can spend 1000s on coilovers with damping and compresion adjustment etc but we dont know how much your wanting to spend

Just my 10p

rob

Back to the top
Its not too low, just low enough so the tyres don't rub the arches as I have wheel spacers on. Oh i hadn't really thought about them price wise but wouldn't like to go any higher than 400-500. So just lookng for the best ones for a reasonable amount.

Back to the top
Ok well here are some options:

AP adjustable damping but wont go super low and a bit over budget

Avo adjustable damping with more lows that the AP

These are pretty much the only kits with damping adjust anywhere close to your budget and generaly all other cheaper kits nomatter what brand will be 30% increased damping, i have FK on mine and they arnt the end of the world but certainly not comfortable.

Just depends as like with everything you get what you pay for  :dontknow:

Rob

Back to the top
Thanks for the advice rob. I'll check those two out and keep my options open now I know the kind of thing to go for. Cheers :)

Back to the top
No problem,

Aslong as you remember that you deffo get what you pay for and suspension is a very importatnt comonant group you cant go far wrong, just dont but ebay specials etc and you cant go wrong

rob

Back to the top
Anything other than JOMS is what i recommend lol

Back to the top

Rizzo said

Anything other than JOMS is what i recommend lol

……or Raceland……..or Hot Tuning!

Mk1'83 G60
Mk1'82 2.0L 8v
Mk1'93 GTI
Sportline

Back to the top
I have Weitec and at a sensible height, and its not that far off a standard GTI for comfort.

Back to the top
I have KWs brilliant but costly maybe you get what you pay for ?

Back to the top
could you recommend the best budget coilovers, under 300?

Back to the top
The general message is "You get what you pay for". So, look at £400+ for decent suspension. So it follows, that anything under £300 isn't going to be up to the task. Maybe there is something out there, but I'm pretty sure all the budget stuff is much of a muchness.

Back to the top
From what Ive heard FK Highsports arent too bad, and not too bad on the wallet either.

Back to the top
Coilovers under £300 are £300 or under for a very good reason it has to be said………..

i cant see the point of coilovers if your going for "sensible height" as you might aswell get far superior handling and comfort from very hugh quality shock and spring kits….

Rob

Back to the top
hi,

Im in process of trying to decide whether to go for springs/shocks kit or coilies for my mk1 golf gti cabrio (sportline).
Im on a budget like most ppl and def dont want to spend £400-£500+. Had AP coils recommended by voodoo motorsport for £340 (£400 fitted). But then after doing some research and reading up on other threads. someone mentioned that if your not planning to change the stance of the car once its set on coilies then your better of getting springs/shocks kit as its ride comfort is alot better while still getting the handling and look. I dont think i would ever change the ride height settings after its set up. So am now opting to go with springs/shocks kit. Had a AP shocks/springs kit from voodoo quoted at £250 40/30 drop. Im also not planning on changing my bbs 15' rims. Is 40/30 low enough? I dont want a big gap between the arch n wheels. Is 40/30 low enough on 15' rims? Not sure what it would look like?

What would you guys/girls do?
Tim what do you think? You seem like someone who knows what there talking about.

Any help, advice etc would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Back to the top
In all honesty it depends on exactly what look your going for, i like all my cars to be low and stanced so always go for coilovers.

If ride quality is a big concern i would go for shocks and springs however the issue there is that you cant get the exact stance that you are after as the ride height is pre set therefore you are stuck with that height that you purchase otherwise it time to buy more springs of different lengths.

You say you will be running 15" wheels but what widths and offesets os this will dictate how low you can go due to arches catching if you go too low on wide or low offset wheels and also your tire profiles.

In essance i suppose it depends exactly what you want

Cheers

Rob

Back to the top
I think in that case, because I'd like to go for a smoother ride, shocks and springs sounds like a good shout. When it comes down to buying new suspension I'll measure the distance between the center of the wheel and the arches so I know how much lowness to go for. If you're thinking about shocks and springs too, Comz, then maybe try that. Just need to make sure you get the measurement right and you're happy with it. Thanks

Matt

Back to the top
matt what you say is correct but remember you still have to consider wheel size, width and offset when doing this as unless you never plan to change wheels spec you cant be sure the measurement will work for every wheel, infact even just tyre profile can have an effect i.e. catching the arches when stearing or under compresion………

Just something else to consider if your going down the static lowering route

Rob

Back to the top
hey guys,

thanks for the reply.

Yes, i mean ride quality is what everyone really would want with the looks and handling. But the main thing with me is that i wont be changing the wheels 15' bbs ra's 195/50/15 or the ride height, even if i went for coils. So am thinking its the best thing and i would benefit the most if i get springs/shocks.
I want the stance to look like its filled all the gaps on arches thats all. So an even look on both ends really. Dont want to slam the car. I was trying to upload a pic as a example of another cabrio same as mine with the ideal stance i want, but am being really thick and cant work out how to lol?  

Any kits you can suggest at all?

Thanks again

Comz

Back to the top
afraid i cant say much on springs and shocks, what i will say is buy the most expensive ypu can afford, you get what you pay for with these things as your paying for development……..

If you link and kits your looking at i will have a look

as for pics you need to join photobucket or similar then upload it to there then get the image tag and post it here

If you want i will post it for you

rob

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.